I should'nt have ordered the 770 PRO version... :(
Jun 30, 2015 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Rayz

100+ Head-Fier
I ordered the 770 PRO (80) version 2 days ago, for mobile use mostly. I needed isolution outside (I HATE sound leak\bleed).
Just today I just found the 770M version, which I understand is cost the same, has the same good sound, but really isolated.
I tried to change the order for M but the 770PRO are already on their way.

Now, just to make clear why I ordered the 770PRO.
I have the 990PRO which I really love, and I wanted the closed version of those. I gone far and even bought a protable amp\dac.
I want to use the 770 everyday on the bus (I'm the roads alot) without people being able to hear what I'm listening to. meaning, I need a minimal sound leakage.
People always said the 770PRO are very isolated, but never mentioned the M version which is weird -they gotta have the same sound, they have the same price but they are has like +12db isolution more. which means the 770Pro aren't exactly well-isolated.

Right now I'm really dissapointed. of course I didn't hear the 770Pro yet, but I guess I won't be able to listening to music on bus without sound leakage.

Well, this is my problem after all...
but you guys have some advice for me? maybe modding the Pro version into M version? (replacing the earpads for the letter ones of M?)

:frowning2:

Jun 30, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #2 of 26
Your should be happy you didn't order the M model. DT770M is not up to the rest of the 770 line when it comes to sound reproduction. It's made for drummers (monitoring) and not made for "hifi" at all, no sub bass and zero soundstage.
For better isolation, you could replace DT770Pro80 velour ear pads with the pleather ear pads from DT770Pro32.

Jun 30, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 26
I see... but I really need a minimal sound leakage.

770PRO-32OHM has the same earpads as 770M, am I correct? (why is that?)
is that mean they can have the same isolation as 770M?

Edit:
are those the pads?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Ear-Pads-FHRG-Cushions-For-Beyerdynamic-DT660-DT770-DT880-DT990-/131534757354?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1ea0151dea

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 26
  I see... but I really need a minimal sound leakage.

770PRO-32OHM has the same earpads as 770M, am I correct? (why is that?)
is that mean they can have the same isolation as 770M?

Edit:
are those the pads?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Ear-Pads-FHRG-Cushions-For-Beyerdynamic-DT660-DT770-DT880-DT990-/131534757354?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1ea0151dea

All those models technically use the same size earpads, but each of them uses a different material and some have different thickness. Some of them use velour and some use leather for example. The ones in the link are replacements not made by Beyerdynamic or whoever they subcontract that part to.

Jul 1, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #5 of 26
Do you think ordering original 770-32 earpads would make the PRO isolated just like the M version?

Also, do you think 770Pro with their stock earpads are isolated enough from noticable sound leakeage? 

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #6 of 26
  Do you think ordering original 770-32 earpads would make the PRO isolated just like the M version?

Also, do you think 770Pro with their stock earpads are isolated enough from noticable sound leakeage? 

Not sure about the specific effects but as best I remember there were a number of people swapping pads from other Beyers, and generally,

1. DT770 to different version DT770 - slight changes
2. DT880/990 to DT770 - negative changes (less midrange, highs and lows also affected - overall less natural sound)
3. 3rd Party earpads - highly variable; some leather earpads are comparable enough to stock leather, some velour earpads are too thin and have detrimental effects

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #7 of 26
So I guess I can't have much isolation with my DT770 PRO no matter what? 

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #8 of 26
  So I guess I can't have much isolation with my DT770 PRO no matter what? 

I didn't mention anything specific regarding that, I just wrote down what I remembered reading when I was looking through earpads, as well as some info regarding third party earpads like in the link you posted. 

The thing is your concern is based on the 12dB variance in their isolation ratings, so basically you can go ahead and order the earpads from the model with higher isolation, but be aware that it can have effects on the sound characteristics/tonal balance that you might not like. Still, refer to my older post - the least effects on the soundstage are actually when you use an earpad from a different DT770 model; DT880/990 can have surprisingly detrimental effects; and 3rd party earpads sound different and may have different effects on any of the three Beyer lines.

So basically, it's hard to be sure whether to recommend you to send them back outright to get the DT-770M, or to try them first and then maybe try other earpads - I'm just enumerating certain things that you should take into account. Since the DT770Pro is on its way, consider this strategy: if you're still on the fence about it by the time it arrives, then send it back rather than have to pay repacking fees on top of shipping. There's really no other way around it anyway.

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #9 of 26
I see. thanks.
One question only- the earpads alone are what makes the differences between the M and PRO versions?

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #10 of 26
  I see. thanks.
One question only- the earpads alone are what makes the differences between the M and PRO versions?

I can't be sure about that - the reviews on the earpads that I got to read were people who owned only one version of the DT770, so none of them could say with certainty if for example those two versions swapped earpads.

Jul 1, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #11 of 26
Maybe it's just a placebo.

Jul 1, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #12 of 26
You made the decision to get the DT 770 before you even knew about the DT 770M, so in your mind there was a good chance that is what going to suit your needs or else you wouldn't have placed the order. 

Just wait for the headphones you ordered and give them a go. The DT 770 is known for having some good isolation properties, and I really doubt that others on a bus will be able to hear whatever it is you're listening to if you are listening at reasonable volumes. 

Jul 1, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #13 of 26
Well, I like listening on loud volumes... this is the whole point (for instanse- DT990 250ohm out of STX extreme gain, 30 volume level out of 100)

Jul 1, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #14 of 26
  Well, I like listening on loud volumes... this is the whole point (for instanse- DT990 250ohm out of STX extreme gain, 30 volume level out of 100)

The point is also that you don't know if the DT 770 will suit your needs or not cause from what I can tell you haven't recieved them yet? My point is maybe try not to fret too much till you actually get a chance to see for yourself if they will work out for you. If they don't, well then take it from there. There is a good chance they will suit your needs.  

You are coming from an open headphone that you really like, and I'm guessing a lot of that has to do with the sound. What others have mentioned with the M version is that you will most likely be sacrificing quite a bit in sound quality in order to get more isolation with the M's. Is extreme loudness and extreme isolation really worth the hit in sound quality to you?

It's easy to obsess about little details when you are waiting for your purchase to come in through the mail. Wondering if you made the best decision for your buck when you are basically buying blind. My best advice is try to wait it out and get your mind off it until you can give what you ordered a fair chance.

Jul 1, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #15 of 26
Yep, you right. sound quality is a priority too. I wish those headphones will give me both.
If it won't, that's going to suck, because I just spent most of my money on headphones I want to listen to music with outside without people have to know what songs I listen to. and when you get down with the volume, sound quality is getting a bit lost too (like details which are really important to me, that's why I like it loud).

Maybe the M\PRO doesn't sound that night-and-day different. once again, maybe it's just a placebo...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back