I prefer comfort over sound-quality
Sep 11, 2007 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

outlandos

100+ Head-Fier
- I have $200 to spend on in-earphones.

- I prefer comfort over sound-quality.

- I strongly prefer Y-cables over J-cables.

- I prefer "fun" sound over more accurate, boring sound.

- Again, I love comfort and can not enjoy music if something is bugging me.

Any recommendations are welcome, thanks!
580smile.gif

Sep 11, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #2 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by outlandos /img/forum/go_quote.gif

580smile.gif

A few questions need to be answered before we can really offer some decent advice:

1) Have you ever actually used a pair of IEMs?
2) If yes to question 1, what model of IEMs did you use?
3) If yes to question 1, how would you rate them on a comfort scale from 1 to 10?

As for my own opinion, the most comfortable IEMs I have used to date have been the Westone UM2s.

But for maximum comfort, the best way to go is with custom fitted IEMs. The only such IEMs that are even remotely close to your price range would be a pair of Livewires, but you would have to save a few more pennies first...

Sep 11, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few questions need to be answered before we can really offer some decent advice:

1) Have you ever actually used a pair of IEMs?
2) If yes to question 1, what model of IEMs did you use?
3) If yes to question 1, how would you rate them on a comfort scale from 1 to 10?

As for my own opinion, the most comfortable IEMs I have used to date have been the Westone UM2s.

But for maximum comfort, the best way to go is with custom fitted IEMs. The only such IEMs that are even remotely close to your price range would be a pair of Livewires, but you would have to save a few more pennies first...

I have only had 1 pair of IEMs before, the Sennheiser CX300, which I think were pretty comfortable, like 8/10 (-2 for the J-cable).

I appreciate your help!
cool.gif

Sep 11, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #4 of 38
Quote:

580smile.gif

Well, based on what you mentioned, Mylarone XB comes immediate to my mind. Or you can also consider X3. You may check out the other threads for more info on them.

Moreover, your budget should allow for an amp (recommended) to bring out its sonic qualities.

Cheers.
etysmile.gif
(not ety but XB or X3! Mine are with the relief in red and blue, which makes for easy identification)

Sep 11, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #5 of 38
i would recommend the westone um2,they offer the sound you want and are very comfortable,i put them second behind my se530's for comfort,livewires might be a nice investment tho

Sep 11, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by tristram /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, based on what you mentioned, Mylarone XB comes immediate to my mind. Or you can also consider X3. You may check out the other threads for more info on them.

Moreover, your budget should allow for an amp (recommended) to bring out its sonic qualities.

Cheers.
etysmile.gif
(not ety but XB or X3! Mine are with the relief in red and blue, which makes for easy identification)

Sorry, but what's an amp?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would recommend the westone um2,they offer the sound you want and are very comfortable,i put them second behind my se530's for comfort,livewires might be a nice investment tho

Lots of people talk great about the Westone UM2 they indeed seem to be very conformable, but they are $300, which is 50% more than I actually have to spend!
frown.gif

EDIT: Denon C700 seems to be very nice aswell and they are not that expensive, but can they hold up (soundwise) to earphones like Westone's UM2s?

And what about the Shure SE310? Are they comfortable by general standards?

Sep 11, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #7 of 38
CX300s are more earbuds than IEMs. As a rule IEMs start at, at least $100.

An Amp is the beginning of your path to death & glory here on Head-fi.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 11, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CX300s are more earbuds than IEMs. As a rule IEMs start at, at least $100.

An Amp is the beginning of your path to death & glory here on Head-fi.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well it took me a few days for me to get used to the CX300 and if they are considered more earbuds than IEMs, then I have yet to try out my first IEMs!

But the remark about "amp" doesn't really help me out that much
wink.gif
have you got any links to good amps (price/quality-wise), please?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraegorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting thread. I never even knew IEM's could be more or less comfortable. I've previously owned the shure 3c, and now own super.fi 5's. I've found them both to be uncomfortable. Not too crazy about IEM's, but that's what it takes to survive the NYC subway's during work commute.

The super.fi 5's are - for what I've heard - one of the less comfortable IEMs in that price class, yet they offer very good sound quality and have a nice price tag!

Sep 11, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraegorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting thread. I never even knew IEM's could be more or less comfortable. I've previously owned the shure 3c, and now own super.fi 5's. I've found them both to be uncomfortable. Not too crazy about IEM's, but that's what it takes to survive the NYC subway's during work commute.

Yup, when I worked downtown I definitely needed IEM's for going around the South Ferry loop on the 1 train.

Sep 11, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #11 of 38
Beside custom mold, I personally don't think any IEM will be comfortable at first several trials. I always think that people get use to using universal IEM, but not the other way around. Also remember to get some comfy foam tips, it usually makes most IEM quite comfortable.

Sep 11, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

But the remark about "amp" doesn't really help me out that much
wink.gif
have you got any links to good amps (price/quality-wise), please?

Well you did say you liked comfort over SQ, so I thought an Amp wouldn't be for you. Besides true IEMs do very well without them.

Price-wise, its like headphiones, i.e. you can pay what you like, to an extent.

The Xin SuperMini/Micro are your friends for around $200.

Sep 11, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well you did say you liked comfort over SQ, so I thought an Amp wouldn't be for you. Besides true IEMs do very well without them.

Price-wise, its like headphiones, i.e. you can pay what you like, to an extent.

The Xin SuperMini/Micro are your friends for around $200.

Thanks, I guess I'll do without!
orphsmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeh the denon c700 are very good indeed why didnt i think of those,very good balance of bass and highs and suprisingly comfy

So it will either be the Denon C700 for about $120, or the $300 Westone UM2.

So Shure's (SE serie) earphones ain't as comfortable as the above models? Because the new (and cheap!) SE110 seems nice value for the money and the SE310 is in my range aswell.

Sep 11, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #15 of 38
Are you sure that iems are what you are looking for? What will you use the phones for?

A sennheiser hd595 would fit in your budget, it is very comfortable and it sounds good at the same time. They can even be powered from a soundcard or a mp3 player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back