I think I want IEMS... super.fi 5 pros?
Jan 24, 2006 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

GuOD

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

So.. once again my wallet is going to take a beating. I've got hd590s and dt770/80s since I've got here and i love them both to death!!
basshead.gif

My original plan was to use my hd590s at home because they're ultra comfy and then use my dt770s on my frequent 3hour bus trips. As great as this plan was.. there's a huge flaw! I fall asleep.. and the weight of dt770s on my neck is unbelievable.. I wake up sorer than I've ever been in my entire life with a semi broken neck! So.. I've started to give them 50/50 time at home. Now, to replace these on the bus trip I want some IEMS
smily_headphones1.gif
I have sony ex51s.. which I feel are junk.. the bass is ok but some part of it is recessed (the mids?) I dunno.. but it feels like a large chunk of the music is missing.

I've heard great things about the superfi.5 pros.. and EBs of course.. since i'm a basshead. The thing is.. I have an irvier h320 with crazy bass boost so I'm sure I don't need the EB version. BUT i do have a few concerns.

1. Comfort is a huge issue for me. that's why I have hd590 and dt770. I find the softness of the ex51 tips comfy and they just slide in and out.. like it! so I want the new iems to be really comfy/soft.

2. SQ/Bass. I like bass but I also want great SQ.. much better than ex51 preferrably.

3. isolation. I wish my ex51s isolated more. I don't know if it's possible but it would be nice.

4. Price... I don't want UE10 so don't even try
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

So, these will only be used out of my remote control from the hp out on my mp3 player (using an amp is too annoying in a cramped space). the h320 has a good output anyway I think.

Thanks a lot for your input everyone! so far I've been steered perfectly.. I appreciate everyone's opinion! annd... GO!
smily_headphones1.gif

Doug

Jan 24, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuOD
1. Comfort is a huge issue for me. that's why I have hd590 and dt770. I find the softness of the ex51 tips comfy and they just slide in and out.. like it! so I want the new iems to be really comfy/soft.

2. SQ/Bass. I like bass but I also want great SQ.. much better than ex51 preferrably.

3. isolation. I wish my ex51s isolated more. I don't know if it's possible but it would be nice.

4. Price... I don't want UE10 so don't even try
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Yup, it's a great choice. The sf5pro are very comfy (most comfy IEM out there) - probably even better than the ex51 due to better material used in the tips. They have good bass but also great balanced sound quality, much more isolation than the sonys, and a decent price.

Jan 24, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #3 of 20
The 5 pros should work out well for you. The size/comfort shouldn't be much of an issue if you were ok with the EX51. The bass and overall SQ are so much better that you have to experience it to appreciate the difference. Isolation will be a bit of an improvement. You can get them for about $200 new if you shop around, and this is a fair price for what you get.

Lately I have had a strong preference for my E4s for general use, but I would recommend the 5 pros without reservation to someone who describes themself as a basshead (I can be at times).

Jan 24, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by rick1970
The 5 pros should work out well for you. The size/comfort shouldn't be much of an issue if you were ok with the EX51. The bass and overall SQ are so much better that you have to experience it to appreciate the difference. Isolation will be a bit of an improvement. You can get them for about $200 new if you shop around, and this is a fair price for what you get.

Lately I have had a strong preference for my E4s for general use, but I would recommend the 5 pros without reservation to someone who describes themself as a basshead (I can be at times).

Thank you both very much for the responses.

I do enjoy bass.. I actually listen to a flat EQ on my computer because I feel like I lose something in the music when I bump the bass (it drowns other stuff out) but when i'm using my h320 I love bumping up the bass w/ my px100s
basshead.gif
)

I just think a lot of trance music sounds better with bass hehe. Without the bass it just doesn't have the same impact that I really like about it. Well, I guess my mind is made up. I have sent an email to earphonesolutions.. they seem like a great company and they sponsor head-fi so I guess it's good
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #5 of 20
I bought my E4s from Earphone Solutions. They are good company to do business with. I would definitely use them again.

Jan 24, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #9 of 20
I am a frequent flyer and have the UEs. I love them, they are great for sound isolation and I can sleep with them in without any problems. Not to mention the fact that they sound great.
biggrin.gif
They have really good bass also.
eggosmile.gif

Jan 24, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #10 of 20
What's your budget and time frame? The new Shure E500's reportedly have outstanding bass performance, with very little impact on the mids and high frequencies. They will retail (starting in May) at $500, but street prices will be somewhat lower.

At a lower price point, and given that you like bass, the Super.fi 5 Pro's will likely work out well for you. Be sure to try ALL the tips included to find the right balance of comfort and seal.

Jan 24, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by rick1970
I bought my E4s from Earphone Solutions. They are good company to do business with. I would definitely use them again.

+1. I ordered from them and was very happy with them as a company. They were very willing to negotiate a fair price($190 US shipped to Canada) and respond to e-mails quickly.

Jan 24, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #12 of 20
Upgraded from sony EX81 to SF5s and the sound, isolation and bass is much better across the board.

The only negative I have is the rolled off highs, but apparently because of physics, all IEMs seem to roll off at either 16-18khz. Detail is great. Build quality is great. Comfort is improved over the EX81 and I love the uniform cord length.

I dealt with headphone.com - email or call and ask for their best price. They shipped from Montana on a Tuesday w/ free FEDEX express saver...Wednesday afternoon they were in Los Angeles.
eek.gif

Jan 24, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #13 of 20
I just wonder though about the impression of rolled off highs in the super-fi. I don't think rolling off beyong 16khz really affects what you hear very much. If you can play with an EQ, try dropping the 16 and 14kHZ ranges alot, it's noticeable but really doesn't make a huge differece. At least to me it doesn't make a big difference.

I think the impression of rolled off highs points more to a recessed upper-midrange response.

Just a thought
etysmile.gif

Jan 25, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRefft
rick,

what is it about the shure's that you like more than the ue's? have you had a chance to see how each model changes when amped?

I have not yet heard either using an amp. I am in the market for one, but still haven't decided on a particular model.

I have been using the E4s more lately since I've been listening to Steely Dan, Chicago (older stuff), Chuck Mangione and simlar. Horns and saxophones just seem to sound more natural from the E4. The E4 seems to have a better balance throughout. I really enjoy the superfi 5 pro as well, but the E4 sound signature just better matches my current listening tastes.

Jan 25, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #15 of 20
well I was just at the gym tonight.. and I realised I might want IEMs instead of px100s.. but i don't want to spend a fortune. I get all sweaty etc and I'm sure they'll get ruined. Any ideas what I should pick up with my super.f5p if i get them?

preferablly cheap..but sound at least as good as the ex51s. also need a long regular lenght cord. again i like bass for working out
basshead.gif
(1.4m I believe?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back