I quit smoking on the fourth.
Jul 7, 2007 at 4:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

ilikemonkeys

500+ Head-Fier
Really burned it down on the fourth.....

It's tough man.

Pack a day habit is hard to breach!

I have a hard time believing that I"m 80 cigarettes behind now!

Any vibes my way would be greatly appreciated. I"m not going back....the feeling is just way too unhealthy. I smoked from 16 to 22 and then took five years off and I'm 32 now. I've got to grow the hell up.

Nothing like a family history of cancer to entice you.

Bill

Jul 7, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #2 of 39
I quit cold turkey many years ago and it was hard. Still a non smoker except for a good cigar now and then.

I have personally seen 3 pack a day smokers quit with the patch. I think it was Nicoderm. They are still free from the addiction. I am a believer in the patches as long as you wear them every day. Once you get past the first month you are pretty much set. Stay away from areas where people smoke as well so you will not get the urge to start again.

Congrats too.

Jul 7, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #3 of 39
Congratulations! I'm sure it has to be very, very hard, but never look back. I've had six co-workers die from smoking related lung cancer and two family members. No one that you love should go through watching that happen to you. And you have family history too, thank god you realized it, and made the decision that you did. Please remember that, and stay smoke free.

JC

Jul 7, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #5 of 39
It only gets easier so just stick with it. Don't cheat. I quit about a year-and-a-half ago with the patch and it completely worked. Absolutely permanent. Best thing you'll ever do.

Jul 7, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #6 of 39
Does it ever get easy?

seriously?

I remember when I quit for 5 years last, I thought about it almost every day!

It's a monkey...damn monkeys!

I'm sick of watching my dad go in for biopsies......he smoked for a long time and everyone in my family died of cancer. It's time. I'll be okay, but I may bitch about it a lot.

I've never posted in "General" before but I thought any words of wisdom would be very welcome.

Thank ya'll.

Bill.

Jul 7, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #7 of 39
Well done. Now you can spend that money on headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #8 of 39
Good luck with you. You will make again, since you were able to quit it for 5 years.

As a smoker, I tried quit smoking countless times, like every two hours. but no avail. So, I quit think about quiting smoking.... like let it go, you know.
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by jules650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well done. Now you can spend that money on headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

+1

I personally think smoking is nasty. If you're gonna smoke, smoke cigars, that's the manly one. Strictly from a verbal pov, cigarETTES...-ette denotes female. A cigarETTE is a smaller cigar, which initially were a womans "fag", or smoke. You're smoking a pansy-girly cigar...mineas well wear lingere', lol.

In all seriousness though, congrats on the stopping!!!!

Jul 7, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #11 of 39
Yup; smoking IS nasty. I had a three-pack-a-day habit and I found after I quit that the first seven and a half years was the worst.

But that was in '74, and it's all behind me now.

Yeah; it does take some effort, but it is do-able. Just don't give up; it's well worth it.

Jul 7, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #12 of 39
Yes it gets easier but IMO an small desire will stay with you. I quit cold turkey on 2/28/1982. I used to smoke two packs a day plus a cigar and pipe as well.

It will start easing off little by little hang in there and think about the over $120 of take home money you will be saving every month (plus your health will improve). Good luck.

Jul 7, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #13 of 39
I quit cold turkey May 12th, 2006, so its been a bit over a year now. I found the first 3 or so weeks were the hardest. After that I haven't really had any dramas with it. Which is amazing since smoking goes so well with one of my other favourite pastimes, drinking beer! And I can assure you I still drink.
tongue.gif

Hang in there. It gets easier.

Jul 8, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #15 of 39
Congratulations!!!! I quit like.....well indeed many years ago, after 10 years of this stupid and iscgusting habit and I could not be more satisfied, please be patient and resist.....Just think in how many pairs of heapdhones were you missing a year with that expense....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back