'I' Stands For Indestructable
Nov 4, 2004 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Atomicarnage

Head-Fier
There's a reason why they call it an I-pod and it ain't cause it sounds cute believe you me. After using my 3rd generation 20gb I -pod for almost a year now I have, as of today, deemed it Indestructable.
After owning it for a month I decided I needed to get a case for it. These things may look purty, but only if you're very carefull not to scratch the hell out of it with anything rougher than your hand. After the pod slid out of my lap during a hard breaking episode on a road trip and the screen was scratched from the fall I decided it was time to get a case. Enter the exo skin2. Since having used the exo skin I have 'accidentally' dropped my I-pod several times from waist and table height while it was playing to no avail. I was soaked by an oncoming van in the rain and it was fine. I have even dropped it on concrete! Yes it is a tough little bugger, but today it earned a new distinction for it's meritorious indestructibility in the face of my shoe. Let me explain.

After stepping outside today I realized it was raining significantly so I began to run towards my car in the heavy rain. My I-pod bounced up and down on my waist as I ran, and due to the exo-skin's innefectual metal clip design bounced off of my waist and headed straight down. As the I-pod plummeted toward terra firma, my foot (I was running remmember?) swung forward and struck the I-pod. While this all occured blindingly fast I was able to watch as my I-pod bounced, spun, and skittered 25 feet across the asphalt until it struck the bottom of a parked car and lay flat. Can you see where this is going? Aside from a slight new scratch on the screen my Indestructo-pod remains fully functional. They may be pricey, but they are worth every buck.

On a scale of Indomitability I give it a "drop kickable" rating.

Nov 4, 2004 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 10
Remind me not to buy your slightly used ipod if it pops up on the sale forums.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 4, 2004 at 10:35 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Remind me not to buy your slightly used ipod if it pops up on the sale forums.
evil_smiley.gif

LOL! I was thinking the exact same thing!!
biggrin.gif
Perhaps we could have a competition where we all come up with things you could do to your ipod to prove it's indestructablity......
icon10.gif

Nov 4, 2004 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 10
This isn't ipod specific. My DAP (in it's stock case) is in perfect condition even though it's been through worse.

Nov 4, 2004 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
This isn't ipod specific. My DAP (in it's stock case) is in perfect condition even though it's been through worse.

I'd like to hear your story topping Atomic Carnage's serial abuse!
eek.gif

Nov 5, 2004 at 12:39 AM Post #8 of 10
I heard a report through an acquaintance that some lab is using ipods as data logging discs for car crash testing. Anybody have evidence of this? Could be urban legend.

AC, did your ipod get run over in the process of your torture test?

gerG

Nov 5, 2004 at 12:43 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
I'd like to hear your story topping Atomic Carnage's serial abuse!
eek.gif

I don't think so, resale value may go down.
biggrin.gif
But it's still in perfect condition, more or less. I don't baby my player, but I try not to let stuff happen to it.

Nov 5, 2004 at 5:22 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
I heard a report through an acquaintance that some lab is using ipods as data logging discs for car crash testing. Anybody have evidence of this? Could be urban legend.

AC, did your ipod get run over in the process of your torture test?

gerG

That would be very, very odd. Interfacing to the ipod alone would be a fairly difficult task. Speaking as someone that does embedded work in similar environments - I think it would be very, very silly to use an ipod. A crash would only take a couple seconds, and in that amount of time nowhere near the capacity of even the smallest ipod could be filled. A solid state compact flash drive would make 10 times more sense.

edit: forgot to mention that in my work we tried using hard drives for a bit - but they just got eaten alive by the harsh conditions. Now we use all solid state storage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back