I need consultation about a headphones set I am planning to buy
Mar 29, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #31 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, its quite easy to have two copies on an external HD, since extermal HD's are quite cheap. Have everything in .wav for archival purposes if you want and then use apple lossless for playing, since DAP HD space IS NOT cheap.

And yes, there would still be reason to not use .wav, because some of us have a lot more than 10,000 songs in our music libraries and it would be nice to have them all. My library is pushing 45,000 songs and growing every tuesday.

Having 45,000 songs in both .wav and Apple Lossless is about 3tb of memory right? Nothing in a DAP even comes close to that size. Or 1/10 that. I would think only mp3 files would be needed to fit that library in a single DAP. I wouldn't want to listen to mp3 files. A DAP with a 1/2tb of memory would accommodate the vast majority of needs for people using .wav files.

I think 45,000 songs is somewhere around 140 days of music? That's one hell of a long flight.
smily_headphones1.gif
Next we need to work on extending battery life.

Peace,

Mar 29, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #32 of 49
One of the best things about this forum is the fact that it's so active.
I love it
biggrin.gif
So, some of you claim that I can give up on the P3+ amp because it's not that significant, not for 200$ anyway.
But then I will have some extra dollars.
Is there anything else that I need?

Mar 29, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having 45,000 songs in both .wav and Apple Lossless is about 3tb of memory right? Nothing in a DAP even comes close to that size. Or 1/10 that. I would think only mp3 files would be needed to fit that library in a single DAP. I wouldn't want to listen to mp3 files. A DAP with a 1/2tb of memory would accommodate the vast majority of needs for people using .wav files.

I think 45,000 songs is somewhere around 140 days of music? That's one hell of a long flight.
smily_headphones1.gif
Next we need to work on extending battery life.

Peace,

I was saying you could have both on your hard drive to your computer, not a DAP. You could fit about 45,000 songs in ALAC if there was a 500 GB DAP, which was what I was responding to, a theoretical 500 GB DAP, where you said there would be no reason not to have everything in .wav.

I like having all my music with me if possible. I never know when the mood will strike that I want to hear something obscure. And doing playlists are kind of a pain with a really big music collection.

Finally, I still have never met a single person who passed double blind testing with 320 kbps .mp3 v. FLAC at a rate that is significantly different from pure guessing.

It's a quite easy challenge to take, because you can convert .mp3 to .wav. Create a CD's worth of songs, half of which are .wav files converted from .mp3 and the other half are .wav files converted from FLAC. Get someone to burn this to CD for you with the songs randomly shuffled. Listen to it. Write down what you think is FLAC and what you think is .mp3. Compare this to the list that your friend has. If you put 20 songs on the CD and get more than 70% of them right, I will be shocked. Most people get between 35% and 65%, which is of course what you would expect from blind guessing.

I don't mean this as a slam against you, I'd be shocked because I have tried this on a lot of people and not a single person has beat 70% yet. This included several people who went on about how they "couldn't stand the sound of .mp3." For one I even had to do it twice, with a witness, because he was sure I was cheating, because he was absolutely certain that he could hear the difference.

Confirmation bias is a powerful force in our brains.

Mar 29, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #34 of 49
It's not that the P3+ is insignificant, but not immediately necessary for your ESW10. Yes, they will improve the sound some, especially since you would use your dock out, but if you are using your rig in true portable fashion, where you walk/run/work out whatever, you don't need the amp...at least right away.
The ESW10 are quite efficient. Just MO.
Good luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #35 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was saying you could have both on your hard drive to your computer, not a DAP. You could fit about 45,000 songs in ALAC if there was a 500 GB DAP, which was what I was responding to, a theoretical 500 GB DAP, where you said there would be no reason not to have everything in .wav.

I like having all my music with me if possible. I never know when the mood will strike that I want to hear something obscure. And doing playlists are kind of a pain with a really big music collection.

Finally, I still have never met a single person who passed double blind testing with 320 kbps .mp3 v. FLAC at a rate that is significantly different from pure guessing.

It's a quite easy challenge to take, because you can convert .mp3 to .wav. Create a CD's worth of songs, half of which are .wav files converted from .mp3 and the other half are .wav files converted from FLAC. Get someone to burn this to CD for you with the songs randomly shuffled. Listen to it. Write down what you think is FLAC and what you think is .mp3. Compare this to the list that your friend has. If you put 20 songs on the CD and get more than 70% of them right, I will be shocked. Most people get between 35% and 65%, which is of course what you would expect from blind guessing.

