I really don't like the Beachboys...
May 11, 2004 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

acs236

Headphoneus Supremus
But Pet Sounds is really, really good. I picked up the DVD-A and am quite impressed. Any other albums of theirs I might like based on this?

May 11, 2004 at 4:51 AM Post #3 of 22
"Pet Sounds" is one of the few rock/pop albums to live up to the critical hype. Wait for this years release of the lost Brian Wilson/Beach Boys "Smile" album. We'll see if that one does too.

May 11, 2004 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 22
Strange - when I read the title to this thread, I clicked on it to say... "But you've got to hear "The Pet Sounds Sessions" box set. Well, I guess you've at least made it half way there. What is cool about the box set in the disc with all of the outtakes that gives you a real sense of what Brian Wilson was trying to accomplish. It is designed to lets your ears help you 'see' what he was aspiring for... and then when you listen to the final cut albulm again you realize that it was as near to perfection as you could ever find in pop music back in those days.

May 11, 2004 at 8:41 AM Post #6 of 22
I've heard a lot of comparisons between Pet Sounds and Rubber Soul on the other side of the pond (apparently Rubber Soul was a big inspiration of Wilson's), and I can definitely see the similarities. The songwriting is quite good but the subject matter seems pretty immature to me. The Beatles were able to escape the clutches of co-dependency for Revolver, though, so I'm hoping Smile will show a similar development in Brian Wilson.

While I don't think Pet Sounds is as consistent as Rubber Soul, the highlights of Pet Sounds are much better than anything on Rubber Soul. The songs "You Still Believe in Me" and especially "God Only Knows" are quite amazing.

That said, I tend to disagree with people who rate this album as "the best of all time" or "the best pop album ever conceived." It has a couple really strong songs and a lot more that are pretty forgettable. Nice harmonies, though.

~Jordan

May 11, 2004 at 9:46 AM Post #7 of 22
"Surfer Girl"
"In My Room"
"Don't Worry, Baby"

I would put these songs up against anything ever written by the Beatles, Stones, whoever. Amazing songs. And some of their kitschy "surf" stuff is really great rock n' roll, as well.

I agree that Pet Sound has some amazing high points and well as some forgettable stuff. My favorite tracks are actually the instrumental ones - great audition pieces.

May 11, 2004 at 10:04 AM Post #8 of 22
When I was a kid my parents got me a BB album. It has Surfin Safari on it, but I can't remember the album title. Maybe it's Surfin' Safari, but I don't know. Either way, I absolutely loved that album. I have never heard Pet Sounds, but may pick up a copy of the DVD-A.

May 11, 2004 at 10:49 AM Post #9 of 22
Good album...but largely one of a kind as far as the collected works of the Beach Boys go IMHO.

May 11, 2004 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 22
i've got the vigotone 2 CD bootleg of "smile," (actually a CD-R, sigh)... great sound quality for a bootleg.

smile is a worthy successor to 'pet sounds'... in fact, i'd say pet sounds is simply an appetizer to the entree that is smile.

but while musically i prefer smile, the stereo remaster of the pet sounds box set obviously sounds far better (the DVD-A probably sounds fantastic).

if it's really truly true (i've heard it before) that smile will finally be released this year, i'll be a happy man with a giant smiley smile on my face.

May 11, 2004 at 7:53 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenear
Sort of off topic. Will my NAD T532 player recognize a DVD-A disc as a CD? I'm strictly a 2 channel listener and I have an old Nakamichi receiver.

Thanks

Nope. However, it will play in a standard (non-DVD-A) player.

May 11, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236

Sorry, but to clarify, do you mean it will play in a standard DVD (non-DVD-A) player?

May 11, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

But Pet Sounds is really, really good. I picked up the DVD-A and am quite impressed. Any other albums of theirs I might like based on this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
the stereo remaster of the pet sounds box set obviously sounds far better (the DVD-A probably sounds fantastic).

I have two vinyl versions and two CD versions of that Pet Sounds album. My two vinyl versions are an original rainbow-label Capitol 1966 mono copy and a 1999 180-gram stereo remaster (the latter vinyl copy was pressed by RTI, the same plant that also presses vinyl for Analogue Productions and Classic Records). My two CD versions are the 1999 mono/stereo copy and the 2001 mono/stereo copy (the latter "fixed" the problem by using Mike Love's vocal in the bridge that was extracted from the mono mix and then synchronized with the stereo mix in place of Brian Wilson's vocal in the bridge that was on the earlier stereo mix). I like the original 1966 vinyl version more than any CD remastering of the mono mix. But I like the 1999 vinyl version most of all -- the CD versions of the stereo mixes sound a little shrill to my ears.

May 11, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

So a DVD-A disc will play in stereo on my NAD T532? If yes, would the sound be better than a regular CD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back