I Need Some Advice.
Nov 15, 2011 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Jlox1

100+ Head-Fier
So I wanted to know how I could become one of those people who companies personally send their newest products to me so I can listen/ test them and send them back or potentially keep them because that would be AMAZING ! And what would that "job" be called.

P.S. : I know i'm in the wrong forum but I assumed i'd get the most responses out of this one.

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 29

1) Become a firm contributor to the audio industry as an amateur, become a productive poster on many forums.

2) Start a blog and keep it active and interesting.

3) Approach other established magazine or on-line forums for collaboration.

4) Apply to audio makers or retailers for a second part time or weekend job. This will give you access
   to gear.

5) Achieve points #1 to #4 and you're well on your way 
smile.gif

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 29
Hello. I guess you should have to start by reviewing product with your own money and put out reviews and videos and news everywhere, then after 15 years if your reviews are good enough, the companies might start sending you stuff.

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 29

Open a free account with blogger.com

Simple, you just email any publication or on-line forum admin address with your intentions.

However, as James McProgger pointed out ~ you need a reputation first, which will have
to built upon either you sourcing the gear from your own pocket or if you work in an
audio store - this will give you the ability to review gear.

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 29

Quote:

Simple, you just email any publication or on-line forum admin address with your intentions.

Please don't think of me as an idiot but, can you give me an example of a publication or online forum. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #7 of 29

Quote:
Hello. I guess you should have to start by reviewing product with your own money and put out reviews and videos and news everywhere, then after 15 years if your reviews are good enough, the companies might start sending you stuff.

Exactly. Take as an example the guys at headfonia.com

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #8 of 29

Quote:
Please don't think of me as an idiot but, can you give me an example of a publication or online forum. 

You have a little more work to do than that, man... Doesn't seem like you have the reputation bit down, work on that first.

Nov 15, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #10 of 29

You can try creating a blog with tumblr and focus on something specific, such as earphones, then once you have 10 earphone reviews you can send a few emails to bloxearphone and 9wave and so on and ask them if they'd like their latest product included in your blog.

Another example would be to focus on DAC's, you could call it "THE JLOX lovely review place".

Nov 15, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:
that would be AMAZING !

If you think it would be amazing then just focus on the niche you're most passionate about, make the reviews long and detailed and invent a fair scoring system.

Keep the reviews honest so it doesn't look like you're just saying everything is amazing.

that 'job' would be called audio critic (like film critic).

Nov 15, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #12 of 29
Nov 15, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Here's two examples from guys who are already there :-

http://www.sonicscoop.com/2011/11/14/review-grado-labs-ps-500-headphones-by-george-walker-petit/

and

This is where you want to be..

Nice example.

Quote from the link:

"This is the perfect headphone at any price lower than about $1200…they are astounding.
I took my pair out to a recording session in L.A. and asked the entire band and the assistant engineers to try them. They were ALL blown away, and then I took the 500’s to a jazz session in NYC and asked the acoustic bassist, Phil Palombi to give them a go. He wants a pair.

I purchased a Pelican case for the 500’s and for the 1000’s as well and take one or the other pair on the road with me when I know there will be critical listening to do…to mix or edit music that will be released. I also bring my SPL Phonitor…but that is another story!

So, Grado hits it out of the park yet again: American-made, gold wire, low impedance, un-hyped bass, truth in sound.
It is as simple as this: They are fantastic, they kill everything below $1200 out there and come in at $600."

and...

This is where you do not want to be..

Lots of hype, no scoring system, not a single photo (of the headphone or the band), no comparisons to other headphones, etc.

As soon as most people (90%+) read "the entire band was blown away" they stop reading, the ones that continue reading are the ones that are already sold or already have the product and just want to read a glowing fake review to reinforce their beliefs.

Good luck Jlox1 I'm sure you will have fun but you won't be showered with jewels, you are better off getting a job at your local H&M. :wink:

Nov 15, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #14 of 29
damn..i wish i was a more legitimate fake 

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #15 of 29

I read the review again, highlighting some key words this time lol. =)

Quotes:

"sonicscoop - NYC's music and sound creation connection"

"My friend and I got into it pretty quickly yesterday"

"The folks at Grado [which is based in Brooklyn, NYC – ed. note] recently sent a pair of their new PS500’s to me for review and testing."

"Because at an MSRP of $600, there is absolutely NOTHING on the market that comes even close."

"I took my pair out to a recording session in L.A. and asked the entire band and the assistant engineers to try them. They were ALL blown away, and then I took the 500’s to a jazz session in NYC."

=p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back