I-plug VS L-Plug
Mar 8, 2012 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Xinn3r

100+ Head-Fier
What kind of plug do you guys prefer for your headphone/IEM's?
Let us know 
wink.gif

Info:

Right Image: I-plug, straight plug,180 degree jack
Left Image: L-plug, 90 degree jack

I personally prefer the I-plug, I think it is more usable in any situation.... in my pocket, as well on my computer, the angle is just better

Mar 8, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #4 of 14
Depends on where the DAP's headphone jack is located (top, bottom, sides). I-jacks are arguably more suitable when the jack's at the bottom or top, while L-jacks are better when the jack's on the sides.

Mar 8, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #5 of 14
I like that a stock L-plug can be really low profile like it is on the TF10. What I am completely uninterested in is the DIY L-plug because it seems like it would be really bulky for portable use. Then again I haven't used one.

An L-plug e.g. on the TF10 plugged into an extender bothers me a little though, as long as we're being picky. Since I'm not that picky, either shape is fine since most stock leads have very small connector housings. I do feel like those 45 degree connectors need to make up their mind though. I haven't noticed a benefit to that kind of angle.

For desktop use, I can see the advantage of an L-plug as it pertains to stress on the jack.

L-plugs on 6.3mm or XLR terminations are rather interesting and kinda sexy. I have yet to take the plunge though. Maybe when I run out of straight plugs I'll give them a try.

Mar 8, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
I like that a stock L-plug can be really low profile like it is on the TF10. What I am completely uninterested in is the DIY L-plug because it seems like it would be really bulky for portable use. Then again I haven't used one.
An L-plug e.g. on the TF10 plugged into an extender bothers me a little though, as long as we're being picky. Since I'm not that picky, either shape is fine since most stock leads have very small connector housings. I do feel like those 45 degree connectors need to make up their mind though. I haven't noticed a benefit to that kind of angle.
For desktop use, I can see the advantage of an L-plug as it pertains to stress on the jack.
L-plugs on 6.3mm or XLR terminations are rather interesting and kinda sexy. I have yet to take the plunge though. Maybe when I run out of straight plugs I'll give them a try.

And more often than not, L-shaped plugs have the proper strain reliefs that a lot of lower-end IEMs with I-plugs don't.

Mar 8, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #7 of 14
L plug for me also, the IEM's that split or I had problems with were always straight plugs but if its a IEM I really want it doesn't matter I'll still buy it with a straight jack.

Mar 8, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #9 of 14
I am genuinely surprised, I thought an I plug was generally more well liked, but as it turns out, L-Plug may have a better durability...

Mar 8, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #11 of 14
Frankly, it depends on a lot of factors. I find they I prefer one plug to the other depending on where is the jack on the DAP or the amp . For instance, if the jack is on top, I prefer I-plug but if it's on the side I prefer L-plug. Also, I guess it also depends how you carry your portable rig. I consider the pic in the OP to be kinda misleading coz not a lot of L-plugs have such an angle but if I had to chose a perfect plug it will be something like that or as I call it a j-plug.

Mar 8, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
Frankly, it depends on a lot of factors. I find they I prefer one plug to the other depending on where is the jack on the DAP or the amp . For instance, if the jack is on top, I prefer I-plug but if it's on the side I prefer L-plug. Also, I guess it also depends how you carry your portable rig. I consider the pic in the OP to be kinda misleading coz not a lot of L-plugs have such an angle but if I had to chose a perfect plug it will be something like that or as I call it a j-plug.

Agreed, that "L" plug picture is misleading. 

Mar 8, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #13 of 14
That isn't even an L-plug, but one of these useless 45-degree ones. My ProAlpha has one which I find functionally useless. If they were more flexible at the bend they'd be much more practical.

Also, in the OP, the left image should be an 180-degree jack. Normal L-plugs would be 90-degrees.

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
That isn't even an L-plug, but one of these useless 45-degree ones. My ProAlpha has one which I find functionally useless. If they were more flexible at the bend they'd be much more practical.

Also, in the OP, the left image should be an 180-degree jack. Normal L-plugs would be 90-degrees.

Ah... I see... OK, will edit that immediately

Users who are viewing this thread

Back