i need help making my hd575's sound good... amp?
Oct 30, 2002 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Regal1975

New Head-Fier
i am running a pair of sennheisser hd575s ive had for a little while, was sure to let them burn in.. seemed to help.. and while they do blow away every other set of headphones ive had, they still arent doing what i want them to do.. i am mainly into hi-end car audio and at this point, im sad to say my headphones cannot match even the clarity of my car audio, and nowhere near the output, though that is to be expected. i really thought that these would make my car sound bad in comparison, but they fail... i do know that they need more power.. i cannot get them even to reasonable listening levels without driving the source unit into clipping, and since i often use them with my computer, which has a crappy sound card as well as with an old panasonic portable, i dont really feel like upgrading everything, im hoping that an amp would be what i need.. my main concern is price.. it can look like anything.. just has to be very clean, available, and CHEAP.. but i do not want to settle for some cheap-o rat shack booster kind of deal.. ive been digging around in here for a while and dont see anythign that would exactly be labeled as cheap to be honest, and the terms being used are lost on me.. if anyone here could suffer through my rant here and help me out i would be very grateful.

thanks

Oct 31, 2002 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 6
I looked around HeadRoom's and Sennheiser USA's site and couldn't find anything on the HD575. Do you know what their impedance measures at? Can you identify their faults a bit more specifically?

And you're right -- cheap isn't a word that's found around here a lot. Your best bet will probably be to have one of the semi-pro DIYers build you an amp if you're looking for something that goes for less than the $120 HeadRoom AirHead.

Someone who knows the HD575, help this man out.

kerely

Oct 31, 2002 at 4:22 AM Post #4 of 6
did some digging around in here and apparently they are a 120 ohm set, same drivers as the 590 supposedly..

as for flaws, mostly apparent problems with the source itself... humming from being overdriven, ive tested and the outputs are often clipping, static... and the speakers really dont have the dynamic detail i am looking for. though i dont think it is the fault of the speaker itself.. they just seem to crap out whenever any low end is asked of them during musical peaks, and the highs just dont sparkle with as much detail as id like, and with my poor sources i cant even eq it to sound like i would like since they are already pushing more than designed.. just going on car audio knowledge, to me it seems they are just underpowered, though im not the least bit familiar with headphones or how they work, so i may be out in left field here.

also, i was looking at some of the hand-built amps out there, and though i couldnt find a direct link to purchase any i did see some pics of some slick looking ones.. the altoid box idea is great, but is it designed for running hi-impedance headphones??

thanks for your help

Nov 2, 2002 at 1:19 PM Post #5 of 6
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back