I need help picking out the right set of headphones. Got BOSE QC2 but may return.
Mar 15, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
I would highly recommend either the Grado SR-325i or the Alessandro Grado MS-2i/MS-2. I believe someone here has a pair of SR-325is already modded with circumaural (much more comfortable, bass improving, soundstage-widening) pads, for sale in the trades forum. You may not want a used pair, but in case you haven't already heard, already burned in headphones tend to sound much better, especially in the case of sets like Grados, which many find to have harsh highs at first. If you want a headphone and amp, I'd probably recommend buying a used pair of SR-225s/new pair of SR-125s, and then checking out some amp options. Many say extremely good things about the synergy of Grados and Millett hybrid-style amps, though I personally have never heard one myself. Another option for your three hundred bucks would be going to Headroom or a couple other vendors online and pre-ordering a pair of AKG K701s, which is the set I'm currently waiting on, but that would leave you amp-less, and they could take awhile. Also, many say Grados are a bit better for rock, which you will be listening to some of, and I probably wouldn't be purchasing the AKGs if I didn't already have my Grado SR-125s. So in summary, these are the things I recommend checking into:

Grado SR-225
Grado SR-325i/Alessandro Music Series Two
AKG K701
Millett Hybrid amp

Thanx for all the info. I am going to Sam Ash tomorrow (was supposed to go today but my son is a little sick) to try all of these suggestions out (pending they have the headphones in stock). Right now, the DT 880's are frontrunners for my money. I hope I like them after I done all this research (I can't lie, the research is fun though lol).

I want to try the Senns, Grados, 701's, and Beyer's when I go.

Mar 15, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #32 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Connectz
Thanx for breaking it down for me. I think I will get the 880's and then buy an amp in a month or two (of course after research lol, I like the smooth, warm, analog sound of a tube amp). I can hold out till then.

This would work better for me in that I was going to purchase a high end audio reciever/amp this summer before I got my Big screen. If I just get a great heaphone set-up, I can skip the stereo system and save lots of dough.

Because you mention wanting the smooth warm analog sound of a tube amp here, I don't think the Beyers are going to be what you want. They are rather cold, somewhat analytical, and you're just going to end up going overboard with a sloshy tube amp (and losing detail) to compensate for the fact that they are what they are.

If you're looking for warmth in the first place, might I suggest the HD600? Should be available under $300 easy in most places. The HD650 is a touch bassier, but don't think it's a Bose kind of bass. The 650 does bassy right.

I too would also reccomend giving a few pairs of Grado a whirl. They're sort of "love em or hate em" but most people around here (myself included) love them.

Mar 15, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Because you mention wanting the smooth warm analog sound of a tube amp here, I don't think the Beyers are going to be what you want. They are rather cold, somewhat analytical, and you're just going to end up going overboard with a sloshy tube amp (and losing detail) to compensate for the fact that they are what they are.

If you're looking for warmth in the first place, might I suggest the HD600? Should be available under $300 easy in most places. The HD650 is a touch bassier, but don't think it's a Bose kind of bass. The 650 does bassy right.

I too would also reccomend giving a few pairs of Grado a whirl. They're sort of "love em or hate em" but most people around here (myself included) love them.

Okay, I have ben reading these threads all day yesterday and today and now have some new questions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, say I choose the DT 880's. Which should I get? From what I have read, they just Beyer released an updated version. So my question is, which is better, the old ones or the new ones?

Also, I am having trouble locating places to demo these choices I have. And driving all the way to New York is a bit much just to get some headphones (but knowing me i'll probably end up doing that if necessary. I'm about 2.5 hrs away from NYC).

So my question is, where are the places I can go to demo these "cans" as you all call them? I called Sam Ash and the only ones on my list they have in stock ar the HD 595's. Another place closer to me (Stereo Waves) can get me Grado 325i's but he too has to order them first. I really want to try any of these choices before I make the same mistake I did with the BOSE garbage.

Mar 15, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

I really want to try any of these choices before I make the same mistake I did with the BOSE garbage.

I wouldn't worry about that. You could choose one without listening to any of them and it still would be much better than going with BLOSE.
tongue.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #35 of 37
Do you have a Guitar Center nearby? You should be able to try a DT-770 and Ultrasone 650s which are both nice closed cans in your price range. Keep in mind that almost all Beyers (DT770/880/990) need an amp and there is currently a model switchover so pricing has a huge gap between old and new (for example the old DT990 is ~$170, the new one $275). I liked the Ultrasone when I demo'd it - but it was amped, so I don't know if you need one. I was unimpressed with the Beyers, and up until listening to them from all the reports here I was POSITIVE they were the right ones for me. Whatever you buy make sure to have a good return policy because we all hear differently and like different things
basshead.gif

I'd look at all the usual suspects you see named here like the HD-5xx and HD600, K701, A900, etc. read as much as you can and cross your fingers
icon10.gif
Better yet - see if there is a meet or a head-fier in your area so you can try some out. That was how I decided on which can I wanted.

I have the Grado SR325i - they are impressive sonically and don't need an amp (although it gives a little bit more if you do) but I haven't gamed or watched movies with them yet. For music though they are just killer.

There are a lot of reasonably priced ($50-100), small amps you can buy like a Mint or cMoy that should work well if you end up with a headphone that needs them.

Poke around the used forums and www.audiogon.com too.

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #36 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icehawk
Do you have a Guitar Center nearby? You should be able to try a DT-770 and Ultrasone 650s which are both nice closed cans in your price range. Keep in mind that almost all Beyers (DT770/880/990) need an amp and there is currently a model switchover so pricing has a huge gap between old and new (for example the old DT990 is ~$170, the new one $275). I liked the Ultrasone when I demo'd it - but it was amped, so I don't know if you need one. I was unimpressed with the Beyers, and up until listening to them from all the reports here I was POSITIVE they were the right ones for me. Whatever you buy make sure to have a good return policy because we all hear differently and like different things
basshead.gif

I'd look at all the usual suspects you see named here like the HD-5xx and HD600, K701, A900, etc. read as much as you can and cross your fingers
icon10.gif
Better yet - see if there is a meet or a head-fier in your area so you can try some out. That was how I decided on which can I wanted.

I have the Grado SR325i - they are impressive sonically and don't need an amp (although it gives a little bit more if you do) but I haven't gamed or watched movies with them yet. For music though they are just killer.

There are a lot of reasonably priced ($50-100), small amps you can buy like a Mint or cMoy that should work well if you end up with a headphone that needs them.

Poke around the used forums and www.audiogon.com too.

Well, the Guitar Center down the street from me doesn't have any of the ones I mentioned in stock. Niether does Sam Ash or Stereo Waves (an audiophile quality home stereo place). Stereo Waves is the only one that actually sells the Grado 325i's but they have to special order them.

I might have to take that ride to NY if I can't find any specialty audio places closer to me or in Philly.

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #37 of 37
Quote:

Well, the Guitar Center down the street from me doesn't have any of the ones I mentioned in stock. Niether does Sam Ash or Stereo Waves (an audiophile quality home stereo place). Stereo Waves is the only one that actually sells the Grado 325i's but they have to special order them.

I might have to take that ride to NY if I can't find any specialty audio places closer to me or in Philly.

You could always just buy one of the headphones in question and if you don't like em you could sell em here for little loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back