I need help picking out the right set of headphones. Got BOSE QC2 but may return.
Mar 15, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
Take a look at reviews by professionals by clicking here.

Yeah, this is where I just was. According to the reviews found here and the ones found there, I am seriously interested in these:

Sennheiser HD595's

Ultrasone HFI-2200 ULE

Grado SR-200s

Beyerdynamic DT 880's

Of these, which do you think have the best sound? Which would you prefer based upon the uses I need them for?

Mar 15, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Connectz
Yeah, this is where I just was. According to the reviews found here and the ones found there, I am seriously interested in these:

Sennheiser HD595's

Ultrasone HFI-2200 ULE

Grado SR-200s

Beyerdynamic DT 880's

Of these, which do you think have the best sound? Which would you prefer based upon the uses I need them for?

The DT-880s are very highly recommended around here, and I personally hold them in high reguard, and consider them in the same category as the HD-600.

The HD-595 is a different Sennheiser can, you really need to demo them to see if they are to your liking. From what I heard here, I was sure that they were the headphone for me, but after a demo I was left unsatisfied.

I've never heard the Ultrasone HFI-2200 ULE, but have heard a few negatives that kept me away. I once owned a HFI-650, and loved it.

The Grado SR-200 is no longer available, and is nearly impossible to find. The SR-325i is better IMO
smily_headphones1.gif

It would be impossible to say which would be the best sound. Everyone's ears, systems & taste is different.

Mar 15, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Sennheiser HD595's

Ultrasone HFI-2200 ULE

Grado SR-200s

Beyerdynamic DT 880's

Bose QC2 haves good bass impact but lacks quality as per reviews. If you can bear less bass then QC2, but with quality then you may go for DT880. It's just my openion according to my knowledge.

Practically I am using ATH-A500. It's also having huge bass impact but less quality then higher end audiophile cans. Personally I choose Adio technica ATH-A900LTD. Found one from a member of this forum and it's expected to arrive today I think.

I don't know much about another phones, but as per recommendations it looks that Sennheiser HD595's would be better for you also.

Mar 15, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #20 of 37
Man, the more I read around the net and on here, the DT 880's seem to be the ones I will choose. The H595's are in 2nd place right now.

And I will have to tell yall, I love bass. I like my bass in hip hop but with the QC2 it seems like someone clicked the bassboost button to "on". It just seems to much even for hip hop and R&B.

And also, the DT 880's are $299 at Sam Ash. Do they require an Amp?

Mar 15, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Man, the more I read around the net and on here, the DT 880's seem to be the ones I will choose. The H595's are in 2nd place right now.

And I will have to tell yall, I love bass. I like my bass in hip hop but with the QC2 it seems like someone clicked the bassboost button to "on". It just seems to much even for hip hop and R&B.

Do you have equalizer ??? Did you ever tried to control the bass with eq. ? My A500 haves same problem. but I can control it's bass towards my taste anyway. DT880's are good cans also but lacks bass I admit again.

Mar 15, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Do you have equalizer ??? Did you ever tried to control the bass with eq. ? My A500 haves same problem. but I can control it's bass towards my taste anyway. DT880's are good cans also but lacks bass I admit again.

Not really, unless you count the one on my PC lol.

Hey listen, how about the AKG K701's? How do they stack up against the DT 880's and the Senn's? I just did a search and couldn't find much on them.

Mar 15, 2006 at 7:23 AM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Hey ! DT880 is on sale here right now click here.

Thanx bro.

Mar 15, 2006 at 1:31 PM Post #26 of 37
Don't the 880s come with different ohm ratings? If you don't want/have an amp, then you should get the lowest rated one. I could be thinking of another can however.

Mar 15, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

You have to watch out when asking questions around here - there are two things a lot of people assume, even if you directly tell them otherwise:
1. You have an amp, and don't mind connecting your headphones to an amp.
2. You don't mind your headphones being "open" which means they leak a lot of sound in, and a lot of the sound they produce leaks out.

If you look up headphones at headphone.com, for each headphone they usually tell you it's impedence (which tells you whether or not you need an amp) and whether it's an open or closed (aka sealed) style.

