I smoked my 8620!!
Jan 15, 2004 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Magic77

500+ Head-Fier
While swapping Op-Amps in my Pimeta; I accidently put my AD8620/8610 in opposite. I put the 8610 in the L&R socket and the 8620 in the Ground channel socket(did not relaize I did this).

I turned on the amp, heard a pop, then there was a horrid smell. I opened up the enclosure, and the 8620 was burnt to a crisp. Nothing else was visibly damaged; so I popped in an OPA2604/604(in the correct sockets this time) and everything seems to be working normal again.

My only concern is; Could I have damaged any other parts?

Since it's working OK so far, I'm assuming I did not damage anything else, but I'll ask anyway from people with more troubleshooting experience. Thanks.

Jan 15, 2004 at 5:30 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by Sewer Guy
If the amp is working correctly & there are no other indications of burnt parts, it would be safe to assume the amp is not damaged.

Thanks. I left the enclosure open overnight because of the smell. The smell is still there, but not nearly as bad when it first burned up. I guess it may take a while to clear.

Could anyone explain what happened by putting these op-amps in the opposite sockets? I'm assuming there was a short circuit created? Thanks.

Jan 15, 2004 at 7:22 PM Post #4 of 4
On most dual chips, the V+ and V- pins are rotationally symmetrical. Placing the chip in backwards hooks up the power backwards. I've let the smoke out of a chip by wiring it wrong; it sounds like the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back