I need consultation about a headphones set I am planning to buy
Mar 29, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #16 of 49
The iPod is fine. It's my bet that after a week you'll probably only use the amp when you're stationary. Lugging around a portable amp to me is almost never worth the benefits it gives you.

My advice on portable has always been just go straight from your player and don't worry with amps. Portable amps are terrible values for what they give you, and they're inconvenient as well. Be simple portable and if you want to build an amped system, build a desktop system, where you can actually get some value.

Mar 29, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #17 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Itamar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a way to convert WAV to apple lossless?

Once you convert it to wav in whatever program you're using (since iTunes doesn't convert FLAC), you can choose to import it to your iTunes in apple lossless.

Mar 29, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #18 of 49
Quote:

Is there a way to convert WAV to apple lossless?

Yes you can do it in iTunes with ease. Look under the 'Advanced' menu to convert already imported WAV files, or set your import settings to ALAC and then import the files.

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #19 of 49
If you are buying expensive headphones you should not ever use an ipod for 4 reasons

-overpriced
-no SD card expansion
-No FLAC support
-they suck?

The cowon s9 is THE BEST mp3 player ever made. There is no debating. However it lacks the good amp inside like the Sansa Fuze does. It really doesnt need an amp to sound great. However the cowon s9 does, both of which support flac. ( flac is the best sounding audio format IMO and most others )

cowon s9 - best EQ you can get, many features, touch screen. Incredibly well built and not easily broken, lacks a good amp inside of it so you need another one. But if you are getting an Ibasso, you'll be very happy

the sansa fuze - amazing amp inside of such a little thing that puts everything else to shame, FLAC support. If rockboxed you get a great EQ. Great battery life and expandable to what ever Micro SD card slot comes out. 32gb just came out.

dont buy the ipod just for space. It's worthless because you now have a giant ipod with lots of space that sounds like pewp and breaks easily.

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #20 of 49
Do you have a recommendation for a desktop amp in a reasonable price (Not more than 300$ ) ?
And.. why do I have to pay so much on the ESW10's if I don't fully enjoy them on the road, when I use them directly from the iPod?

Mar 29, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #21 of 49
I have the iPod 6gen 160gb. I use .wav. I will not use Apple Lossless because once I convert it to Apple's I can not convert it back to .wav. Unlike FLAC that can move back and forth. I refuse to keep all my music in Apple. I need the space and have already used about 2/3 of it. Until someone makes a 500gb DAP, I'll stick with the this iPod. Also, when a 500gb DAP (or even 320gb) does come out, there will be zero reason for anything but .wav when you can put almost 10,000 songs on it.

I have the iBasso D2+ Boa and it's an excellent DAC/amp. If you buy it off the Sales Forum it's a bargin to boot.

Peace,

Mar 29, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #22 of 49
Sounds ok to me, although I think a portable amp in this case is largely unnecessary when considering the source is an ipod and the can in question is ESW10JPN. If you also plan to use a laptop or some other computer source from time to time then the ibasso would be useful as a DAC, but solely for ipod use I'd say an amp is not really worth it for this particular headphone (I am bit biased here though, as I belong to the camp that doesn't really believe that portable amping is worth the trouble). But if you got extra dough to spend around, then hey, why not... it certainly won't make it worse.
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #23 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are buying expensive headphones you should not ever use an ipod for 4 reasons

-overpriced
-no SD card expansion
-No FLAC support
-they suck?

The cowon s9 is THE BEST mp3 player ever made. There is no debating. However it lacks the good amp inside like the Sansa Fuze does. It really doesnt need an amp to sound great. However the cowon s9 does, both of which support flac. ( flac is the best sounding audio format IMO and most others )

cowon s9 - best EQ you can get, many features, touch screen. Incredibly well built and not easily broken, lacks a good amp inside of it so you need another one. But if you are getting an Ibasso, you'll be very happy

the sansa fuze - amazing amp inside of such a little thing that puts everything else to shame, FLAC support. If rockboxed you get a great EQ. Great battery life and expandable to what ever Micro SD card slot comes out. 32gb just came out.

dont buy the ipod just for space. It's worthless because you now have a giant ipod with lots of space that sounds like pewp and breaks easily.

Lossless = Lossless?

