I really need an amp suggestion for K701 in particular...
Mar 6, 2008 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

sxr71

1000+ Head-Fier
But will be used with Grados also and maybe HD600 one day.

I currently own a LaRocco PR-II and a Dared MP-5. I understand the portable won't fully drive my hungry K701. As for the MP-5, despite the FOTM hype surrounding it which caused my purchase it really can't drive my K701 adequately.

I would like to stay around $500 but I will consider spending more if it is really warranted. Honestly I would be open to building a $500 amp rather than pay $1000 for a commercial amp of similar quality. I would rather pay a builder $950 than pay for a $1000 commercial amp that could have been built for $300. I know this sounds harsh, but I'm a student right now and when I graduate I will happily pay $$$$ for commercial product.

Given my experience, I need one thing: This amp needs to have some balls. I don't want to buy this and find out that it won't drive my K701/SR-225/whatever adequately. It honestly shouldn't have to cost too much to get an amp that will properly drive a pair of headphones. I mean we're really only needing about a watt for peaks. I'm so frustrated with anemic headphone amps that I feel like jury-rigging my headphones to the speaker output of my home amp
wink.gif

Can someone please point me in the right direction? I don't care if it is a tube amp or SS as long as it can drive anything thrown at it. In fact I'll give bonus points if it can drive a pair of speakers from it's headphone out!
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2008 at 8:21 AM Post #2 of 23
This is based on my research:

Solid State:

$300 - $500: Heed Canamp, Corda Cantate, Lisa III
$500 - $1000: Corda Opera, GSCPA, AMB labs Beta22

Tubes amp:

$300 or less: Darkvoice 336i & some mention Little Dot MKIII
$400 - $600: Bada PH-12, Stock Woo Audio 6
$700 - $1000: Darkvoice 337, Cayin HA-1A, MAX WA6, Singlepower Extreme
$1000 - beyond: Zana Deux

Hybrid:

$300-$400: Musical Fidelity X-CAN V3 Pinkfloyd Mod + Little pinkie PSU

PS: Bada PH-12 was a hybrid too!

Mar 6, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #3 of 23
Add HeadRoom's balanced desktop to that list. Hearing that combo gave me my first experience of liking, rather than just respecting, the 701s.

EDIT: apologies if this is out of the price range mentioned as I'm not really sure.

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 23
On my previous thread (K701 eargasm... ),
someone mention that standard PPX isn't properly able to drive K701 to it's potential, or even standard MPX3 (I believe Pataburd said these). SP extreme so far creating the best result.

Correction : Pataburd = Budapest , sorry Bud!

Mar 7, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Add HeadRoom's balanced desktop to that list. Hearing that combo gave me my first experience of liking, rather than just respecting, the 701s.

EDIT: apologies if this is out of the price range mentioned as I'm not really sure.

Actually $1000 for a balanced amp is pretty reasonable, but recabling my phones might take it over my budget. Still, I'd have to wait to save up for that unless I find one used. You said it was your first experience with liking the K701, were there other experiences?

Mar 7, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On my previous thread (K701 eargasm... ),
someone mention that standard PPX isn't properly able to drive K701 to it's potential, or even standard MPX3 (I believe Budapest said these). SP extreme so far creating the best result.

My gut kind of tells me to go with Solid State on this one but maybe my understanding of headphone amps is incorrect. I don't think tubes in my price range would do the trick. But I could be wrong. That B22 sounds really nice and I might even go so far as to build one. I'll bet a design like that commercially built would be a $3000 amp.

Anyway, I will check your thread also.

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #8 of 23
I really wanted to try out B22 amp, and if I even get it...
I think that would be the last solid state amp that I will bought...
enough of it... I wanted tubes amp!
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #9 of 23
I'm having excellent success with the Bada PH-12 and the K701 or the even-harder-to-drive K501. Right now, tubed with 1x Mullard ECC33 and 2x Russian 6N8S/1578 (atomic industry grade), the vocal, acoustic and spatial realism are simply incredible over the Bada PH-12/K501!

