I ordered the Denon AH-D2000 just as they were "discontinued", what's a suitable alternative?
May 19, 2012 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Derlus

New Head-Fier
I was recently doing my headphone research as I normally do and I'd decided I'd finally come to the conclusion of what I should purchase, the Denon AH-D2000. I checked many websites to find the best price I could, and then I found out they were being discontinued. I searched and I found that J&R would get them to me for the best deal, $220. I purchased them just as I found out they are being discontinued, hoping I'd get one of the last pairs. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case. I haven't been charged and they haven't let me know they've been shipped. They've also been "On Order" the entire time. I've decided I'm never going to get these so I've turned to you, what are some good alternatives to the D2000?
TL;DR: Tried buying AH-D2000, out of stock. Need alternatives, good for a wide variety of music, around $200.

May 19, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #2 of 9
DT990s perhaps? They have insane bass quantity for open cans, whilst still remaining pretty tight (with a good amp), aren't too harsh on the treble with good recordings (again with an amp), and are all around very detailed. The mids are a bit scooped however, but it doesn't sound terribly unnatural by any stretch. Ultrasones are, IMO, a little too recessed in the mids, especially where all genres are concerned (even compared to the Beyers). The Ultrasones are also much much much brighter to my ears (specifically the Pro900), in addition to sounding quite unrealistic. Of course, the Ultrasones to have much tighter bass, although I personally enjoy the well-rounded and textured bass of the DT990s more.

Another option for a flatter but still well-extended (and detailed) signature would be the DT880s, of course. I might recommend the HD600s, but they're also being discontinued so the price is outrageous. 

Take what I say with a grain of pepper, because salt is overrated (lol lame joke). Oh, and also because I haven't heard the Denons at all... and now it appears that I might not ever hear them :frowning2:

May 19, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #3 of 9
Check out the Creative Aurvana Live.

http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/M/B000ZJZ7OA.htm

May 27, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 9
May 27, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Have you managed to find any D2000s?

Dave Rat had a quest to find a replacement headphone for his Sony MDR-CD3000 and found the D2000 to be the closest match with the Ultrasone HFI-680 as his second choice. Maybe check out the HFI-680?

http://www.ratsound.com/cblog/archives/365-The-Mighty-Headphone-Quest-Part-6.html
http://www.ratsound.com/cblog/archives/369-The-Mighty-Headphone-Quest-Part-7.html

I haven't, J&R keeps telling me that they expect their order from Denon to be filled and that they're on back-order, but I really don't expect to receive them. I'll check out the Ultrasones. Do you have any experience with them?

May 27, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
I haven't, J&R keeps telling me that they expect their order from Denon to be filled and that they're on back-order, but I really don't expect to receive them. I'll check out the Ultrasones. Do you have any experience with them?

Yes, I am using them at the moment. I like them a lot, but I don't have a wide variety of headphones to compare them to.
I have the following headphones:
Sennhesier HD-650
Sennhesier HD-595
Sennhesier HD-280 PRO
Ultrasone HFI-680

I generally don't like the sound of my Senn 595 and Senn 650. I find the mids to be too full and the treble energy too weak. This creates a really boring experience for me.
I do however like the sound of the HFI-680. When I first got them I felt the bass was a little bit more than what I wanted, but it got better after a while. I generally don't know how to describe sound in words. Maybe somebody else with an HFI 680 can help me out?

May 27, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
I generally don't like the sound of my Senn 595 and Senn 650. I find the mids to be too full and the treble energy too weak. This creates a really boring experience for me.

Interesting, why do the guys like you ,do not spoke more often. When you read opinion here, it's almost as if every senn headphone are near perfect.
And I didn't find hd800 treble particularly "energic" either (I mean always "smooth", even with a relatively harsh sound).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back