I need new artists :)
Dec 17, 2007 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Thijs

New Head-Fier
There have been many of these threads I guess, but can you advice me some artists to listen to (is that English :S)
I listen alot to the same artist (nearly all the time I don't talk :p), mainly Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, The Who, Bob Dylan, Eagles, Porcupine Tree, Racoon, Led Zeppelin, Muse, Modest Mouse, Jimi Hendrix (Experiment) and Deep Purple.
Some artists I like but don't listen very much: Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits, Alan Parsons Project, Battles, Green Day, Snow Patrol, Aerosmith and Maximo Park.
I wouldlike advice about artists that sound a bit like my current music, esp heavy metal is not enough explored I think, but I also know very little artist from old and new rock
And that last sentence is definitely no English, but I hope you understand it
biggrin.gif

Oh, that was the first part, I also would like some (easy) intro into a few interesting genres; classical, jazz and blues.
And last, I have not 1 song in my collection that is sung by a woman (some duets exepted), some nice voices (I don't mean Anastacia with that
cool.gif
) to start with would be nice too.
Well, that's enough for now I guess, I hope you want to help me
rolleyes.gif

Dec 17, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 19
Dec 17, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 19
Some of the popular easy to get into rock/metal albums

Metallica - Master of Puppets, Ride the lightning, Black album
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power, Far Beyond Driven
Dream Theater - Awake, Train Of Thought, Images and Words
Slayer - Reign In Blood
Tool - Undertow, Aenima, Lateralus
System Of a Down - Toxicity
Savatage - Dead Winter Dead
Iced Earth - Horror Show, Something Wicked, Dark Saga
Pearl Jam - Ten, Yield, Vs
Opeth - Ghost Reveries, Blackwater Park, Damnation, Deliverance
Lacuna Coil - Comalies
Katatonia - Great Cold Distance
Kamelot - The Black Halo
Incubus - Science
Godsmack - Awake, Godsmack
Guns N Roses - Appetite For Destruction

Based on your music interests some of the other bands you should try out are Radiohead, Muse, Dave Matthews Band, Black Crowes, Whitesnake, Neil Young, Cream, Gov't Mule, CCR, Steve Miller Band, The Doors

As for female vox...try Enya, Diana krall, Sarah Mclahlan, Zero 7, Portishead, Morcheeba (Each of them being a different genre...well almost)

Dec 18, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

I listen alot to the same artist (nearly all the time I don't talk :p), mainly Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, The Who, Bob Dylan, Eagles, Porcupine Tree, Racoon, Led Zeppelin, Muse, Modest Mouse, Jimi Hendrix (Experiment) and Deep Purple.

Modest Mouse seems a little out of place in that list, but they have gotten very popular. Might check out some possible influences along the way like the Pixies Doolittle or Talking Heads More Songs About Buildings and Food or Devo Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo! or Built To Spill Perfect From Now On or Peter Gabriel III: Melt. The more recent Ugly Casanova record with Brock at the helm was very good. Teams up guys from Black Heart Procession and Holopaw and Califone.

Another new one with maybe a mix of Dylan and Springsteen and Paul Simon is the Josh Ritter Historical Conquests. Very good, as is the more acoustic Animal Years from last year featuring the great production of Brian Deck of Califone, and he also recorded/produced the Modest Mouse Moon and Antarctica.

A heavier one from the early 90s that I keep going back to is The Chief Assassin to the Sinister by Three Mile Pilot, who later branched off to form the Black Heart Procession and Pinback.

But there's so much, best just to read posts and sample stuff and learn what people have similar tastes. You really can't tell all that much about how something will ultimately effect you by a few samples, although I know soe here disagree. I tend to trust some people that have lived with a record over the years, and still love it, more than I trust my own first impressions after a few quick samples. But everyone has their own way.

Dec 19, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #6 of 19
It appears that you like some of the more complex, progressive forms of rock and metal.
With that said, im listing here what I consider some staples for someone in your position:

1) Porcupine Tree-"In Absentia"
2) TOOL-"Aenima"
3) Dredg-"Leitmotif"
4) Opeth-"Blackwater Park"
5) Cave-In-"Jupiter"
6) Radiohead-"OK Computer" and "Kid A"
7) The Mars Volta-"De-Loused in the Comatorium"
8) ISIS-"Panopticon"
9) Katatonia-"The Great Cold Distance"
10) Sigur Ros-"Agaetis Byrjun"

Dec 19, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #7 of 19
The picks from modern times are great, but the old stuff isn't bad either. Since you like Pink Floyd, you could get into the "classic prog" artists: King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, etc.

For jazz, nothing better than Miles Davis' Kind of Blue.

Dec 19, 2007 at 10:55 AM Post #8 of 19
Wow nice response, thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I have not time to buy CD's today, I'll post tomorrow what I think of your recommendations.
More is always better, so if you have something I should listen, always appreciated. (although this seems anough for a few days
smily_headphones1.gif
)
Oh, pandora doesn't work, I'm from Holland.

Dec 20, 2007 at 8:29 AM Post #9 of 19
I find myself posting this everywhere in this section because no one else ever really mentions it despite being an awesome cd and my absolute favorite music to chill to-

Incubus - "A Crow Left of the Murder"

Dec 21, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #10 of 19
Wow, the 2 local CD-shops REALY suck
confused.gif

Only bought A Selection Of Some Of His Most Influentual Work by miles Davis, it was cheap, and I think it could be a nice introduction.
The rest was not in stock, and reserving/reservating (asking to buy a CD because they don't have it
wink.gif
) takes a week at least.
It sounds good anyways, makes me happy
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyone knows an online store that accepts paypal?

Dec 22, 2007 at 11:52 AM Post #12 of 19
Ah thanks, I thought they didn't, but they do
smily_headphones1.gif

It seems that they don't sell "audiophile" CD's (I'm not an audiophile, but I like to know that people have tried to make my CD sounding very good, esp after a "Live After Death" remaster, that was just one big noise, awful), but I can live with that.
Any recommendations for more Miles Davis-like jazz? (Is he easy-listening-mainstream or brilliant? (or both?))
And classical?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back