I really hope I am not getting scamed on head-fi
Aug 15, 2006 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

solvexyz

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi, I am a bit concerned about my recent purchase from a new member on head-fi last week.

Below is some background:

* Item is worth about 400 USD (you guys can guess what that is).

* This seller has 1 nice feedback on heatware on the day I decided to buy from this sell, but now the feedbacks is back to 0, so this very bothers me.

* Seller said that will be able to ship out the item on the day I made the purchase and gave me the tracking number. However later on, after the payment was paid and several hours have passed, I heard nothing from this seller, so I pm'ed right away to try to get a tracking number. Sadly, the seller told me that could not make it, and will ship in 2 days because the next day the seller would be busy, and promised me to upgrade the shipping, which I assume is shipped via AIR using Purolator.

* I have emailed the seller several times starting August 13th, and I have never gotten any replies, and I noticed the seller last activity on head-fi was August 13th as well.

* Based on the the website of purolator, it indicates that shipping from the seller's location to my location will only take 1 business day, and it has been 2 business days already and still no sights of the package.

I made the payment via paypal using CC. I can start issuing a chargeback on my CC. However, right now, I am still trying to think that the seller is really busy, but based on what things have going on lately, I think I may be falling into another scam on head-fi.

Therefore, what do you guys think. Should I just issue a chargeback then?

Aug 15, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 40
How many posts does he have? When did he register?

Aug 15, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
How many posts does he have? When did he register?

Less than 50, and only few days before the seller starts selling.

Aug 15, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #4 of 40
The Credit Card Company will take up to 90 days to do a charge back. They will give the Seller the opportunity to complete the transaction and then give PayPal an opportunity to resolve the transaction. So you're probably not going anywhere for the 60 days PayPal requires. Filing a PayPal dispute or requesting a Charge Back is a last resort and not a good one. To be having second thoughts immediately after the purchase is not a good sign.

2 days? Yeah it seems strange but it's only been 2 days.

Let’s be honest here. You gave someone $400 who has no feedback? Did you call them and get their address? I mean- be real. How many posts on Head-Fi do they have?

"Less than 50, and only few days before the seller starts selling."

Come on guys- there’s some responsibility on the Buyers part to at least use common sense.

Mitch

Aug 15, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 40
Now I was in a similar situation here once where a guy promised to send me an AV-710 for free, so I gave him my information and never heard from him after that. Well as you can imagine I got nervous, sent a couple threatening/hostile PM's, because I assumed the guy had stolen my information to scam me or sell it to an ad company, in in reality, it just took 8 business days for the card to get to me (which, when it ships thursday, is a long time), and then I sent an apologetic PM and still heard nothing back. Weird, eh? Give it a few days.

Aug 15, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 40
Hi, guys thanks for the nice posts, especially from Mitch.

Yah I should have been more responsible as a buyer, but anyway.

What do you guys think about this?
* This seller has 1 nice feedback on heatware on the day I decided to buy from this sell, but now the feedbacks is back to 0, so this very bothers me.

I have used heatware a lot on several other forums to look up for credibility, and thus grows very confidence with heatware feedbacks. Anyway, don't you guys think that is weird? Do you think that is a very clear indication of scam? Because any of the defending processes take time to go through, therefore, I would like to take actions asap?

Aug 16, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #7 of 40
It does seem that the situation isn't ideal, but I'd give it a little more time before you start to worry. Just like MD1032, I've dealt with sellers that don't respond to emails at all but you end up getting your package after a while.

I don't really use heatware so I can't comment on the 1 to 0 feedback issue. Did you try refreshing the page after deleting temporary internet files?

Aug 16, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 40
I would give him atleast 2 weeks.

Aug 16, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #9 of 40
ok guys. thanks for all the help.

I will give it some more time, and report back the results.

Aug 16, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #10 of 40
No sweat. I could tell you to not worry and all will be OK but heh I don’t believe in fairy tales either.

One thing I’m concerned with is as Head-Fi becomes better known it will become a magnet for scammers and the like. This necessitates our members be more vigilant and proactive to scams. To do proper research and contact the Seller to establish credentials and to have a valid address incase things don’t work out. We as buyers are responsible for our own safety.

“I have emailed the seller several times starting August 13th, and I have never gotten any replies”

Being a nuisance buyer also won’t motivate the individual. You need the guys help so keep any correspondence polite. If it becomes a pissing match he has your money and there’s really little you can do.

Mitch

Aug 16, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #11 of 40
My advice, after a recent bad experience where I was taken for $200 from a 4-year member of Head-Fi, give the seller some time but make sure you file with Paypal before the 30 days are up. I was told "not to worry" by the seller and believed him so here I sit, $200 lighter in the wallet with nothing to show for it. So if it were me I'd give the guy a week to contact you with a valid tracking number. If he doesn't, file with Paypal. If he does, give it a week to arrive. If it doesn't, file with Paypal. That's more than enough time in my book.

Aug 16, 2006 at 12:11 PM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
My advice, after a recent bad experience where I was taken for $200 from a 4-year member of Head-Fi, give the seller some time but make sure you file with Paypal before the 30 days are up. I was told "not to worry" by the seller and believed him so here I sit, $200 lighter in the wallet with nothing to show for it. So if it were me I'd give the guy a week to contact you with a valid tracking number. If he doesn't, file with Paypal. If he does, give it a week to arrive. If it doesn't, file with Paypal. That's more than enough time in my book.

Wow. Just.Wow. Keep that in mind when you see what this real hero has to say. How he can even be here and posting at this place is beyond me.

Aug 16, 2006 at 12:54 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher

Man, I just read your feedback...I can't believe it. The logic in his argument is so seriously flawed...I'm speechless.

As for buying stuff on Head-fi, its typically safe but it seems that a small percentage of people are scammers or plain lazy. I think the influx of newbies has created an atmosphere of "when I get time I'll ship it." Maybe we need to draft a contract or template like this:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=48329.0

Aug 16, 2006 at 1:07 PM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Man, I just read your feedback...I can't believe it. The logic in his argument is so seriously flawed...I'm speechless.

It is a rather large suck-pill to swallow that's for sure. I think the fact that he didn't even try to reply says volumes about it as well.
frown.gif

On topic: the real lesson, until the item is in your hands and working you have to assume that you're getting hosed. It sucks, really sucks, to have to take that type of defensive position and makes transaction a lot less fun. But it sucks even more to see money flushed down the toilet so one is left with little choice.

Aug 16, 2006 at 1:24 PM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Less than 50, and only few days before the seller starts selling.

I can't say one way or another about this particular situation, but it does appear that some scammers are attempting to lure members into a false sense of security by signing up and quickly making a series of posts to give the appearance they're not as new here as they are. As has been mentioned, it's up to everyone to be aware and take precautions when making transactions with people you don't know ... whether it be here or any other site.

Also, another ploy scammers sometimes use is to casually mention in a non-for sale thread that they are "thinking" about selling some item....the idea being that members, hoping to scoop the item before it's officially for sale, will contact the person directly and make an offer. This way, the scammer can do his thing behind the scenes ... possibly to more than one victim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back