I need new headphones!
Nov 6, 2005 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Ploop

Head-Fier
Sorry for the bland topic name, but it seemed to fit.

Alright, I am looking for a new IEM (thats the canalphones right?)

I have the Shure E2C's, and theyre really nice (a little weak on the bass side) But they are starting to break. (only after 5 1/2 months!)

My max price is probably about 70 bucks (USD).

I'm looking at:

Sharp MD33S
Panasonic RP-HJE50
Sony MDR81LP (had the 51's before).

I really like bass.

I have an iaudio X5. No amp. not planning on getting one either (sorry!)

Nov 6, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 14
They recently lowered the price of the Etymotic er6i to 79.99.
By far the best of the bunch.

edit:I hear the Pannys are garbage and the rest of the models are just leagues below teh Etys or the Shures-im surprised those are the models youre considering after having purchased quality IEMS.

Nov 6, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 14
I pretty sure that Shure e2c sounds a lot better than those IEM you listed above. Can you send the E2c back to Shure, and I pretty sure they will replace with a new e2c. E2c comes with 2 years warrantee.

Nov 6, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #4 of 14
well theirs not much of a selection, its either Sonys for 30 or shures for 100.

i know they'll replace it...its just..well...I dunno. Maybe i should do that. Its just theyre starting to get uglier and uglier looking at all these new headphones.

the etys...hmmm. are they durable?

How about:

the UE super.fi 3's?

Nov 6, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 14
Having a pair of Etys... they scream "I will break if you don't store me properly." They are pretty light and the wire is pretty thin (at least to me). I've never had a problem or worried about them getting trashed since I make sure to take good care of my 'phones when they're not in use. I've heard the Etys can survive a good man-handle though. For the most part, I use my Shures whenever I'm out (for this season at least) since the cable won't get molested on accident should it get caught when zipping up my jacket. Not to mention, I can't hear jack whenever I have my Etys on with the tri-flange sleeves so it doesn't make a good companion for my biking around school next to cars, but you can see a desirable feature right there. ^_-

Nov 6, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ploop

I'm looking at:

Sharp MD33S
Panasonic RP-HJE50
Sony MDR81LP (had the 51's before).

I really like bass.

If you like bass I think the Sony’s are the best for you. If you are going fore some Sony’s I would recommend the MDR-EX71, the 81’s cable is decomposing after some time, don’t really know why, but it is experienced by most of the 81 owners.

I personally think that the sony’s have too much bass, so I chose the md33/ep630, but they are both good IEM’s.

But none of those you have listed will have the same sound quality as the e2c

Nov 6, 2005 at 2:21 AM Post #7 of 14
Don't even mention the Sony MDR-EX71s. I use my canalphones from when I wake up till I go to bed (actually I fall asleep listening most of the times so they stay in my ears overnight sometimes). The EX71s lasted me a few months which included a good 3 week trip to Europe. Unfortunatly for some reason I got a tiny crack. My first reaction was "z0mg electrical tape, NOW!" Not too long after I got another crack on the opposite plug wire... then another... then the wire started to just break off (I wore the under my shirt down my back because of the behind-the-head setup). My EX71s still work but have about 10% of the sheath stripped on the wires to each 'phone.

As for the sound, if you're just looking for some bass, they can do the job for you, but just watch out for the quality of the bass - it can get really nasty if you have LQ audio.

I think it's a good value if you manage to keep them from falling apart.

Nov 6, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwiclx

Unfortunatly for some reason I got a tiny crack. My first reaction was "z0mg electrical tape, NOW!" Not too long after I got another crack on the opposite plug wire... then another... then the wire started to just break off

It seems to be the same problem with all the Sony IEM’s, then.

So the conclusion must bee, don’t get Sony’s

Nov 6, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #9 of 14
Send the E2cs back under warranty. When you get the new pair sell them unopened (here or ebay) and get a different pair.

Actually the E2c have a good bit of bass (not very clean though) so if you thought they were bass shy be careful what ones you buy. You budget is going to be you limiting factor so I figure $70 + $50 for selling your new E2cs = $120.

Keeping true to the head-fi spirit I am going to recommend something out of your budget. But if you don’t mind used gear you have a few more options. Super.fi EB have loads of bass. Lots of bass comes at the price of losing some detail. The bass is also not as controlled as the super.fi pro. I would recommend the pro even for bass heads because of the cleaner bass......some people want over kill. If that someone is you look at the super.fi EB

Nov 6, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #10 of 14
Well, i was thinking about getting the EB's, except what if they break? I've broken (this is the 4th) 4 pairs of headphones in less then a year. Some i don't even now how (i took them off my head, then put them on again, and boom their dead).

I just can't see myself spending the money when they are giong to break 4 months later. I would if they lasted forever. I try to keep them nice, nothing out of the ordinary, i wrap them up and put them in my pocket, and 5 months later they brake.

But thanks for the advice. I am going to send back the E2C's and buy some E2G's. They go better with my MP3 player (black on black).

Anyone have E2G's?

Nov 6, 2005 at 5:00 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ploop
i wrap them up and put them in my pocket, and 5 months later they brake.

if you mean you wrap them around your player, that is probably the culprit.

Nov 6, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #13 of 14
The Sharps and Panys are the only ones worth buying from the list. The Sonys cords rip up within a few months. I have a friend which had two pairs and both have ripped up cords. Although if you spend a little bit more money, you can get better canalphones, such as Westone UM1s or Ety ER-6is. Although if you want bass on the Etys, amp is definitely recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back