i think i hate mids.
May 9, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #17 of 36
Yea I've read around 4kHz is the frequency which is easiest for us humans to perceive, why naturally many headphones have slight boost in the bass and slight boost in the highs to make up for it.

May 9, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #18 of 36

Quote:
Yea I've read around 4kHz is the frequency which is easiest for us humans to perceive, why naturally many headphones have slight boost in the bass and slight boost in the highs to make up for it.

i read somewhere that 3-4khz is the equivalent of crying, its a natural instinct in humans to respond to it i guess. (think little children and parents)

May 9, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #19 of 36

Quote:
If you don't like mids, you don't like music. Simple as that. Music lives in the mids, not bass, not highs.

If you boost mids and you hear a scratchy sound, that means you are either using the EQ wrong, using a terrible EQ, using inadequate headphones, and/or you don't know where the midrange frequencies are.

Dynamic headphones have trouble reproducing a full and balanced midrange without getting congested. Most likely you are hearing congestion.

+1000

Its like saying you dont like food.

May 9, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #20 of 36
Yea I'd have to agree on that, mids add the "weight" to the music and arguably is the most important part while highs and lows are more like "fillers" IMO. If you don't like mids you don't like talking either, only hearing mids. ^^ Now I still like my bass but I hate V-shaped frequency response which is very common.

I personally often EQ the headphones so that mids may just stand out a bit more (which I also do to the lows though).

May 9, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #21 of 36
Jesus raptor, get the 705 DJ's or HFI-580 and stop with these needless threads. Or just get better source material that sounds like your problem.

May 9, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #22 of 36

Quote:
+1000

Its like saying you dont like food.

or saying you like to breath, but hate oxygen*with good reason, as it is why we age and or cell death/cancer how ever these are just theories....DAMN YOU OXYGEN!!!!!!!*

May 9, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #23 of 36
You don't like mids... but you have Shure's. Man, you have the wrong headphones. Shure's are known for their mids, and that's one of the many qualities I adore about them but hated on the M50's (the lack thereof). Ever tried the M50's? Honestly, getting Shure's when you hate mids is like buying AKG's whilst hating soundstage. 

May 9, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #24 of 36
My suggestion is to visit a high end audio store and listen to the tracks that are giving you problems through a pair of really good speakers. If the problems persist, chances are, buying better headphone equipment won't help you. Of course, the best thing to do is go to a headphone meet and try out stuff. Maybe you just don't like the forward presentation of most headphones where the drivers are sitting next to your head and the treble doesn't dissipate with distance.

May 9, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #25 of 36
Quote:
i was a little off, i assumed that 500hz was still higher bass, and that after 4khz its highs. correct me if im wrong but isn't the most important part of human hearing from 500hz to 4khz, as highs are a lot harder to hear, and mids are generally vocals/talking. just something i thought, wouldn't mid range be the most sensitive part of your hearing.

500 Hz is bass?  Standard orchestral/band (soprano) flutes go down to about 260 Hz (middle C).  edit: that came out the wrong way reading it.  I'mma add a smiley as was intended: 
wink_face.gif

This is a start:
http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

May 11, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #26 of 36
Arent the D2K notorious for the blatant absence of anything resembling a midrange ? The Ultrasones I had seemed very recessed in that area too - surely we can find this fellow his perfect headphone ?

(I know - I've probably awoken the Denon mafia, but its just a suggestion fellas - er, fellas, there really isnt any need for the baseball bats, is there ?)

May 11, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #27 of 36
Time to go into a high end audio store and demo some of their stuff with your usual music!  No more trivial threads like this one and the rest you have posted...

Also should not have bought Shures...

May 11, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #28 of 36

Quote:
Time to go into a high end audio store and demo some of their stuff with your usual music!  No more trivial threads like this one and the rest you have posted...

Also should not have bought Shures...

I would love to if there was one in Kelowna. But we have no good stores for audio other then best buy.

May 11, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #29 of 36
Shures?
Screw them.  =p

Grab a Sony 7509HD, then you will love mids.

May 11, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #30 of 36
I guess I hate music because out of all the headphones I have owned, those with mid recession are my faves.

Unlike the mid mafia, I like all aspects of music, and lean on bass and treble as long as mids aren't absent. Mid recession is blown out of proportion here.

Because we all know dubstep and electronic genres rely on mids...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back