i picked up some scrap parts, are any of it useful?
Dec 4, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 5
Mmm, dusty old radio parts. (VHF transceiver?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by expxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was thinking of maybe building an amp or something audiio related (any suggestions?) are any of these parts useful?

Depends on how desperate you are, really. The power transformer is probably the most easily usable part; if you're desperate you could save the main rectifier, maybe the cheap heatsink, and perhaps a couple diodes or two.

The problem is what you've got is mainly old, cheap passives - resistors and capacitors - and RF parts - coils, inductors, crystals - with a bunch of old digital ICs, not terribly well suited to audio use.

Dec 4, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 5
Probably not, every once and a while I will snag a heat sink or two from old boards. The thing is the trans are not worth anything and the resistors and caps you can buy so cheap that it is not worth de-soldering them and then having a small lead to use next time around.

Recycle them though
icon10.gif

Dec 5, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 5
Read up on proper electronics safety, then measure the output of that power transformer. You might be able to use it. There is no reason to reuse caps and resistors unless they are something really high end, and I don't think there are useful chips there. (Which is pretty much what the other guys said).

Paul

Dec 5, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 5
Yeah, transformer could be useful (probably not high quality or shielded well, though). There's also a relay in the bottom right of the third pic. They're not terribly expensive but if you can get it off the board they're fun to play with. Resistors and caps aren't worth saving like other have said - they definitely aren't audio quality and were only worth a few cents each when new. Some of the ICs could be fun to play with if you're into microcontrollers but they wouldn't be useful in any DIY audio, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back