I see......weird things!
Jul 27, 2003 at 10:34 PM Post #16 of 24
Do you have any cost effective suggestions of how I can upgrade my optical equipment to eliminate noise? How much does a new "owl-type" or "eagle-type" replacement visual cortex cost? Will they be compatible with my current setup?

tongue.gif

Jul 27, 2003 at 10:49 PM Post #17 of 24
There are a bunch of theories of how we see color. Each explains some things, but not others. For example, the tricrhomatic theory that we have three different repectors that detect three different ranges of light doesn't explain the afterimages you see. The opponent process theory that says we have two types of receptors, one that either detects green or red and one the detects yellow or blue explains them better. Basically it says that the cells get "tired" of saying "red" or "yellow" for a while and when they get no input they overcompensate and send false images. OP theory also explains why there is red/green colorblindness, and yellow/blue colorblindness, but no red/yellow or blue/green colorblindness. Evidence suggests that our eyes actually "see" in trichormatic, but that our brain processes vision using OP.

Stare at a bright yellow piece of paper for a bit, then close your eyes or look at white sheet of paper. You will still "see" the box, but it will be blue! Red box: green image. Really strange.

Some other fun eye things that I have noticed:

If you are driving with the sun to one side on a straight empty strech of road, alternate opening and closing each eye. I allways notice that one eye (the one on the sun side) sees things very green and blue, and the other sees things more yellow and red.

Take a lens out of a pair of sunglasses. Wear them, after a few mins you won't be able to tell there's no lens. Not only will the brightness of the no-lens side seem to match the side with the lens, but the colors will as well.

Apparently the brain tweaks the vision a lot to keep colors and brightness constant.

Here's a page about color vision:

http://www.psychology.psych.ndsu.nod...%20Vision.html

Jul 28, 2003 at 12:23 AM Post #18 of 24
What you're describing sounds rather like what I see if I stare at a light bulb briefly and then close my eyes. The floating shapes (which are usually in chartreuse or purple in my case) are called scotomas and can often accompany a headache. St. Hildegard often drew what she thought were visions of angels; doctors have since decided from their shapes that what she depicted were scotomas. It is commonly thought that Hildegard suffered from migraines.

Jul 28, 2003 at 12:40 AM Post #19 of 24
i get things similar to that if i turn a bright light on or off to quickly, sudden change in light level, i figured it was temporary retina trauma or something, but it always goes, so i dont think about it.

but normally when i close my eyes, all i see is dark.

Jul 28, 2003 at 12:46 AM Post #20 of 24
those "neon" images sound like simple aftershocks. Its like if you stare at a bright light for a minute, then close you're eyes, you'll see a slight after image. I think of it like you're retina (the rods and cones) are kinda like capacitors, they have to discharge. If you over stimulate them then suddenly switch off the power (ie close you're eyes) you'll see after images. :-D but hey i could be wrong
cool.gif

Jul 28, 2003 at 1:54 AM Post #21 of 24
In addition to "floaters" and scotomas, there are also "phosphenes", those flashes of light triggered not by any actual visual input, but by neurological activity triggered by pressure (E.G. rubbing your eyelids).

I don't think it's the explanation, neither, but thought I'd mention it from the perspective of "seeing weird things".

Jul 28, 2003 at 5:15 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Outdoor Man
I told you before......Stay of drugs.

Peter.

I don't need drugs -- I'm normally like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back