I need an R2R or Multibit DAC suggestion that ABSOLUTELY WILL connect to MacOS (so, not a Schiit DAC)
Jul 28, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #16 of 37
Would it be? Really? It’s a Google search away. Seriously. Not hard to find, and posting them does literally zero to help me get it fixed.

At this point, I’m just looking for an alternative so I never have to deal with this exact problem again. I’m leaning toward EF-600 or RU-7 with a line out since I have an RU-6 and the only thing lacking is the amplifier for my full sized headphones (and the line out). With a line out, I can listen on desktop with my desktop amp.

Jul 28, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #17 of 37
My Bifrost2 has worked flawlessly with 5 different Macs (2017 iMac, 2016 MBP, 2019 MBP, 2021 MBP, 2021 M1 MBA) across macOS versions from Catalina through Ventura.

I know it stinks, but the problem is your Bifrost unit, not Schiit DACs in general. And, you've got the guy who literally started the company here offering to help, so if it was me I'd gladly take him up on that.
Again, “It works for me” isn’t helpful. The best way for me to avoid this is to avoid Schiit. If I buy another Schiit product and it fails the same way, I’m going to feel terrible and I’m absolutely positive I’ll get “It’s your fault for buying another product from them” replies.

Jul 28, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #18 of 37
I noticed that you already have a thread where you posted about this issue. Last time you mentioned a MacBook Air. What I suggest to people who are posting about computer issues is: Explain the full, original issue, including information about all the software and hardware, rather than asking about what you think is the solution. :)
This was the suggested solution on Schiit’s site: check with a different Mac, check with a different port, check port power settings, change USB cable, try shorter USB cable.

All of those were done. No change. I’ve used several different versions of MacOS between both computers (2014 iMac and 2022 MacBook Air M2). I’ve tried different ports. I’ve tried powered port expanders and straight from the computers.

If it’s dead, okay. I got about ten years out of it. Maybe that’s the acceptable standard now (yet we have vintage 70s equipment still running, but okay)… My biggest concern is that I’ll get another failure for an expensive (to me) piece of gear. I’m making six figures, but I live in SoCal, so…

The one thing I can note is that I’ve moved across the country several times with it. In each instance, I made sure the gear was protected from cold and heat. I’ve packed it in a protected box. It didn’t stop working immediately after a move, but it did start giving me trouble after a MacOS upgrade. That said, I don’t want to fall prey to a “post hoc, ergo propter hoc” fallacy.

Jul 28, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #19 of 37
“I’ve never had an issue” is probably the most frustrating response of all time to any tech question. “I’ve never had a problem” does zero to help diagnose or fix an issue.

I was a huge Schiit fan, and prior to this, I had no issues either, but now it’s happened for two Macs. It’s either the DAC or a firmware or update issue. Thing is, I KNOW I’m not alone because when I look for the issue online, I find other people having problems getting Macs to work with Schiit DACs (which should never happen anyway). Windows? Sure. The twelve year old next door is likely building hardware and/or software for Windows. Macs are closed systems with limited hardware and software iterations.
Yes it is frustrating which is why I first asked for more context, specifics, etc.

Jul 28, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #20 of 37
This was the suggested solution on Schiit’s site: check with a different Mac, check with a different port, check port power settings, change USB cable, try shorter USB cable.

All of those were done. No change. I’ve used several different versions of MacOS between both computers (2014 iMac and 2022 MacBook Air M2). I’ve tried different ports. I’ve tried powered port expanders and straight from the computers.

If it’s dead, okay. I got about ten years out of it. Maybe that’s the acceptable standard now (yet we have vintage 70s equipment still running, but okay)… My biggest concern is that I’ll get another failure for an expensive (to me) piece of gear. I’m making six figures, but I live in SoCal, so…

The one thing I can note is that I’ve moved across the country several times with it. In each instance, I made sure the gear was protected from cold and heat. I’ve packed it in a protected box. It didn’t stop working immediately after a move, but it did start giving me trouble after a MacOS upgrade. That said, I don’t want to fall prey to a “post hoc, ergo propter hoc” fallacy.
The new Unison USB is completely different from the old Schiit USB, if that's any consolation.

