I need some headphones
Nov 10, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by gitarmunky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've decided to splurge on headphones (splurge by my layman definition, not the audiophile definition), so I need some help deciding which ones to get.

I intend to use them for music. I've got a limit at $150 and I intend to wear them mostly at home. I also want one that has a circum-aural design cause I find those more comfortable. Can anybody point me to a few good models?

Thanks in advance.

If you want "comfortable", get Audio Technica A700s.
I use the Audio Technica AD500s, I know I could have them on my head for hours with out any discomfort.

Nov 10, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
before just forcing SR-80's on him....lol

my honest suggestion would be away from Grado's, unless you can audition them, mostly due to the comfort aspect (ntm the sound is honestly not for everyone, people who like it will suggest it endlessly, people who hate it, well, hate it, I'm really in-between on it, I have my little SR-60's and listen to them from time to time, but always end up back with the HD 580's or D2000's eventually)

I would go with the D1000/D1001, or Q40's, without being able to audition, if I had to make the call based on having heard both of them, memory is telling me Q40's win it out over the D1k's, although the D1k's are also very good headphones (they're both quite versatile tbh)

I still say try the 80s, unless you're a basshead. They sound fantastic out of anything and don't ask for much. Plus, they're light and inexpensive, which helps with the comfort aspect of bowls.

Nov 10, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still say try the 80s, unless you're a basshead. They sound fantastic out of anything and don't ask for much. Plus, they're light and inexpensive, which helps with the comfort aspect of bowls.

try, yes, force him to purchase them over anything else, no

the SR-80's are not the end-all in this price range, nothing is to be honest, my suggestion is towards something fairly "balanced", not towards buying into the Grado house sound, which isn't for everyone

hence the suggestion of the D1000 and Q40

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by gitarmunky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've decided to splurge on headphones (splurge by my layman definition, not the audiophile definition), so I need some help deciding which ones to get.

I intend to use them for music. I've got a limit at $150 and I intend to wear them mostly at home. I also want one that has a circum-aural design cause I find those more comfortable. Can anybody point me to a few good models?

Thanks in advance.

Sennheiser hd595s. Most comfortable phones ive worn. They are about 20-30 dollars above your budget but worth every penny.

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser hd595s. Most comfortable phones ive worn. They are about 20-30 dollars above your budget but worth every penny.

that is a good point, however if he can't go over $150, that should be considered (I know, I know, wait and save is a valid response)

another advantage with the 595's is that they'll benefit from an amp upgrade in the future, vs most of the other stuff here is really neither here nor there (it'll sound better amped, but it won't be like zomgz)

Nov 11, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #21 of 33
I'm not spending more than $150 so the 595s are out. The D1001s are out too cause I don't want to screw them up trying to modify them.

The five I'm seriously considering are the 555s, the sr80 (I read some reviews and changed my mind), the Q40, the audio technica a700, and the sony MDR7506 (which have absolutely phenomenal reviews on amazon).

Nov 11, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #22 of 33
The D1001s are fine the way they are. They don't need modding. Sure, they might benefit from modding, but that's not sufficient reason to insist on modding them. Or to drop them from a list.

Anyway, of the lot I'd say go for the Q40 if you can't try the SR80s on. Even if you can, the MS-1s (not in your shortlist) is a more natural candidate given your price. Also, if the A700 is on your list, why isn't the AD700? You don't seem to have anything against open cans.

Nov 11, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #23 of 33
because AD700 is like $160 and therefore probably out?

lol.

honestly I would put zero stock into amazon reviews (who cares what they say, half those people couldn't find their own ass with a map, its the typical "yay i spent money look at me" mentality)

the 7506 has been described as muddy, boomy, flabby, and overly bright

the 555's, D1001's, Q40's, A700's, AD700's, and SR-80's are the better list to be looking at imho, and I'd go with the D1001's, Q40's, or AD700's as my first choice

Nov 12, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #24 of 33
Well, if you guys have listened to them (the 7506s) and agree that they aren't that good, then I'll stay away from them.

I'm now leaning towards the Q40s but I just read a review that criticized their reliability. How reliable are they according to you guys?

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
because AD700 is like $160 and therefore probably out?

The AD700 is at ~$100 on amazon.com and is definitely within his budget. For home use, without the need for isolation I think they are the best choice for you. Especially since they are comfortable and does many genres well.

Nov 12, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AD700 is at ~$100 on amazon.com and is definitely within his budget. For home use, without the need for isolation I think they are the best choice for you. Especially since they are comfortable and does many genres well.

really?

wow, yet again audiocubes fails me
frown.gif

Nov 12, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #30 of 33
I'd say they should be strongly considered knowing their within your budget

and knowing they're $30 cheaper than what amazon wants for the Q40's (which is probably near the lowest price oyu'll find, list is $150, amazon wants $135), I'd get the AD700's knowing how well they've reviewed and knowing you save $30, you should be happy

and they're AT, so not lowest impedance ever, but relatively low

another headphone I'm kind of wondering why nobody suggested is the HD 280 Pro (granted, it'll be cold and overly analytical without an amp)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back