I need to be hi-fi deflowered, Help me plz!
Apr 15, 2008 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rukawa11

New Head-Fier
After reading through this forum, i think i'm ready. I've decided on getting the hd580/600/650, probably the 650 although i feel a little spoiled going straight to the boss without leveling up.

I live in an apartment so I don't want to have my neighbors kill me by blasting music so i've decided to go the headphones route. I already bought an onkyo home theatre system,the sr600 which is a 5.1 system for $119 that i couldn't pass up since i was looking for a receiver anyway because my tv doesn't have a headphone output(also a receiver is essential!).

So knowledgeable audiophiles, I just have some questions since i know almost nada.

1. I will be using headphones typically to listen to everything, movies, every type of genre of music(mostly popular music), and when i'm playing my ps3. I'm not sure what my budget is but I'd like to say ~500 (i'll try to get the hd650s for ~250 and the ld mkv2 directly from little tube for ~200, unless i can find it cheaper in the buy and sell forum). I understand that I will need a very decent amp to power the 650s and are there any suggestions besides the ld mkv2 and if the mkv2 will be sufficient enough to power it.

2. I also don't know technically how this will work, meaning, what do i connect to what. Let me know if this is wrong, from common sense i would think that i would connect the TV, CD/DVD player to the receiver, PS3 to the TV(since the receiver doesn't have any hdmi slots), and ultimately I will buy a pc for media uses and connect the soundcard to the receiver, and then output the receiver to an amp and then plug the headphones to the amp?

3. For music, i think i will be mostly streaming to my ps3 through tversity from my laptop. But when i ultimately get the media pc, I will then need to buy a dac? or would an x-fi sound card be sufficient?

4. Ive heard that what i need to begin with is the headphones and the amp, and then later on upgrade on other things such as dac and recabling. I just wanted to know if recabling the hd650 will improve it drastically, making it "another animal". and if so, I would like to get this and what suggestions are there for the 650's. I have looked up the kimber pbj's and they are pretty cheap, would those be good enough? or would dropping $300 for the zu's be that much better?

5. I'd like to also know what a "balanced" setup is, and if i want to try this out from the start, would i be looking into a different amp and cable?

I'm extremely excited to embark on this voyage, and I thank you guys for sharing your extensive knowledge.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #2 of 8
Yikes, that was a bit of disturbing thread title.

Apr 15, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #5 of 8
I'd suggest if you have a sub $1000 budget, you'll most likely be happiest with the hd580 or hd600 from the senn product line. It makes fewer demands on the amp than the hd650.

As to amps, I'd look for a good m^3 or millett max.

Apr 16, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd suggest if you have a sub $1000 budget, you'll most likely be happiest with the hd580 or hd600 from the senn product line. It makes fewer demands on the amp than the hd650.

As to amps, I'd look for a good m^3 or millett max.

hey guys thanks for your replies, i still need a bit of help. I googled the m3 and the millett max, and it seemed like u had to build it yourself, is there a site that sells them? and would the ldmk2 be good for the hd580 or would i have to get the ldmkv

Users who are viewing this thread

Back