I think I have Tinnitus ..
Feb 11, 2007 at 8:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Joshatdot

Headphoneus Supremus
Whenever its quiet, say at night when I goto bed, I can hear this slight muddled ringing in my left ear. Its not ringing all the time, only when its quiet.

To me the sound is like, when you're in the house, and someone outside turns on a hose faucet, the water running to it/through it kinda makes a high pitch sound. Thats the only thing that comes to mind of how it sounds.

I have read that "flushing" your ears can unlodge huge clumps of earwax. I am going to check how much this would cost tomarrow at the Dr's.

Feb 11, 2007 at 8:24 AM Post #2 of 21
Yes that's true. I found out on my own, distinct "kinds" of tinnitus. After a long session of orchestra, I have a very subliminal, wavey ring in my left ear (the closest to my instrument). But after a 100 dB session, I had a brief moment of very standing-out ring, much unlike the previous wavey ring I hear normally.

Feb 11, 2007 at 8:55 AM Post #3 of 21
Yeah, i've had it for a while.. it stops being exciting when you find out that oh so many people have it
Download aire freshener if you leave your pc on at night and it'll help a bit (credits to the dude that posted it on head-fi)

Feb 11, 2007 at 11:09 AM Post #4 of 21
it was exciting for you? i find it mildly annoying to keep hearing this sound

Feb 11, 2007 at 11:51 AM Post #5 of 21
I have it, too, in both ears. It's very faint and only noticeable at night when I'm trying sleep (basically, when it's perfectly silent). It doesn't prevent me from sleeping (I have trouble sleeping, but for other reasons), but I now feel inferior for having it. I've actually had it for awhile but I've admitted to myself on what it is.

For awhile I thought maybe my ears had a lot of wax or something, but I talked to the doctor about it and she said I had no wax in my ears at all. My cleaning routine is to flush the ears with water while I take a shower. I then dry the inside with a q-tip. I don't go very deep... only as far as say, in IEM would go, ie, I don't go to the point where I can "hear" the q-tip on the inside of my ear canal.

My only hope now is to not have it any worse than what it is. I think I'm taking better care of my ears than before. I've basically stopped listening to my iPod (because I usually listened to it while walking on campus, where it can be a bit loud). I only listen to music at my computer, while on my laptop (usually in a library), or on my speakers at home, and always at a reasonable volume. I actually measured out what's reasonable on my speaker set-up with an SPL meter (which I needed to calibrate the speakers anyway).

I don't know why I decided to share all of this. I think it's because I woke up in the middle of the night and had trouble falling back asleep.

Feb 11, 2007 at 2:17 PM Post #6 of 21
Yeah I try and keep my ears clean and wax free. I do want to try the ear irrigation/flushing .. there has to be sometyhing up in there after 34 years thats not cleaned out by showers & baths.

I'll see if I can get an ear Dr. to flush out and take pics of my ears, before and after =)

Feb 11, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #7 of 21
I have it too but I don't think it was caused by headphones per se. It may have been a factor but I've been to a lot of loud rock concerts and I've played in loud bands with my guitar and after a while, my ears are not the same.

These days, I use my headphones mostly on the weekends- if I have time and I won't spend entire afternoons or evenings on the headphones like how I used too. I also plan on getting good ear plugs for loud concerts.

I get a ringing at night and in the mornings but the ringing also stops too many times so there will be long moments in the evening in my bed and on quiet mornings with no ringing at all which is good. Overall, it's not bad and seemed to improve since I first had it. Hopefully, my ears will be in good shape for a long time.

Protect your ears.

Feb 11, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...take pics of my ears, before and after =)

OK, but please don't post the pics. Earwax threads usually go downhill, fast.

I'm no doctor, but the same thing that's happening to you happened to my father a couple months ago. He thought he might have damaged his hearing or something else was wrong, but the doctor took one look and got out the syringe. Yup, earwax. Dad said that he couldn't believe what was in there. And now his hearing is fine. I hope that's all you need.

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #10 of 21
Guys also remember that faint ringing in your ears can also be caused if your jaw is funky and putting to much pressure under your ears. You can test by clenching your teeth and if the ringing gets louder, then that is most likely your problem and you should see a dentist or orthodontist, however if you clench your teeth and instead of your current ringing getting louder, you hear a new totally different ring, then it is probably tinnitus

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by pheonix991 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got it in both ears. I need to see a doc about it, it is insanely loud...

I have it in both ears as well. Rings constantly day and night. Mine was made worse a few months ago using IEMs. I'm much more conscious of volume levels now in order to not make it even worse. Doctor said it usually doesn't go away but the mind may be able to tune it out somewhat over time so that it is less intrusive.

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys also remember that faint ringing in your ears can also be caused if your jaw is funky and putting to much pressure under your ears. You can test by clenching your teeth and if the ringing gets louder, then that is most likely your problem and you should see a dentist or orthodontist, however if you clench your teeth and instead of your current ringing getting louder, you hear a new totally different ring, then it is probably tinnitus

Different, as in higher pitched?

Feb 12, 2007 at 10:50 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishcarver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have it in both ears as well. Rings constantly day and night. Mine was made worse a few months ago using IEMs. I'm much more conscious of volume levels now in order to not make it even worse. Doctor said it usually doesn't go away but the mind may be able to tune it out somewhat over time so that it is less intrusive.

both of you should get your ears irrigated/flushed! I didn't have time to make an appointment today, but I will make one Monday.

I also think it might be localized .. I was in Seattle today listening to various pro Senn's and pro Grado cans, and I didnt hear any tinnitus. The store was very quiet, and no BG noise at all.

Now I am back home and I hear the ringing.

Feb 12, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
both of you should get your ears irrigated/flushed! I didn't have time to make an appointment today, but I will make one Monday.

I also think it might be localized .. I was in Seattle today listening to various pro Senn's and pro Grado cans, and I didnt hear any tinnitus. The store was very quiet, and no BG noise at all.

Now I am back home and I hear the ringing.

Could be a tv on at your house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back