I pod and lossless ??
Jun 7, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #16 of 22
My biggest problem with ripping to WAV using EAC is getting the files tagged properly. If you use iTunes to rip the CD straight to ALAC, you will have all tags perfectly. If you rip to WAV, you will have no tags since WAV files can't hold tags. Unless anyone knows of a way to use CDDB to automatically tag a WAV file, then ripping to WAV is useless if you care about good ID3 tags.

Jun 7, 2006 at 12:55 PM Post #17 of 22
haven't played with this part of EAC but i believe that's what cue sheets are for. if i understand it correctly, they contain all of the album info that can be used in conjunction with .wav files when converting to a lossless or lossy format. then your final files will have all of the tag info. someone please correct me if i got that wrong.

Jun 7, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #18 of 22
Heck... itunes/lossless for me.
If I want the quality you guys strive for, I use my cd player!!! On the move, the small difference really doesn't trouble me!

Jun 7, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

If there are not errors on the CD the iTunes will do as good a job as EAC. Make SURE you do check the box in iTunes that turns on what error correction it does have (which still isn't as robust as EAC).

But I still think that for this gentleman iTunes and Apple Lossless are the way to go. I have EAC and FLAC encoders, but going through all that is way too complex, when iTunes is SOOOO easy. And my CDs are almsot all in mint condition

It's definitely easier, but Coaster Factory does have a really good walkthrough for EAC. May not be worth it, but you should be able to have EAC completely configured and understood in under an hour. You may not be able to do it on your own, but this tutorial is fullproof.

And while I'm sure you heard it a million times already, are you SURE you want lossless for portable use?

Jun 7, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by sjwong
It's definitely easier, but Coaster Factory does have a really good walkthrough for EAC. May not be worth it, but you should be able to have EAC completely configured and understood in under an hour. You may not be able to do it on your own, but this tutorial is fullproof.

And while I'm sure you heard it a million times already, are you SURE you want lossless for portable use?

I'm planning to go EAC too.

http://users.pandora.be/satcp/tutorials.htm

Is the ALL of the information that I'll need to know?

Jun 8, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #21 of 22
I hear a big difference on my Eastsounds E5 with well recorded music. My mobile fidelity CD's and JVC XRCD's are much more enjoyable to listen to through good equipment. Will this difference transcend to the apple lossless format? Or will there be no discernable difference?

Thanks again

Jun 8, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by John2e
I hear a big difference on my Eastsounds E5 with well recorded music. My mobile fidelity CD's and JVC XRCD's are much more enjoyable to listen to through good equipment. Will this difference transcend to the apple lossless format? Or will there be no discernable difference?

Thanks again

Lossless files will sound identical to the CDs they are ripped from, so yes, you will certainly be able to tell the differences you hear with better-recorded CDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back