I would be happy to hear you nicer sounding FLAC to my TTA and ALAC.
If my iPod really sounds like junk I would not use it.

Mar 29, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #24 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif

-overpriced
-no SD card expansion
-No FLAC support
-they suck?

Wow. Just wow.

Exactly how is a 160gb player inferior to a 16gb player in terms of restriction on memory? How many 32gb SD cards (which are kinda pricy, BTW) would you need to lug around to have enough music?

The current gen iPod classic is a great sounding player. Very flat frequency response. I wish it could be rockboxed. But if you need a high-capacity player that can power most headphones without an amp and has excellent sound quality, it's a great choice.

Sure, iTunes is a pain in the ass. Not a big deal for me, really.

And to the poster who thinks he'll be carrying only .wav files when players get to be higher capacity... what about metadata?

Mar 29, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #25 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the iPod 6gen 160gb. I use .wav. I will not use Apple Lossless because once I convert it to Apple's I can not convert it back to .wav. Unlike FLAC that can move back and forth. I refuse to keep all my music in Apple. I need the space and have already used about 2/3 of it. Until someone makes a 500gb DAP, I'll stick with the this iPod. Also, when a 500gb DAP (or even 320gb) does come out, there will be zero reason for anything but .wav when you can put almost 10,000 songs on it.

I have the iBasso D2+ Boa and it's an excellent DAC/amp. If you buy it off the Sales Forum it's a bargin to boot.

Peace,

Well, its quite easy to have two copies on an external HD, since extermal HD's are quite cheap. Have everything in .wav for archival purposes if you want and then use apple lossless for playing, since DAP HD space IS NOT cheap.

And yes, there would still be reason to not use .wav, because some of us have a lot more than 10,000 songs in our music libraries and it would be nice to have them all. My library is pushing 45,000 songs and growing every tuesday.

Mar 29, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #26 of 49
Quote:

Do you have a recommendation for a desktop amp in a reasonable price (Not more than 300$ ) ?
And.. why do I have to pay so much on the ESW10's if I don't fully enjoy them on the road, when I use them directly from the iPod?

HiFiMan EF-2 is supposed to be pretty good with low impedance headphones, and includes a DAC.

review: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...sb-dac-433150/

you can buy it: Amazon.com: Hifiman Ef2 Usb Headphone Amplifier: Musical Instruments

Mar 29, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #27 of 49
Wow, thanks a lot for your help.
The truth is that I am confused right.
Some of you claim that iPod+ ESW10's is good enough, some of you believe that a portable amp (maybe P3+ ) will prodouce a better sound in spite of the encumbrance of dragging an amp with you.
Some people even wrote that iPod sucks and S9/ Fuze is much better despite of the smaller capacity.
I am thinking about an iPod+iBasso P3+ right now :S ..
BTW, tommyrod74, what is metadata? is it another kind of sound format?
Thanks a lot.

Mar 29, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #28 of 49
I'm planning on an iPod Classic as well. I use Apple Lossless and AIFF on my iPod Touch 2nd Gen right now. I have an ESW9 and they sound great w/o an amp, eventhough I have one of those too.
The sound out of the headphone jack sounds pretty darn good. Really to get that extra bit of fidelity by using the ipod out dock for portable purposes is not really an issue for me. I've done this with my Touch >ipod dock out> LD Mk I +, > esw9... but just the esw9 from the iPod sounds great.
I only use the dock when my iPod is connected to my desk amp, or in my car, or if I am driving higher impedence cans with my portable set up.

Mar 29, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #29 of 49
People on here disagree about things.

Mar 29, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

Wow, thanks a lot for your help.
The truth is that I am confused right.
Some of you claim that iPod+ ESW10's is good enough, some of you believe that a portable amp (maybe P3+ ) will prodouce a better sound in spite of the encumbrance of dragging an amp with you.
Some people even wrote that iPod sucks and S9/ Fuze is much better despite of the smaller capacity.
I am thinking about an iPod+iBasso P3+ right now :S ..
BTW, tommyrod74, what is metadata? is it another kind of sound format?
Thanks a lot.

Don't be confused.
The P3+ is a great little portable amp, but I still say you don't need it for your ESW10s. Great headphones, BTW.
iPod doesn't suck. Sounds pretty great to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back