I need expertise....
Jun 25, 2010 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jaxs

New Head-Fier
Iv'e been trying to find good quality portable headphones for a while now, but the biggest problem is that they always stop working within a few months or shorter (shortest time is 3 days). I don't treat my head phones badly, but I think the 2 biggest reasons that they break is:

a) I listen to music ALL THE TIME, I would say that during 75% of the day I have my headphones on

b) a lot of the time I end up falling asleep with my headphones on which could end up tugging and pulling the cord

The reason my headphones break is because the wiring inside the case gets severed/broken (I think most of the time it's the copper wiring that connects the coil to the magnet).

Also, they always seem to break the exact same way:

First, the right headphone suddenly stops working entirely.

1-10 days after that the sound in the left headphone keeps cutting in and out usually requiring me to manipulate the cord until it works again OR I have to twist the headphone jack (much like an old fashion safe lock that you see in the cartoons) until the sound works again.

Then sometime after that (it varies) the sound in both headphones stop working entirely no matter what I do.

So I turned to this site in hopes of suggestions in regards to my problem.

The type of headphones I use the most are clip-on headphones as I find they are the most portable and also if I want I can keep 1 headphone off for convenience. But the problem I have with them is that some of the clip-ons (the part that goes around the ear) cut into my ear, so i'm also looking for comfort.
The ones that I hate using are the earbud headphones as they never stay in my ear.
Other than that, I am open to suggestions.

Sorry for my rant but for the past few years I have had terrible luck when it comes to headphones.
Thank you in advance.

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #4 of 8
I'm probably going to buy 2 pairs of headphones.
I don't want to spent more then 60$ on one pair and no more than 80-100$ for both. Also I live in Canada.
One of the pair that I was looking at was of course Koss KSC75, the other pair i'm hoping to get are full-sized head phones with good isolation and sound quality but I can't really find that many good ones for that price, I was thinking of buying a pair of Skullcandy headphones but everyone here says that they are more for show than for quality. But besides that I once again need help.

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #5 of 8
i was looking at getting the Koss's too. I have read GREAT things about them and the company in general. For 20 bucks... they cant be beat... As for the ful size... im in the same spot... im going to guitar center tonight to try a couple on and see if i can pick someones brain a bit... I have an idea of the ones i am looking for (posted above) but i cant decide out of those.. 

have been reading people rant and rave about the M50's... seams like a solid choice... wanna try them on first.. 

please keep in mind, im new here and dont know squat! ha (just had to let you know so you dont take my word!)
smile.gif

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #6 of 8
If I were you I would get ones with removable cables. That way since you think they fall apart on the speaker end hopfully it will simply pull out before it breaks anything. SRH750-DJ Shures have them I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back