I suffer from a touch of "germaphobia"
Jul 5, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #18 of 31
Well... you can keep yourself clean, which is good thing to do, but can not stay away from germs. They are everywhere, even in your own body. You're just cleaning the surface, not a whole body, you know. And it does not necessarily means you are better protected.

Our environment is cleaner than a few decade ago, kids are getting bigger and taller. But have'nt you heard old people saying "kids in these days do not look healthy to compare with us when we're before"? What's the difference?

What I think is... old people were playing with sands and woods when they're kids, kids in these days are playing with nintendo in their clean room. Their immune system is getting weaker because they have less chance to get exposed with those germs, too much protected. Sound bit weird, I know. But the chances are too much cleaning may not be a good thing as what we thought it is. Anything excessive is not quite good.

I would say, keep yourself clean and sanitary. Wash your hands frequently and watch what you eat. Shower frequently so make sure you're not smelly, then you will be alright without those sanitizers.

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #19 of 31
Heya,

I'm kinda the oppisite when it comes to germs but I do have my own anxieties and I used to be scared of going into lifts. :) I'm over it now but I do understand that obsessive feeling. It's like you know you're being over the top and irational but you can't help it.

Maybe you should challenge your fears? Sounds easy to say I know but rationally speaking you're here today because your ancestors weren't germephobes? :) Most bugs in your everyday life aren't going to kill you or make you sick if you have a normal immune system. Don't be scared of them.

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be careful with overzealous use of antibacterial agents. Bacteria just become stronger and even more dangerous as a result.

Very true, but it's tough to not use antibacterial cleaners, it seems virtually all soaps nowadays come with them!

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is not a crippling affliction. I still eat from street vendors when I leave the country, and it does not prevent me from eating at restaurants.

Does anyone else do these kinds of things?

I suppose you have never worked in a restaurant.
wink.gif

Jul 5, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose you have never worked in a restaurant.
wink.gif

Hilariously enough I worked at Mc Donald's as a teen. Though I was the cleanest cook that particular restaurant has ever seen.

I was meticulous with the "bar towel" and always volunteered to do the dishes.

Jul 5, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #24 of 31
It is not a good idea to excessively avoid contacts/touch with germs. You are depriving your body of the stimulus it requires to produce more antibody to ward off those germs. In the long run you may actually become vulnerable or weak against even simple germ infections as your body is not used to dealing with them.

Regards.

Apr 20, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #27 of 31
In some ways, I find the culture of hand shaking a little weird.

if I shake a gentleman’s hand, how do I know he was not touching his genitalia in the past 24 hours?

Apr 22, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #29 of 31
Guess I'm going to be that guy... apologies.

My sister was a germaphobe for as long as I can remember, and growing up with her, well, you know how us older brothers are, I would go through sears and rub my hands down all the stove and refrigerator handles that they had on display, I once liked the elevator call button, and I even ate popcorn (like 3 big handfuls) off the ground at disney world just to get a rise out of her.

Guess I'm amazed I'm still alive...

Anyways, there is some truth to the over use of anti bacterial/sanitizers. Particularly on your epidermis, as you have natural cultures of bacteria's that exist on your skin that are your first layer of defense. It's actually why they recommend a soft sponge for bathing, and not a harsh or abrasive scrubber, and mild soaps.

A good example of bacteria's becoming resistant is akin to good pool maintenance, when maintaining a pool if you hold chlorine (or any oxidizer) at a constant level long enough you will eventually get resistant algae growth. To clear this out requires 'shocking' the pool, which basically is taking whatever your chlorine level is at (usually 2 ppm) and doubling it. This knocks down the resistant algae, and then you bring the pool back down to normal levels.

Applying that to your hygienic cycle is easy enough, pick one day a week (or every other week would be better) and that is your deep clean day, feel free to wipe everything out, abrasives and strong soap. Then for the remainder of your bathing days, use mild soap and light touches to just remove sweat and foreign debris. This keeps your natural defenses up and will shock resistant bacteria's that should not be present on your ultra clean day, and allows your body to build up its normal stores of healthy bacteria's that need to be present. By the way, excessive cleaning not only kills the healthy bacteria's on your skin, but eventually starts to lower the bacteria's present in your intestines that are needed for bodily functions, which can really mess up your bathroom time.

My two cents, although this is only accurate until the next study, seems like every lab study they do they end up contradicting the last 3, and it is cyclic, so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back