I own the Westone UM3x, which mp3 player should I buy?
Mar 3, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by superpiper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, going " old school" you would normally ( for a static system anyhow's ) look to spend 30% on each part, with the last 10% on interconnects . I think this is a good rule of thumb and can be applied to portable setups as well.
This then, suggests that to get the optimum bang/buck for your headphones, one should purchase an amp and a DAP of equal value. The DAP bit is blurred by the fact it contains an amp ( and lots of other ***** , Sound only DAP's are a dying breed.)
The westones are $400, so you should have allocated another 6-800 for the amp/player. $400 on an amp is easy, ( Ttvj slim for example ) but the DAP is another problem. Maybe an imod...

I'd say the above two should be stellar ( in theory) for the westones.

However, you may ( and wisely so) bought the best earphones you could possibly afford
if that is the case , and you want a multifunction DAP, without an amp, the 3GS is a good starting point.

Because my unamped Iphone beats my amped 5.5gipod ( a forum favorite for the last few years) IMHO then I'm stuck to suggest something worthy of $400 earphones

Am I making sence

Dear,
Thank you for your explain. I understand it right now, and I must say that is a nice rule of thumb.
So do you suggest that I should buy a Iphone 3gs instead of a Ipod Classic 160GB because it have a better SQ?

Mar 3, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #17 of 23
^
I dunno tbh. I'm not sure one should amp the 3GS, it takes away from it's beautifull simplicity. If the IPOD has the same sound signiture as the 3GS then I'd say deffo, but I don't know. The last (classic) iPod I listened to (6gen) sounded pants.

(anybody any good suggestions for a good dap worthy of $400 earphones???)

Mar 3, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by superpiper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^
I dunno tbh. I'm not sure one should amp the 3GS, it takes away from it's beautifull simplicity. If the IPOD has the same sound signiture as the 3GS then I'd say deffo, but I don't know. The last (classic) iPod I listened to (6gen) sounded pants.

(anybody any good suggestions for a good dap worthy of $400 earphones???)

Oké thanks,
Then we should wait till other people post their opinion!

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #20 of 23
Damn, 400 for the UM3x? I got mine for about 150 less, what about the S9? I see the X comments, but I think 300 bucks for 16 gig player is a bit bloated, can get a 32 gig s9 for $259. Cowon also seems to support their community, Sony seems like a headless corporation, except for the PS3 which has amazing support

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagojammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn, 400 for the UM3x? I got mine for about 150 less, what about the S9? I see the X comments, but I think 300 bucks for 16 gig player is a bit bloated, can get a 32 gig s9 for $259. Cowon also seems to support their community, Sony seems like a headless corporation, except for the PS3 which has amazing support

I payed 260 for the Um3x, free shipping and now taxes. I am not a very big fan of the build quality of the cowon players. And indeed the ps3 had a amazing support.

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #22 of 23
s:flo2. But meh, that whole 1/3 1/3 1/3 thing can vary greatly with portable audio. The s:flo2 has amazing quality (better than most/all other mass market players (sony, zune, ipod) and costs less.

The Sansa Clip/Fuze also sounds great for well under 100 bucks.
But the amp is going to depend on the IEMs if it's worth that "1/3" price or not. Going to a UM3X, I'd say it's worth it to get an amp but I would worry about that last if I had the money to spend on one.

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #23 of 23
The Fuze with Rockbox, and very minor adjustments to the EQ and other sound settings, makes for an incredibly pleasing match with the UM3X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back