i need help how to diy bnc cable
Nov 26, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #3 of 10
This is a good topic. Would love to see a BOM with sources part #'s as well as how to properly convert the RCA's to BNC. I always read terminate to 75 ohms, what does that mean (schematic) ?

Nov 26, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #4 of 10
This is simpler than most think in theory, just don't "unlearn" some of the things you've been taught.

1) RCA isn't 75-Ohm, BNC can be. No argument. *There is 50-ohm BNC, know what you're buying.
2) There are lots of good quality and inexpensive coax cables that follow the 75-ohm standard such as G-11, RG-11/U, RG-59, RG-59/U, RG-6, RG-6/U, RG-6/QS, though RG-59/U and RG-6/U are the most common.
3) Unless you have a crimping tool, you really aren't going to make an easy termination.

Now that we have those covered, either consider getting a decent 75-ohm coax cable with a 75-ohm BNC connector or just buy a pre-made or custom made cable from suppliers like MonoPrice.com (from which I've recently bought a 12' BNC-BNC 75-ohm cable that I think is great quality) or perhaps one made by BlueJeansCables.com or Redco.com; both offer custom interconnects.

Nov 26, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I convert every single DAC I ever get my hands on to a BNC jack and unless it's overly painful, I run 75-ohm coax wire to the next-in-line component.

Honestly, most DACs should not use the recovered clock, but a proper interface will allow the DAC to make less mistakes, so why not.

OK so you don't have to add a resistor? And can you add it in parralell to the RCA jack, or does that screw up the impedance?

BTW, Just ordered a 3dt BNC-BNC from redco.com for $16, much cheaper than buying the crimp tool and etc.

Nov 26, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #8 of 10
Fallenangel, I used a Neutrik BNC jack on my buffalo build, but I didn't realize there was such a thing as 75 - ohm wire. I used some Vortex OCC, around 2 inches worth to the Mux. Should I change?

Nov 26, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fallenangel, I used a Neutrik BNC jack on my buffalo build, but I didn't realize there was such a thing as 75 - ohm wire. I used some Vortex OCC, around 2 inches worth to the Mux. Should I change?

there was just a discussion about SPDIF cable length at DiyHIFI. It degenerated till the thread was locked, but there is some info in there about impedance mismatches and cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back