I need help on getting decent headphones!
Jan 7, 2002 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ShockerMan4x4

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone!

Basically I am looking for a good set of headphones (I do not plan on using an amp) but have a limitied budget. My budget is around $200. I have been suggested many things but never the same item twice. I don't think I want noise cancellation (I like to be able to turn sound low and talk to people). I don't care about the make or brand. In ears would be nice but I will accept any type at this point. I do enjoy good bass and also good treble. This is for my Rio Volt CD/MP3 player and possibly some computer game playing.

Any help is much needed and greatly appreciated!

-ShockerMan4x4

Jan 7, 2002 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 15
It sounds like you want open headphones so you can hear the environment around you. Isolation headphones or closed headphones reduces outside noise and makes it hard to listen to people in general.

I recommend looking into Grados or the lower ends of the Sennheisers because they are easy to drive without a powerful amp. Apparently, a lot of computer gamers seem to like the Senn HD590 or HD570 (stay away from the HD570, its really bright and annoying with computer games). You may want to look into the Senn HD497. I don't which grados would be good to investigate, but they do have an extensive line of headphones below your budget.

Jan 7, 2002 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 15
I just have never heard great things about Grados (unconfortable and not great sound). I actually am looking for closed headphones I think but I thought that the ER6's were even more sealed than most closed headphones.
is htis true?

Jan 7, 2002 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by ShockerMan4x4
I just have never heard great things about Grados (unconfortable and not great sound). I actually am looking for closed headphones I think but I thought that the ER6's were even more sealed than most closed headphones.
is htis true?

Grados are uncomfortable, and the free-rotating drivers and thick, easily twisted cord is annoying. However, Grados sound great, IMO. I prefer Sennheiser (HD580 and HD495) sound to Grado, but Grados do sound good.

Jan 7, 2002 at 6:55 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by ShockerMan4x4
I actually am looking for closed headphones I think but I thought that the ER6's were even more sealed than most closed headphones.
is htis true?

If your requirement is to be able to turn down the volume and talk to people, I'm not sure that the Ety's would work very well for you. With my ER-4, even with zero volume, I always have to remove at least one to carry on a conversation. I'm not sure about the ER-6's though.

Jan 7, 2002 at 6:56 PM Post #6 of 15
I have some grado sr60's. Their comfort level isn't terrible, but it isn't super comfortable either. The sound for music is great, but 3D positioning for pc games could be better. It's also extremely easy to listen to things around you with grados due to ther open design.

Since you're only using an Mp3 cd player and playing pc games i think you're going to get a lot of recommendations that will be overkill. You should be looking at the grado sr60, sony v6/7506, ety er6, senn 495.

Out of these i would recommend the sr60's and the sony v6.

Jan 7, 2002 at 6:59 PM Post #7 of 15
I don't know, but what I have read at ety's website (hard to find the er-6 specs), it only has an isolation rating bewteen 15-20 db depending on the seal. This is more than the average sealed headphone. However, one can still can hear quite a bit with only a 15 db isolation. I use ear muffs, the type for target ranges, in my office and I still can hear the conversations. My ear muffs are rated at 27 db isolation.

Jan 7, 2002 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 15
Grado SR 60's or you could try the Grado SR60's or maybe the Grado SR 60's. They can be driven easily without an amp. The cord is too thick but for 70.00 usd you can't go wrong.

Jan 7, 2002 at 7:10 PM Post #9 of 15
hey the guy says he wants closed and below $200--a few weeks ago everyone would have shouted 'V6'! You ppl must just be bored with making the same recommendation every time
tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 7, 2002 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
v6

You call that shouting?
biggrin.gif

lini

Jan 7, 2002 at 8:15 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

I don't know, but what I have read at ety's website (hard to find the er-6 specs), it only has an isolation rating bewteen 15-20 db depending on the seal. This is more than the average sealed headphone. However, one can still can hear quite a bit with only a 15 db isolation. I use ear muffs, the type for target ranges, in my office and I still can hear the conversations. My ear muffs are rated at 27 db isolation

I own a pair of ER6, and unless the other person has a particularly loud voice, you'll probably have to remove a plug to carry out a conversation with them - which means you'll have to go through the trouble of reinserting them again (which could be a mnor annoyance...)

Not only that but if you happen to be playing music through them,
There is no way another person is going to be able to get your attention short of tapping you or something...

That said out of the all the headphones mentioned in the thread so far the er-6 are probably the best sounding, and your volt should power them fine. I've been very happy with my pair.

And oh yeah, V6!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2002 at 12:57 AM Post #13 of 15
i am not quite sure on how much they are in the USA, but i recommend the HD590s from Sennheiser, they are becoming my favourite headphone with each passing break-in cycle, i can´t get over how people could criticise these, I LOVE THE SENNHEISER HD590!!!

Jan 8, 2002 at 2:26 AM Post #14 of 15
Thank you.

Right now I have a bid for a pair of Sennheiser HD580 Headphones New In Box on Ebay. This was just a reccomendation made personally to me. Not sure if I'm gonna really pursure them tho if the price gets to high. I have heard MANY good things about the V6 I am just skeptical at if they are only around $60 can they really be that good?

Oh and I just bought a Sennheiser DSP PRO New Dolby 2-User HP Amp for real cheap to use while gaming. Do they help on regular music listening as well or should i just keep them plugged into my PC?

Thanks!

Jan 8, 2002 at 3:06 AM Post #15 of 15
I have used the RIO VOLT. It is not the most high quality sound in the world. I doubt if it would drive Sennheiser 580's, so don't get those.

I used the Sony MDR7506's (V6's?) with the Volt no problems. It is sealed, has excellent sound, and is cheap. The Volt can drive these no problems.

I don't recommend Grado's either. I dumped mine.

I don't recommend you get the 580's.

I recommend the V6's for about $60. They are a bargain.

You can also take your Volt to a Radio Shack store and try out their headphones.

RS has some cheap decent closed phones, the Nova71's, for $25 for the Volt. They also have some open cans that are about $30 or $40 ("titanium diaphrams") that sound ok with portables.

There is also the Koss Porta Pro.

580? Too hard to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back