I think Foobar is going obsolete
Jan 19, 2007 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

regal

Headphoneus Supremus
It seems whenever I want a plugin it doesn't work with foobar. No G-force, no reverb, etc.

I am switching to winamp, I honestly think Foobar will be complately unsupported by next year. I have been able to get bit-perfect ASIO with Winamp so I am done with Foobar. Now if I could only figure out how to have Winamp my default player when I click on a music file.

Jan 19, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems whenever I want a plugin it doesn't work with foobar. No G-force, no reverb, etc.

I am switching to winamp, I honestly think Foobar will be complately unsupported by next year. I have been able to get bit-perfect ASIO with Winamp so I am done with Foobar. Now if I could only figure out how to have Winamp my default player when I click on a music file.

First off, Foobar isn't going anywhere. It's continually being developed and more and more people are using it.

Second, to answer your question about getting Winamp to be the default player. Goto the Winamp Preferences > File Types > Select All/Audio Only/Video Only (whatever you prefer) and check the "Restore file associations.." box. Close and restart Winamp.

Jan 20, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
although for some reason foobar asio sounds terrible????

Hmm, have you tried using an equalizer? Make sure it is enabled on the DSP manager too.

Foobar is more of an advanced program that sounds better only after setting it up properly.

Jan 20, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #6 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nova /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, have you tried using an equalizer? Make sure it is enabled on the DSP manager too.

Foobar is more of an advanced program that sounds better only after setting it up properly.

Lol nova - I'm not entirely dumb. Foobar was set up perfectly. It was my x-fi to blame - it was in entertainment mode, not music creation. Only music creation seems to support asio properly.

I was weirdly stunned with the results:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...=1#post2644443

Jan 20, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #7 of 56
Foo bar, shmoo bar. I also USED TO use J.River Media Center when I was on Windows. Now that I'm using Ubuntu though, Amarok has become my player of choice. And to be honest, I don't take PC music listening very seriously. I used to have very good speakers: 2 Pairs of Monsoon Level 9 PM 9's and I've always had a fairly modest sound card, which I'm still very happy with to this day: A Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

AISO has never been an issue for me since I believe that if you're going to spend X amount of dollars on a PC based audio system, you're better off getting a dedicated home rig instead, since you won't have any hiccups involved at any point. I think some people go a bit too far with the whole PC/Media system thing, but that's just MO.

I also always found Foobar to be uber unfriendly, even if you are a geek. I mean, fine tuning something which is complex is great but, fine tuning something which should be pretty simple, yet comes OFF as trying to be complex, (read:it's a farkin' pc audio player/tagger/thingamabobber, not the space shuttle for christ's sake !) is just plain silly, and rather self important.

Get over yourself foobar. Really.

Jan 20, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #9 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Spot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Foo bar, shmoo bar. I also USED TO use J.River Media Center when I was on Windows. Now that I'm using Ubuntu though, Amarok has become my player of choice. And to be honest, I don't take PC music listening very seriously. I used to have very good speakers: 2 Pairs of Monsoon Level 9 PM 9's and I've always had a fairly modest sound card, which I'm still very happy with to this day: A Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

AISO has never been an issue for me since I believe that if you're going to spend X amount of dollars on a PC based audio system, you're better off getting a dedicated home rig instead, since you won't have any hiccups involved at any point. I think some people go a bit too far with the whole PC/Media system thing, but that's just MO.

I also always found Foobar to be uber unfriendly, even if you are a geek. I mean, fine tuning something which is complex is great but, fine tuning something which should be pretty simple, yet comes OFF as trying to be complex, (read:it's a farkin' pc audio player/tagger/thingamabobber, not the space shuttle for christ's sake !) is just plain silly, and rather self important.

Get over yourself foobar. Really.

IMO, if you have enough time to post 1,000 times on head-fi then you have enough time to configure foobar.
tongue.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #10 of 56
My media player of choice (on windows) is Mediamonkey. MM has low system requirements, and handles large media libraries very efficiently. It works with winamp plugins too, which means it can do ASIO, kernel streaming, software resampling etc. etc. I tried Foobar for a while, but came back to MM. It's just far slicker.

Cheers,
Q

Jan 20, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #11 of 56
I find Foobar more intuitive and easier to setup than Winamp. But there just isn't any support for it. Almost every plugin says "not supported for this version" (latest.) G-force even said they have no plans to support the latest Foobar which is a red herring as G-force has a big following. And when you can't even find a plugin to add a little reverb there is a problem. Even EQ plugins are few, your only option is the convolver which is a pain.

Jan 20, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #12 of 56
I look at it this way. SQ out of the box, foobar is a bit better. It may not be as easy to play with, but configured, it's also better out the box,a PITA, but better.

It's very much like Linux...it's as good as you make it out to be...

Jan 20, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #13 of 56
configure foobar? there's not much to it
blink.gif

for bitperfect:
turn off all replaygain
volume to MAX
all DSP off
use KS or ASIO to select your device (need to download the respective plugins available linked at foobar's website)

and that's about it... takes probably 30 seconds + time to download plugin(s)

foobar remains my AUDIO player of choice....... winamp is too bloated... and all other AUDIO players use some sort of database to keep track of music (doesn't work too well with untagged music and LARGE amounts of music)

Jan 20, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #14 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowVlican /img/forum/go_quote.gif
configure foobar? there's not much to it
blink.gif

for bitperfect:
turn off all replaygain
volume to MAX
all DSP off
use KS or ASIO to select your device (need to download the respective plugins available linked at foobar's website)

and that's about it... takes probably 30 seconds + time to download plugin(s)

foobar remains my AUDIO player of choice....... winamp is too bloated... and all other AUDIO players use some sort of database to keep track of music (doesn't work too well with untagged music and LARGE amounts of music)

I don't understand why people say that. 15k is a lot? iTunes ran at like 35k on my PC. 15k is not much of a sacrifice for me.

Jan 20, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #15 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand why people say that. 15k is a lot? iTunes ran at like 35k on my PC. 15k is not much of a sacrifice for me.

ok i'll correct myself: compared to foobar it's bloated

foobar loads almost instantly while winamp isn't anywhere close to instant (i have both installed.. foobar for listening.... winamp for ipod shuffle syncing)

as for itunes... i'll only run that if i know my shuffle has a firmware update waiting for it.... this is the slowest one of the three by far....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back