I need some aid in picking out a watch.
Jul 19, 2006 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 108

Predator88

100+ Head-Fier
Well the way I see it, a good watch is one of the basic staples of a man's possessions (headphones too of course). I'm addicted to wearing them, I find it necessary to have one on at almost all moments; it literally drives me crazy to not have one. However I lack one that is fitting for dressier or more formal wear. I have a nice Swiss Army Cavalry that I love and got a really good deal on. I have a cheap junkish one for general screwing around and physical activity. So I think I'm looking for something with a metal band (or a really nice strap). Being a mere student, I don't want to spend more than $200. I'd probably like a black face on it. Basically anything that could look good with a suit, while also looking good for more casual uses. I'm beginning my search but I figured that I'd at least post here looking for some fellow members to help point me in the right direction and/or make some suggestions. Thanks
rs1smile.gif

Jul 19, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #4 of 108
Jul 19, 2006 at 8:42 AM Post #8 of 108
Under $200? How about under $100 for a quality mechanical watch? Try the Invicta 8926. Here's a review with pictures:

http://home.woh.rr.com/johnholbrook/8926.html

This is one of the most famous "bargain" watches out there. Don't bother with quartz, mechanical is where it's at. (Though Accutrons are cool, too.) The 8926 is is the SR-60 of the watch world. Freakishly good quality at a seemingly too-low price. You can find them on eBay for under $90. Read the review and take a look. This is a great watch.

If you're in the used or vintage market, there are other good deals out there. You can find used Fortis watches at a decent price- I especially like the Flieger line. Also take a look at another underrated value, the Eterna Matic. Much better known in Europe, but you can often find their Kontiki models affordably here. Those are excellent watches. Also, prices have climbed lately, but another fantastic watch is the Accutron Astronaut. Don't fear the tuning fork, there are lots of people who still work on them and they're dead reliable. I wear a Spaceview most of the time. You might like those, too. Here's a link to a photo:

http://www.accutron214.com/images/St...sSpaceview.jpg

Edit: Also, take a look around here:

http://www.pmwf.com/cgi-bin/Forum/webbbs_config.cgi

The Poor Man's Watch Forum is where the WIS (Watch Idiot Savants) on a budget hang out. You can learn a lot there.

Jul 19, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #9 of 108
This $100 Skagen 572LSXM (also known as SK988) isn't my dressiest watch, but it's my dressiest < $1K watch:

[size=xx-small](Click to link to Amazon product page)[/size]

The photograph doesn't show it off well. It's better-looking than it appears here.

Jul 19, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #10 of 108
there's also another monstrous head-fi thread about watches. There may be something in there that catches your eye. Do a search here for "Invicta" and you should find some good recommendations in your price range.

Jul 19, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #11 of 108
After that, I think I'm getting an Invicta...Damn you head-fi!!!

Jul 19, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #13 of 108
Actually i would say go for Quartz unless you have a special interest in watches - then mech is the way to go.
I have several mechanical movements and sure they are neat and stuff but unless your "into" watches - a good quartz movement is far more practical for everyday use.

When shopping for a quartz watch the innards doesnt matter much at all - they all cost $5 to make and all are fairly reliable. What differs from model and brands are the quality of the outside, case, strap and glass.

Generally i would stay away from expensive quartz watches (e.g. Tag Heur) and watches that carry any brand that isnt usually associated with watches.
Pulsar, Seiko and Citizen make great quality quartz watches that usually are very durable.

Jul 19, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #14 of 108
Ive been happy with my citizen eco drive. Ive been wanting to try a mechanical though. that invicta 8926 is EXACTLY what I'm looking for, too cool.. the SR60 of the watch world.

Not to hijack this thread too much... but whats the KSC75 of the watch world?

Garrett

Jul 19, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #15 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir
After that, I think I'm getting an Invicta...Damn you head-fi!!!

And for once, there's a lady's version! As a general rule, most of the cool watches I think are made for men. It's always been like that for me really. Guys always got the cool toys. I mean, what would you rather play with, transformers or barbie? Yeah, rest my case.
biggrin.gif

At last a watch suggestion that I can use, that appeals to my sense of taste... and my wallet. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back