I don't mean this as a slam against you, I'd be shocked because I have tried this on a lot of people and not a single person has beat 70% yet. This included several people who went on about how they "couldn't stand the sound of .mp3." For one I even had to do it twice, with a witness, because he was sure I was cheating, because he was absolutely certain that he could hear the difference.

Confirmation bias is a powerful force in our brains.

If I were to accept that it would be difficult if not impossible to hear the difference between 320 mp3 files and lossless files, I'd still would have a want to have my primary files in either .wav or FLAC. I'm just not willing to to keep mp3 as my only record. Especially since I have five copies of every file (the cd, the one my computer, the Click Free, the external drive and my iPod). That means having to duplicate every file. Again. Data storage will continue to become only cheaper. There will eventually be a 500gb DAP. The need for lossy or compressed files (at least with music) will become obsolete. If I'm not mistaken, the only way to fit 45,000 files in 320mp3 would be with at least a 160gb DAP.

If my iPod could support FLAC, I'd have everything in that. Since I can't Rockbox it yet, I'm stuck with .wav. For now.

Peace,

Mar 30, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #36 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I were to accept that it would be difficult if not impossible to hear the difference between 320 mp3 files and lossless files, I'd still would have a want to have my primary files in either .wav or FLAC. I'm just not willing to to keep mp3 as my only record. Especially since I have five copies of every file (the cd, the one my computer, the Click Free, the external drive and my iPod). That means having to duplicate every file. Again. Data storage will continue to become only cheaper. There will eventually be a 500gb DAP. The need for lossy or compressed files (at least with music) will become obsolete. If I'm not mistaken, the only way to fit 45,000 files in 320mp3 would be with at least a 160gb DAP.

If my iPod could support FLAC, I'd have everything in that. Since I can't Rockbox it yet, I'm stuck with .wav. For now.

Peace,

That is exactly why I was saying that you could store your super backup .wav copy on your computer's hard drive and then have lossy on your player.

I also am not so sure that DAP's are actually going to get anywhere near 500 GB any time soon. They've been at the same size for quite a while now. We will actually likely have to wait until we get a 500 GB flash player, which is at least several years off, considering we don't even have 500 GB SSD hard drives in computers yet.

Mar 30, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #37 of 49
Well.. I read a little bit about the ESW10 and now I understand that they are really good even without an amp (even though amp will help).
Any good words about them before I decide? :p

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #38 of 49
Sorry for the double post.
I just saw the Pico Slim for the first time and it actually looks really good.
I am not sure I got the money for it right now but it might fit the ESW10.
What do you think?

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Itamar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello.
This is my plan:
- Audio Technica ATH-ESW10 Headphones
- 160GB iPod Classic.
- iBasso P3+ portable amp
- iBasso CB07-iPod Line Out Cable

What do you think? how is this combination?
I got more questions for you because I am newb but first I would like to hear your opinion.
BTW- sorry for the bad english.. it's not my native language and it's very late in the night here in my country (Israel).
Thanks, Itamar.

Where are you buying the ESW-10? I believe that is a model out of production. The ES-10 is the current model.

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #40 of 49
ESW10JPN is a limited model, but there's still a few to be found here and there. ES10 is currently in production, but from reports (there aren't too many, apparently most of them are from the Chinese forums) it has a very different sound signature. It's a very different headphone after all, different cups, metal rather than urushi treated black cherry wood and different 50mm drivers. If the ESW10 is what he wants, then why would he want the ES10? The ESW10JPN is excellent, at any rate.

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #42 of 49
Like you said, you've already read that the ESW10 is efficient and sounds great without an amp. So instead of worrying about an amp right now (especially one you're not sure you can afford), why don't you just get the ESW10 and see if you like the sound straight out of the iPod? Chances are, you will; and if you still want an amp, you can then focus on researching and purchasing one later down the road.

Last words before you decide: good luck!

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #43 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Itamar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can convert FLAC into WAV, do I?
When I filled my sister's iPod Nano with songs, I downloaded them in FLAC and converted them to WAV to add them to iTunes.

You can, but it is highly recommended that you don't. When you convert to WAV, you LOSE all of your tags and album art. Because itunes uses it's own tags, those will be lost if you transfer them to a different player as well. I have a massive collection of music in FLAC so sitting down and re-tagging them would be a nightmare.

Use ALACs instead of WAVs if you have to use an ipod. If you can get a different player, use FLACs. Both are much better than WAVs since you can save a fair amount of space and embed images, info into them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back