For impedence, as long as you're using an iPod or a pc you should be able to use headphones from 0-80 (I didn't seem to have an trouble hearing through the Beyer770-80's with my iPod). Keep in mind that a lot of the reviews you read will be reviews connected to an amp. But the Beyerdynamic 880, which you mentioned, is definitely not within that range - it's impedence is 250.

http://www.headphone.com/products/he...mic-dt-880.php

The sennheiser 595 has an impedence of 50 ohm:
http://www.headphone.com/products/he...ser-hd-595.php

But it (like the 880) may have another problem for you - it's an "Open" headphone. That means that if you're listening to you headphones, everyone else in the room also hears your music. Supposedly "Open" headphones have better sound, but for people like me I don't care - if I wanted to bother everyone else with my music, I'd just buy speakers.

Good luck.

Mar 15, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #28 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
You have to watch out when asking questions around here - there are two things a lot of people assume, even if you directly tell them otherwise:
1. You have an amp, and don't mind connecting your headphones to an amp.
2. You don't mind your headphones being "open" which means they leak a lot of sound in, and a lot of the sound they produce leaks out.

If you look up headphones at headphone.com, for each headphone they usually tell you it's impedence (which tells you whether or not you need an amp) and whether it's an open or closed (aka sealed) style.

For impedence, as long as you're using an iPod or a pc you should be able to use headphones from 0-80 (I didn't seem to have an trouble hearing through the Beyer770-80's with my iPod). Keep in mind that a lot of the reviews you read will be reviews connected to an amp. But the Beyerdynamic 880, which you mentioned, is definitely not within that range - it's impedence is 250.

http://www.headphone.com/products/he...mic-dt-880.php

The sennheiser 595 has an impedence of 50 ohm:
http://www.headphone.com/products/he...ser-hd-595.php

But it (like the 880) may have another problem for you - it's an "Open" headphone. That means that if you're listening to you headphones, everyone else in the room also hears your music. Supposedly "Open" headphones have better sound, but for people like me I don't care - if I wanted to bother everyone else with my music, I'd just buy speakers.

Good luck.

Thanx for breaking it down for me. I think I will get the 880's and then buy an amp in a month or two (of course after research lol, I like the smooth, warm, analog sound of a tube amp). I can hold out till then.

This would work better for me in that I was going to purchase a high end audio reciever/amp this summer before I got my Big screen. If I just get a great heaphone set-up, I can skip the stereo system and save lots of dough.

Mar 15, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Thanx for breaking it down for me. I think I will get the 880's and then buy an amp in a month or two (of course after research lol, I like the smooth, warm, analog sound of a tube amp). I can hold out till then.

This would work better for me in that I was going to purchase a high end audio reciever/amp this summer before I got my Big screen. If I just get a great heaphone set-up, I can skip the stereo system and save lots of dough.

I think you are making a good decision. People tend to overstate the need for an amp on this forum. Yes it will sound better when properly driven from an amp but is not necessary in most cases to get enough volume from them. I can drive my 300ohm Sennheiser HD-650s louder from my ipod than I will ever listen.

Mar 15, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #30 of 37
I would highly recommend either the Grado SR-325i or the Alessandro Grado MS-2i/MS-2. I believe someone here has a pair of SR-325is already modded with circumaural (much more comfortable, bass improving, soundstage-widening) pads, for sale in the trades forum. You may not want a used pair, but in case you haven't already heard, already burned in headphones tend to sound much better, especially in the case of sets like Grados, which many find to have harsh highs at first. If you want a headphone and amp, I'd probably recommend buying a used pair of SR-225s/new pair of SR-125s, and then checking out some amp options. Many say extremely good things about the synergy of Grados and Millett hybrid-style amps, though I personally have never heard one myself. Another option for your three hundred bucks would be going to Headroom or a couple other vendors online and pre-ordering a pair of AKG K701s, which is the set I'm currently waiting on, but that would leave you amp-less, and they could take awhile. Also, many say Grados are a bit better for rock, which you will be listening to some of, and I probably wouldn't be purchasing the AKGs if I didn't already have my Grado SR-125s. So in summary, these are the things I recommend checking into:

Grado SR-225
Grado SR-325i/Alessandro Music Series Two
AKG K701
Millett Hybrid amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back