I ordered the HE-400i
Nov 23, 2015 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

12many

100+ Head-Fier
I ordered the HE-400i yesterday.  It was down to these or the X2 from Philips.  Don't know which is better, but this was the route I went due to the sale at HIFIMAN.   Looking forward to giving them a go.  I figured I can always pick up the X2's later or try to listen to them first.  I hope I made the right decision, but between these two, both options were probably good picks. 

So my set up is going to be the HE-400i with Iphone 6 with Itunes music and some lossless files I ripped of CD.  I will see if I can tell a difference between 256kbps or the lossless files. I don't think I will be able to, but sometimes I surprise myself.   Then I will be looking for advice on the next step. 

I will try this set up for awhile then decide if I want to upgrade to an dac/amp and whether to get rid of my HD598s.   I have read that the 400i's will benefit from an amp.   Looking at the TEAC HA-p50 or the Modi/Magni combination.  I move around the house so would like some portability, but not out-and-about portability.   I am always near a plug in around the house - upstairs or down.  Still lots to learn. 

Just sharing.  

Nov 24, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #2 of 34
With a nice pair of headphones, it would be extremely hard not to notice the difference between 256 and lossless music files if it is a quality recording.  At least this is the case with me anyways.

You can run the 400i from your iphone if you want, but it really benefits from an amp.  Modi/Magni combo is a great build, and what I use to power my much more power hungry HD650s with.

If you didn't want to spend $200 on the Schiit stack, a cheaper option that could get you by would be a Fiio e10k or and e11k if you plan on running them out of your iphone at home.

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #4 of 34
Get a nice DAC and amp for sure.  Like Music Alchemist suggested look into modding; people love to apply that grill mod and also aftermarket pads.

Nov 24, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 34
Thanks for the feedback.   I plan on getting an amp after I try the 400i's out for a bit.  These types of things fit in the monthly fun budget  

For no good reason, I just can't warm up to the Fiio line.  If I had to buy today I would go for the Magni / Magni Uber route.  Seem well made and have ample power to drive most anything.  I think I could make the set mobile enough to carry them around the house.  I have a plan in mind for a tray.  They are only about 5"x3.5" so not too big.   I need to research how they pair with an iphone though. 

Interesting about the re-grilling option.  Maybe someday.  I like to stretch out my research/purchases so I have something to which I can look forward each week or month.

Mostly what I what is the headphones to ship.  It has been two days (ordered Sunday at midnight - now 6 pm on east coast) and nothing shipping yet.  I am spoiled by Prime shipping. 

Nov 24, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #6 of 34
For no good reason, I just can't warm up to the Fiio line.  If I had to buy today I would go for the Magni / Magni Uber route.  Seem well made and have ample power to drive most anything.  I think I could make the set mobile enough to carry them around the house.  I have a plan in mind for a tray.  They are only about 5"x3.5" so not too big.   I need to research how they pair with an iphone though. 

The Magni amps use a wall wart power supply. Not exactly portable.

Nov 24, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #7 of 34
Agreed, but at least they are small.  I was thinking of both on a tray and then a power strip with a single cord.  Certainly not ideal for movability and it is bit red-neck.  I am not going out to the gym or the airport.  Just hoping for enough to move it upstairs or downstairs or room to room. 
The upside is good sound quality and more power than a portable. 

I have been looking at portables with batteries, such as the TECH HA-p50 (160 mW) or the Oppo version (220 mW) but not sure about sound quality and if it will properly power the 400i.  I would think it would but some posts indicate a watt of power is required ! 

Nov 24, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #8 of 34
Agreed, but at least they are small.  I was thinking of both on a tray and then a power strip with a single cord.  Certainly not ideal for movability and it is bit red-neck.  I am not going out to the gym or the airport.  Just hoping for enough to move it upstairs or downstairs or room to room. 
The upside is good sound quality and more power than a portable. 

I have been looking at portables with batteries, such as the TECH HA-p50 (160 mW) or the Oppo version (220 mW) but not sure about sound quality and if it will properly power the 400i.  I would think it would but some posts indicate a watt of power is required ! 

They are definitely small enough to move them to different areas at home. I often move them between my desktop and entertainment center.

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #10 of 34
If you can afford it, the Massdrop Grace M9XX is pretty incredible with the 400i. And very portable (WAAAAYYY more portable than an Schiit stack).

Nov 25, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #12 of 34
Do you think the hifiman 400i is better than the 400s? I really wantbto get one of these but dont know which is better.

Yes the 400i is better and it's not close.

Nov 25, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #15 of 34
Thanks. Which amp dac combo would you run on the 400i?

Depends on how much you want to spend.  I'd recommend something like a Schiit Modi/Magni stack, which starts at $200.  An O2+ODAC combo is also pretty nice for $270.

I myself got an Uber Modi/Magni stack which is $300.  Drives my HD650 really nicely.

If you want cheapest of the cheap, the Schiit Fulla at $80 and Fiio e10k at around $70 are good options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back