Jul 30, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #22 of 37
I highly recommend the Denafrips Ares 2 (ENYO) or the Ares 12 anniversary model depending on if you need the

I²S x 1connection or not. Tons of excellent reviews.

https://www.denafrips.com/enyo

Aug 1, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #23 of 37
The new Unison USB is completely different from the old Schiit USB, if that's any consolation.
It is. I'd hope I could get ten years out of the next DAC if I got one from Schiit. I know things change and evolve, and I was just so damned impressed with my BIMBY that I'm torn.

I'm not a very tech-savvy person. I joke with my coworkers because more often than not, I run into totally strange issues with tech that no one can understand how to fix right away or how I got that problem. Basically, I get a lot of "Well, that should work."

I've completely abandoned any Bluetooth products from Chi-Fi manufacturers for this reason, too. Constant connection issues have plagued every product I've ever gotten from them. There are durability issues, too, but that's more understandable to me than a complete failure in the basic feature of the device from the very beginning.

I liked Schiit because the stuff I got from them seemed to "just work" with my Macs.

Aug 1, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #24 of 37
Would a streamer solve my problem? I’ve been contemplating one.

Aug 1, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #25 of 37
It sounds like the USB interface on the Bifrost is going bad so a streamer may not fix your problem. Have you tried giving it to a friend to test on a Windows machine?

Aug 4, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #26 of 37
Upon some time to reflect, I’m probably being way too hard on Schiit here. I got the BIMBY shortly after it released and it’s been through seven or eight moves. Stuff breaks. I got nearly eight years out of it.

Can someone please just verify the newest Bifrost 2 works well with M2 Macs? Also, do I need a Wyrd with the Bifrost 2 (2/64)? I have one, but if Unisyn is really good, I probably don’t need it.

Aug 4, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #27 of 37
Would a streamer solve my problem? I’ve been contemplating one.
If you have issues with computers, avoid streamers for sure.
Can someone please just verify the newest Bifrost 2 works well with M2 Macs? Also, do I need a Wyrd with the Bifrost 2 (2/64)? I have one, but if Unisyn is really good, I probably don’t need it.
I'm using the previous Bifrost 2, which uses the same Unison USB as the latest one, with a few different Macs that I have here, and it works fine.

I’d say though that, as you already know, the issue is that the USB in your old Bifrost has failed, and an upgrade should fix things.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #28 of 37
If you have issues with computers, avoid streamers for sure.

I'm using the previous Bifrost 2, which uses the same Unison USB as the latest one, with a few different Macs that I have here, and it works fine.

I’d say though that, as you already know, the issue is that the USB in your old Bifrost has failed, and an upgrade should fix things.
Are streamers as much of a problem with a Mac and AirPlay? For the most part, that works for me. Something like HQ Player’s settings might be a steep learning curve, tho.

Aug 5, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #29 of 37
Are streamers as much of a problem with a Mac and AirPlay? For the most part, that works for me. Something like HQ Player’s settings might be a steep learning curve, tho.
Well Airplay only does 24/48Khz I guess. So for true lossless I would rather use Roon RAAT, UPnP or HQplayer's NAA. A good streamer will have all along with Tidal connect and Spotify Connect.

Aug 5, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #30 of 37
Well Airplay only does 24/48Khz I guess. So for true lossless I would rather use Roon RAAT, UPnP or HQplayer's NAA. A good streamer will have all along with Tidal connect and Spotify Connect.
Would consider Arce. Most of what I listen to on Apple Music Lossless isn’t higher than 24/48khz, is it?

I’ve looked for music I like in native DSD and it’s a desert of genres I don’t generally like.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back