I think I have to say goodbye!
Sep 23, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #16 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sixerfan,

A Blue Hawaii just got listed last night, you might want to have a serious look at that.
wink.gif
evil_smiley.gif

The price is $4500 correct? Is a down payment required or paid in full? I don't even know why I ask these questions....they only lead to trouble.
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #17 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am getting rid of everything dynamic in order to grab a good electrostatic amp and the O2's.

If HE60 fits your tastes, why go with O2? Either HE90 or little something they are now calling "Jade" will be more to your tastes with a proper amp.

Sep 23, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #18 of 56
Quote:

I think is spot on. The first minute I listened to them, I knew they were perfect for my listening preferences. Still, I have tried to listen more and more to my dynamics because I know that we can sometimes be in awe of something new and forget what we loved about our "old" toys. Going back and forth, I realized that the Baby Orpheus has all of the strengths of the W5000(detail), HD600(neutrality), and K501(clarity).

The only thing that is bugging the hell out of me is how what used to sound like decent recordings, are now showing how bad they actually are. It has made some of my favorite tracks unlistenable.
frown.gif

HE60 is a very good headphone but in my taste it is not at its best on all recordings. It is emphasizing treble and is fast and detailed, which makes some recordings unlistenable. Maybe the detail is sometimes even tending towards sharpness. Bad recordings do of course make it even worse, but what is a bad recording and what is bad reproduction? In my experience, some bad sounding recordings with HE60 sound excellent with O2. Sometimes I even prefer 404 to HE60 because it is less detailed, has more bass and is more forgiving on "bad recordings".

Sep 23, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #19 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sixerfan,

A Blue Hawaii just got listed last night, you might want to have a serious look at that.
wink.gif
evil_smiley.gif

$4500 is the same price as a BHSE. might as well just get that instead.

Sep 23, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #20 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HE60 is a very good headphone but in my taste it is not at its best on all recordings. It is emphasizing treble and is fast and detailed, which makes some recordings unlistenable. Maybe the detail is sometimes even tending towards sharpness. Bad recordings do of course make it even worse, but what is a bad recording and what is bad reproduction? In my experience, some bad sounding recordings with HE60 sound excellent with O2. Sometimes I even prefer 404 to HE60 because it is less detailed, has more bass and is more forgiving on "bad recordings".

Well if it was bad reproduction by the headphones, it would be more prevalent imo. It wouldn't just happen on one or two songs, it would be nearly my entire collection. It seems to be just the headphone revealing the badly recorded tracks.

The reason I believe this is so, is because these same recordings exhibit the same problems in highly detailed headphones. For example, "Goodbye My Lover" by James blunt has a static issue in the recording that I hear easily with the W5000 and Sony CD3000. With the HE60, the track is simply unlistenable because the poor traits are magnified.

But who knows...

Sep 23, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #21 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but we also can't forget that a lot of listening and preferences go in cycles.

Very good point. I've been tired of every headphone I have ever owned and considered selling each one thinking it was terrible sounding at some point.

So, don't be so quick to dump your other set ups...but congratulations!

Sep 24, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #22 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very good point. I've been tired of every headphone I have ever owned and considered selling each one thinking it was terrible sounding at some point.

So, don't be so quick to dump your other set ups...but congratulations!

I don't want to be, but I have ab'd the heck out of all the cans and I am pretty sure that I am readily content with the HE60. If the high end dynamics realm was truly competitive then I would keep the ZD, but in order to get a discontinued phone like the HP1000 or LS3000, I'd have to get rid of the baby orpheus and this just isn't happening.
icon10.gif

Plus, this is also funding my Mackie HR824MKII Monitors so I will be narrowing down my headphone listening time.

But your right, I know that I will miss the gear at some point.

Sep 24, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #23 of 56
Side note - Anyone know where I can purchase a headband and pads for the HE60?

Thanks!

Sep 24, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #25 of 56
Quote:

The ZD is amazing, especially with the HD600's, W5000's, and K501. But none of them even come close to the performance of the HE60, so I think I am getting rid of everything dynamic in order to grab a good electrostatic amp and the O2's. I think this wouldn't be the case if more high end dynamics were still in production. Either way, I have enjoyed the dynamic experience and am on my way into the world of Stats.

O2 has better bass than HE60. But overall, HE60 is much preferred for my taste -- mainly the neutrality/naturalness, tonal balance. It's faster, more energetic, and yet keeping everything balanced is a marvel by itself.

Good choice OP!

Sep 24, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #26 of 56
Different cans, amps, and combinations for different tunes, moods, and times. -Tim

Sep 24, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #27 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$4500 is the same price as a BHSE. might as well just get that instead.

Apart from the fact that the HeadAmp KGBH SE is not available for purchase..

Sep 24, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #28 of 56
Congratulation to the stax world. I hope someday you will consider the HE90(my dream).

The HEV70 is a very good amplifier for HE60 but you can improve the phone's sound by reterminating the plug into stax plug and use amplifier for stax.

If the for sale of Blue Hawaii had popped up 3 months ago, I would have bought it.
Right now I am a dynamic guy ^_^

Sep 24, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #29 of 56
Strange, one of my friend owns Stax+GES (and now Coriolan2 from Rudistor) but he still be listening to L3000+RP010MKII as main system (while I prefer k1000 over L3000 in another system test from same equipments up to apache pre using F1 for k1000)

It tastes vary and Zana Deux isn't what can surprise me.

Sep 24, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #30 of 56
I'm dreading this weekends upcoming Danish head-fi meet where for the first time I'll get a chance to listen to an Omega (although MK2 and "just" from the Stax 717 driver unit).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back