I preordered a headroom Ultra Microdac for $700
Sep 18, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #16 of 34
I think the ultra-micro will be a big hit. I've got a bit of experience with the max dac as a stand alone source and based on what I hear it competes well with anything in its price category. Granted, my DAC is running a much more robust power supply than the ultra-micro will but I still expect that it'll sound fantastic.

Sep 18, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #17 of 34
What is wrong with the burr brown 2902? Isn't this what most DAC's use for usb in? What does quite poor mean?

n_maher, are you the guy who took the max dac and actually built a standalone case for it? Because that was pretty badass. I'd like to hear more about it. What do you use as a power source?

Sep 18, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by n4k33n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
n_maher, are you the guy who took the max dac and actually built a standalone case for it? Because that was pretty badass. I'd like to hear more about it. What do you use as a power source?

Yup, that'd be me.
biggrin.gif
What I've got is actually a balanced MAX-DAC module in a custom chassis with a sigma22 power supply which was designed by amb (a member here). I've only been running it single-ended so far, but I'm more than just a little impressed by it and most who've heard it (see the recent Boston Meet thread) have given positive feedback as well. I've heard the Benchmark (somewhat briefly) but not many others of the major players in the sub-$1000 DAC category so I can't offer any real comparisons to those products but more and more I think this hobby is about finding a sound that you can enjoy rather than trying to determine if general consensus says something is better. Me, I enjoy the heck out of the MAX DAC (and home DAC for that matter, which I heard in the balanced desktop I reviewed a while ago) and think that it's only potential downfall is the fact that HR managed to pack a lot of performance into a tiny chassis. I have a feeling it'll compete quite well against some much bigger boxes, don't let the size fool you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

What is wrong with the burr brown 2902? Isn't this what most DAC's use for usb in? What does quite poor mean?

Means that MicroDAC USB input is not as good as SPDIF. The reason why most owners pair MicroDAC with something like Transit.
Stello has a much better implementation of that section (still USB/SPDIF though), at least if there is any audible difference between direct USB and externally converted it is not in favor of the latter.
Incoming Pico from Justin even uses USB/I2S, and preliminary impressions are very promising.

Sep 18, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #20 of 34
^ Ah, OK. After I get this I will buy an maudio transit too. Thanks for the heads up.

Sep 18, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #21 of 34
if this thing can really hold its own against other top external DACs (apogee, lavry, stello, benchmark), then it should be a pretty popular product. and if they somehow managed to also offer a higher-end model with RCA and XLR outputs, a volume control (maybe), and which accepted a standard power cord, then it would be a killer product - even if it cost $200-$300 more.

Sep 18, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #22 of 34
Yeah, so to those reading this in the Silicon Valley area, as soon as I get it maybe we can have some kind of mini meet and compare and contrast :)

Sep 18, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Yeah, so to those reading this in the Silicon Valley area, as soon as I get it maybe we can have some kind of mini meet and compare and contrast :)

Sweet we can compare it to my DAC1
eggosmile.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #25 of 34
Has anyone who has actually heard the headroom max dac in its current state (as part of the amp line) against a dac1?

Oct 22, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Has anyone who has actually heard the headroom max dac in its current state (as part of the amp line) against a dac1?

I have posted this on several other threads when the same question was asked, so at the risk of sounding like a "fanboy," here goes:

I have a HR (SE) Home fully Maxed and I HAD a Benchmark Dac1. At first the Benchmark was the obvious winner but as the HR maxed amp burned in it was hard to justify the Benchmark. Yes, it had a tad more detail but it also sounded a bit harsh to me at times. In the end I liked the touch of warmth the Max dac offered and it was hard for me to really tell any major differences between SQ, air, etc. in the Benchmark Dac1 verses Max Dac. I have since upgraded to a Northstar M192 and it give me the best of both worlds at a higher level ...detail and warmth are wonderful with my Ed9's! Having said this, I think the internal Max Dac at least in the "Home" unit is awesome and when combined with an upgraded power cord, the beefier PSU of this Home amp is a winner.

Oct 22, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

At the upcoming FLA meet they'll have a somewhat unique version of the HR Max DAC to listen to (my DAC). You might keep an eye on that thread for impressions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #28 of 34
I just got off the phone with headroom and this should actually ship off to me this week!

Oct 22, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #30 of 34
^ Yeah, but that setup has the added appeal of being so small and compact. It really is amazing if you think about it. It would be great for an office setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back