With common sense precautions (i.e. waiting an adequate amount of time between tube rolls--I usually wait at least 12 hours between rolls) and active, external cooling (I keep a $10, 6-inch Lasco desk fan trained upon the Bada all the while it's in use), this is one absolutely killer hybrid amp for the price!

And it uses 3x 6SN7 dual triodes, one of my very favorite tubes with loads of options. : )

Add a few signal coupling capacitor upgrades (I'm hoping to upgrade two pairs of these to V-Caps, God willing, this summer), and a worthwhile, dedicated support thread, and the Bada should keep me content for a good, long while. : )

p.s. Have tried: Pimeta Home; Gilmore V2-SE; Corda HA-2/HA-2 Mk.II, Prehead; RKV Mk.II; Singlepower MPX3 (non-SLAMM/could not adequately drive the Moon SDV2/K701); Dynahi Veda SE; G&W T2.6F; Darkvoice 336i; Bada PH-12. The Bada has been the satisfying of them all, to my ears and IMHO. : )

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With common sense precautions (i.e. waiting an adequate amount of time between tube rolls--I usually wait at least 12 hours between rolls)

Please elaborate. Why is this necessary or a good thing?

Mar 7, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethebull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please elaborate. Why is this necessary or a good thing?

ethebull,
MosFETs (output transistors) could blow if tubes are rolled before capacitors adequately drain. Go to dedicated Bada PH-12 thread for more information.
PatABurd

Mar 7, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ethebull,
MosFETs (output transistors) could blow if tubes are rolled before capacitors adequately drain. Go to dedicated Bada PH-12 thread for more information.
PatABurd

OK, I understand and know about Cap discharge but I am not a Bada owner.

For my all tube Little Dot, I've been lowering the volume to a whisper then turning off the amp as the source continues to play. Music will continue through the HP's for several seconds then slowly fades out.

I'll then wait a few minutes before changing out a tube. Wouldn't the above steps adequately discharge the capacitors?

Sorry to highjack the thread guys. Hoping others might benifit here.
redface.gif

E

Mar 7, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #13 of 23
Bada recommends a 2-3 hour wait between tube changes, Pacific Valve and Electric 5-6 hours. I usually wait at least 12 hours (i.e. overnight), while other PH-12 owners recommend a full 24 hours.

The 2SK1529 Toshiba mosFETs that the amp uses are susceptible, plus the Bada design, unfortunately, does not include adequate bleeder resistors, hence, Bada owners wait "just to make sure" the Toshibas don't bite the dust. The fix is fairly cheap, parts-wise (the 2SK1529 are about $10 apiece), but also fairly tedious and time-consuming--just ask Dr. Arthur Wells.

If and when you get your Bada, you can be the first test case for attempting to significantly shorten the interval between tube rolls, as-per your method described above. Please try it, then report back to the rest of us PH-12 owners as-to how it works. : )

Mar 7, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #14 of 23
I must be way on left field.
confused.gif
I have owned a K701 since around November 2005 and I find it that at the volume level I listen at I have no problem driving them with:

- Musical Fidelity X-Can V2
- Musical Fidelity X-Can V3
- Mapletree Ear + Purist HD200
- O1 Amp/Dac
- Singlepower MPX3 w/ or w/o Slam Adapters
- Green Solo
- Heed CanAmp
- Lots of different portable amps

So what gives?

Mar 7, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must be way on left field.
confused.gif
I have owned a K701 since around November 2005 and I find it that at the volume level I listen at I have no problem driving them with:

- Musical Fidelity X-Can V2
- Musical Fidelity X-Can V3
- Mapletree Ear + Purist HD200
- O1 Amp/Dac
- Singlepower MPX3 w/ or w/o Slam Adapters
- Green Solo
- Lots of different portable amps

So what gives?

This is similar to my experience. With all my amps I have never thought that there was a problem providing enough power to drive my K701s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back