I think I'm finished with Head-Fi. Anyone else?
Oct 19, 2007 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

evilking

CAUTION: INCOMPLETE TRADES.
After just two years on this forum, I finished my both my portable and home rig. Neither are high end in the slightest, I just can't find anything else to buy, nothing's missing!

My portable rig consists of a Sony HD5H (30gb) and Etymotic ER4P/S. No portable amp and I've tried upwards of ∞, they really don't do enough to the sound to compensate for the extra hassle and bulk. I had the HD5 a long time ago and I've come back to it for many reasons (too many to list), Sonicstage is a non-issue. I've own/tested every non-custom IEM I could lay my hands on, often many at the same time (the only way to properly analyse the sound, IMO) and I've chosen the ER4.

My home rig consists of bit-perfect optical from a PC/Laptop and a Beresford TC-7510 MK6 (using the integrated headphone amp). Again, I've tried many home amps, even the pretty ones (hmm, that special tubular glow
cool.gif
), and I'm content with the integrated Beresford
rolleyes.gif
. Also, I believe FLAC-to-bit perfect-optical transports are as good as it gets, £1000 CD players are ridiculous
plainface.gif
(not that I haven't "trialed" any
wink.gif
).

My headphone list is rather small but provides everything I could ask for and everything I want. Grado 325i, Beyerdynamic DT660 and DT860 (2007). That's it. While I have heard better, I'm 100 percent content with these three. I'm still tempted every now and again (I did preorder the new Sony V1s, fortunately I cancelled before they shipped
rolleyes.gif
), but everything my mind tells me is "better" in some way, compromises too much.

I find that most of my recent visits to Head-Fi are made out of boredom (usually while waiting for some event to complete at work/home) rather than the quest for more headphone fidelity. There's still plenty to spend money on (solid gold cables
very_evil_smiley.gif
), but I can always find something more suitable throw my cash at (neverending racks of CDs
biggrin.gif
)!

Has anyone else finished with Head-Fi? Anyone very close?

EK

Oct 19, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 56
In the end, it seems to depend on why you're here.

Laz

Oct 19, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 56
I finish every few years, then come back for more punishment!

If you really are finished, stay far far away!!

Oct 19, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 56
Finished with the audio at the moment, but there's always something interesting in the members lounge, such as what latest Mac apps to install, and to a lesser extent the music forum.

Oct 19, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #6 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the end, it seems to depend on why you're here.

Laz

True - I'm done with my equipment but am still here.

Oct 19, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #9 of 56
I don't feel like I've listened to enough equipment to say I'm finished, but in terms of portable equipment I'm satisfied for now. (that may change after Emmeline "The Predator" comes out though...)
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #11 of 56
Diyers are never finished. Just too much work to get done. :wink:

Oct 19, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #12 of 56
Good, now start enjoying the music and stop worrying about making minor sonic adjustments!

It's still fun to stick around even after your audio equipment is complete. There's always something interesting in Member's Lounge.

Oct 19, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #13 of 56
i'm sort of done - but only because of monetary constraints. if i had money and i think in the future (don't know when) i would like to purchase a Meridian 808 and RSA B-52. for now and for a good while, i will use my G08/Apache combo.

as for headphones, the only ones i am really interested in - in terms of potentially buying - are the L3000 and Ed.9 and maybe the GS1000. but in general, i don't see myself buying too many headphones - at least with regard to what is on the market today.

right now, i am more into tweaks and trying to experiment with different cables.

Oct 19, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #15 of 56
for the most part my rigs are done too. but i'm still here. we're all cuuuuuuuuuuuuuursed................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back