I need some reggae
Oct 30, 2007 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

seals

100+ Head-Fier
My reggae collection is pretty small at this point ( almost non-existent) , and seeing as I have a trip to Hawaii planned soon I think it would be appropriate to get some more. Please recommend me some. Thanks

Oct 30, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #2 of 18
Mine is just starting as well, but my current favorite is Sizzla, Black Woman and Child.
wink.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #3 of 18
Steel Pulse has always been pretty solid.

Oct 30, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #5 of 18
Sizzla is definately chill. I like Horace Andy as well, but that might just be because I'm a huge Massive Attack fan.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 18
Bob Marley/The Wailers, Peter Tosh, Jimmy Cliff, Messenjah, Black Uhuru, Third World -- all classics worth checking out. Pretty much any reggae produced by Sly & Robbie will be great.

Oct 30, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #7 of 18
anything produced by the "other" reggae legend, Lee "Scratch" Perry. The Upsetters, Junior Murvin, etc.

the 3-disc collection Arkology is a must have for any real reggae fan.

Oct 31, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #8 of 18
Guessing you're already up to speed on Bob Marley, right? Well, just in case, if you don't have the Wailers' Burnin' or Catch A Fire, do yourself a favor. Two other cornerstone albums are Burning Spear's Marcus Garvey and Culture's Two Sevens Clash. Someone already mentioned Lee Perry's Arkology, which is fine, though personally, I don't always like it when some tracks are repeated to show different "dubs" or mixes. Because reggae has always been more of a singles medium, however, if you're looking to get caught up in an instant, I'd splash on the 4-CD set Tougher Than Tough: The Story of Jamaican Music. It runs from the '60s to early '90s, and is programmed so beautifully that I can remember having different discs from it in my CD carousel for weeks on end. Hope this helps.

Nov 1, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UB40 - present arms LP

A fine, fine record; you can also get the best songs on it on the early best-of 1980-83. I tend to play that more because I like that it opens with "King"—as in Martin Luther.

Nov 2, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #15 of 18
If you want to listen to someone of the predecessors of reggae and involved in early reggae I would recommend The Skatalites, Judge Dread, and Toots and The Maytals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back