I Think I'm going to Sell Everything...
Oct 2, 2006 at 8:59 AM Post #16 of 29
Thanks for sharing. I am using my E500 close to eight hours a day, but I prefer and enjoy coming home to my HD-650 after work. The soundstage.. air.. pressure. Cans are better for me, in comparison to E500, even though the latter are great!

My setup at home is probably quite bad so I guess there is more to gain... (PC -> E-MU 0404 -> Some cheap AMP -> Standard cabled HD-650).

I am very interested in getting a portable AMP for the E500's as my next upgrade, but I don't know what to get.. Suggestions are welcome (max $150?).

Oct 2, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #17 of 29
I feel like I am where you were at the beginning of your journey. The difficult part of this is that you have to go through the expensive steps and almost go beyond your ideal setup in order to have the perspective to reach such a realization. I hope to be there someday.

Oct 2, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jooel
Thanks for sharing. I am using my E500 close to eight hours a day, but I prefer and enjoy coming home to my HD-650 after work. The soundstage.. air.. pressure. Cans are better for me, in comparison to E500, even though the latter are great!

My setup at home is probably quite bad so I guess there is more to gain... (PC -> E-MU 0404 -> Some cheap AMP -> Standard cabled HD-650).

I am very interested in getting a portable AMP for the E500's as my next upgrade, but I don't know what to get.. Suggestions are welcome (max $150?).

Limiting yourself to $150 on the amp really cuts down your options, but for that money, I dont think you can go wrong with a PINT.

You'll get better responses over in the amps forum, try posting in there.

Oct 2, 2006 at 1:17 PM Post #19 of 29
If you can extend to $200 the Xin Supermicro (~$180) is perfect for the e500's (quality and size). I can only assume the Supermini would be about the same (~$200). To be fair, I haven't heard any of the cheaper amps, but the micro is arguably in the same class with the sr-71 (a half notch below maybe).

Quote:

Originally Posted by jooel

Oct 2, 2006 at 2:48 PM Post #20 of 29
Hey man, that's *awesome* you found what you truly love. No review can show you the way; you have to find it yourself and you've done that! Pursue high-end IEM's with a passion! Though I probably won't share your passion for IEM's, I do know what it's like to go against the grain, preferring smaller transducers to large ones - namely, headphones over speakers. As great as excellent speaker setups are (one of which I own), I much prefer listening to music with a great set of headphones. Recently I've been eyeing pieces of my 2ch speaker rig, contemplating downsizing there to fund further pursuit of the ultimate head-fi experience (almost there)
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:25 PM Post #21 of 29
Very happy for you. Congratulations. I often find myself at the same type of crossroads and have found that my journey typically goes through a build up and sell off phase, and currently I've been selling off a lot of gear.

The world of custom IEMs can be highly rewarding when you find that right, magical combo for you and the music you listen to.

I would caution you however that there is no perfect IEM, they all have the puts and takes. Do you research before you buy because once you do, there's no going back.

This advice comes from someone who owns Westone ES2, ES3, Sensaphonics 2Xs, UE10Pro, and UE5c.

Best combinations I have found:
For clarity, detail and resolution:
iMod iPod > ALO Cotton mini to Cardas Rhodium Cryo'd RCA (ALO) > Larocco PRII > UE10pro

For musical, gorgeous midrange, a little warmth and some killer bass:
iMod iPod > Zynsonix EYS mini to mini > Ray Samuels Hornet (original with Panasonic cap) > Westone ES2.

Good luck and enjoy the music.

Oct 2, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #23 of 29
nice post! there was also one point in time where i thought the e500 would be good enough and i'll stick to that and sell everything else. however, i do find IEM's a little stressful in the ears after awhile and i need some headphones where the sound is not "stuck in my head" but out there. but i'm glad you finally came to a decision on what makes you happy.

Oct 2, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #24 of 29
It's great that you found what "does it" for you, since most of us - I think - are still searching. But, keep in mind that preferences can and do change over time
wink.gif

I would second the idea to get the Stax portable setup (or the SR-003 and an amp). It gives you an IEM-ish soundstage (though it's wider than any IEM soundstage I've heard save perhaps the ES2) but with a very unique sound signature that balanced armatures just can't do, and is very enjoyable. The portable setup can compliment your IEM setup and can be used in places when you don't need isolation, or when you feel like sharing the music with others (a major downside for custom-molded IEM's). Overall I'd rate it as on par with the ES2/Hornet combo, though the latter is a bit more well-rounded.

I like the closeness of IEM's, but it's not the end of the road for me.

Oct 3, 2006 at 10:23 AM Post #25 of 29
@Stangs55

I think you might have done a big mistake selling your Amp/DAC. From what I read in your post, you like intimacy in HPs and that's why you prefer IEMs to the HPs you had/tested so far.

But, do you see a pattern here? The HPs you listed are all open HPs, they can not provide any intimacy. You should have tried some great closed HPs like ATH or Sony in your rig, those are the only HPs which provide sound comparable to that of IEMs but much more refined to me.

-Alex

Oct 10, 2006 at 12:13 PM Post #28 of 29
I'm glad for you! I recently sold my premium upgraded MPX3 and K701's and have returned to IEM's, too. In fact, I am deriving more enjoyment from a Meier Headfive and the UE Super.fi 5 Pros than I ever did from the MPX3/K701--and at about 1/5 the price! I, too, prefer the intimacy and headspace of IEM's. I haven't tried the e500's, yet, but have enjoyed the ER-4S and now the S.f5Pro.

tongue.gif

Oct 10, 2006 at 12:23 PM Post #29 of 29
Nice post.

I am really a newbie with IEMs. I only have CX300, which I bought to test the water. Even with these I have seen the light. The detail and intimacy. Now I want something better which works with home amps better (the CX300 is 16ohm and hisses on an xcan)

Would I part with my 650's? No. But then I hate selling stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back