I really need an amp suggestion for K701 in particular...
Mar 8, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #16 of 23
I don't know, but my Dared and LaRocco can't handle one part of a particular song and they just distort out at that part. If I am spending all this money, I don't want my amp to do that to me on any song I want to listen to. I do have a tendency to listen at higher volumes than most people but honestly this issue happens at moderate volume also. I've suspected that the phones can't take the amount of bass of that part of the song, but several factors have me considering the amp as the issue. It also happens on other songs, but at higher volumes. I want the K701s to get all the current they need to keep those drivers controlled with an iron fist.

Mar 8, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #17 of 23
I noticed the very thing you are looking for with the SP Extreme. I was using a Xin macro4x2 buffers for reference. I could drive them ok but with a vol. at 12 oclock for full detail. At 3, it would start distorting the amp.

When I got the SP, the first thing I noticed was how the amp took total control of the 701s. From low volume listening to rocking out in my moments of passion, the amp did everything right and have never heard the 701s distort. In particular is how much detail is provided while listening at lower dbs.

The Grados don't need a lot of power so I find the SP to be overkill (makes them sound good though). But the Senns and AKGs are driven wonderfully with reserve power to spare. I don't have experience with other amps. I wanted to buy once. I am a happy camper with this amp.

Find one used for best value.

Mar 8, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You said it was your first experience with liking the K701, were there other experiences?

Yup. With the SP Extreme, Yamamoto HA-02, and others that are out of the price range.

A head-fi friend loaned me his K701s for a few weeks. I'd sadly sent out my Heed Canamp to be modded at the same time. From folks whose opinions I respect, I'm itching to hear this combo, and at that price point, a whole lot of music can be bought as well.

Mar 8, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kodreaming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about XIN SuperMacro IV?

I really don't want to purchase a desktop size amp...

What's the reason for not wanting a desktop amp? The K701s really need more than portables can provide. I've tried the 701s with the Reference and the mini only. If you have to go portable, both Xin amps I heard do better than the other portables I'm familiar with, but know that you're making some pretty big compromises in sq.

Mar 8, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #21 of 23
I am moving around quite a bit. Plus, I don't want to go through the long upgrading path... My plan is to jump to a top setup (like stax omega or k1000 something) once I am settle down.

A top portable is really my best choice now...

Mar 8, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #22 of 23
Per your sig, you don't have the K701s yet, but have D2000s on the way. If true, the D2000s do pretty well with the couple portables I have and have tried with them. That would be a much better match, and a nice set-up while you wait. I recently heard the Omegas for the first time. Definitely worth waiting and saving for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back