I really need a pair of headphones (Sub-$100)
Jun 22, 2008 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gordolindsay

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi there everyone!!

I've been around the headphone block for a while now and have owned most of the mid-priced high end phones (HD650-twice, HD600, DT880, K701, RS-1, MS-2i, etc.)

But now money is tight and I don't get a ton of time to sit back and listen to anything. And if I do get an hour or so to listen I don't have any phones to listen on!!

So I need some advice from the experts in the $100 phone category. I had the K240's at one point but hated the earpads. But I've seen they came out with a new model that comes with some velvet pads or something like that.

A couple more choices I've seen that I've not heard are:

Denon D1000
Audio Technica ???
Grado SR-80
Senn 555
Sony MDR-SA1000
and
AKG k240 mk 2?

I don't know what else there is to consider. I listen to mostly classic rock, jazz, and blues. Lots of other stuff too, but those categories are the main ones I would like to concentrate on and have the better headphone for.

I want something that is fun and interesting, not harsh but not veiled, good detail retrieval and punchy bass.

Thanks in advance!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #5 of 10
I love my Grado SR80's!
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #6 of 10
After auditioning SR-60s and 80s I bit the bullet and went for the 80s. To me, they had more of a 'complete' sound. Far more energetic and lively, and what seemed to me like a wider sound stage. After hearing the hype of the MS-1s, I decided to order a pair and see how they actually sounded.

They do provide more details in the highs and mids, but I felt the lows were a little lacking. I don't mean to say I like boomy bass, the SR-80s provide very sharp and refined bass. Its more like the MS-1s lacked impact where I like it. I sold them off a little under what I payed for them to a close friend and she loves them.

Jun 23, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #8 of 10
Denon AH-D1001 or Creative Aurvana Live! The latter sports improved AH-D1000 driver from Foster, and after ~150h of burn-in the bass gets lower, better controlled, but even straight out of the box CAL sound better than SR60, SR80 or HD555.

Jun 23, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #10 of 10
Considering your previous Grado experience and the type of music you listen to, I would take a look at the MS1. IMHO, the SR80 is better than the SR60, but the MS1 maybe more flexible than both of those. Do not forget either, there are some great deals that can be had in the FS when it comes to the $100 price point cans, everyone upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back