i need an external volume pot
Aug 8, 2008 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TheAnomaly

500+ Head-Fier
...for use with my computer setup. i'm currently using the volume up/down controls on my keyboard...bad i know...something about bit rate reduction? can someone explain this to me? i googled for info on it but couldn't find what i was looking for.

anyway, the impetus for this upgrade is a potential keyboard purchase which probably will not have volume controls, along with the realization that my current setup is rudimentary at best. basically i just need something with a (passive?) volume pot to control my volume level. the setup will go like this:

motherboard coax output -> DAC -> RCA to volume pot -> RCA to XLR to the BM5a

one contender i've found is this thing by NHT: NHT - PVC - PC - Passive Volume Control-Audio Advisor

it would probably be adequate, but i'm just wondering if there's anything cheaper that would function in a similar fashion. i'd like to spend $50-75 is possible...

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 12
There are tons of in-line volume controls out there. nearly every headphone company makes one (Senn, Shure, Koss, etc, even RadioShack). Most are built with 1/8" jack/plug, so you would need adapters if your gear uses RCAs.

There are higher-end options like a passive pre-amp, but that's more expensive.

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 12
Which audio software are you using? The digital volume control is only a problem with some software. If you leave the OS volume at 100% and slide the digital volume in a good software player, the quality is essentially unaffected.
Check out this site for some good info:
Computer Audio Playback - Setup Guide - Benchmark
Assuming you're using windows, DO NOT use digital volume control with these players as they cause distortion:
Winamp
Windows media
Realplayer

DO use digital volume with iTunes 7.X or Foobar though. The implementations are such that they don't cause significant distortion. Then you don't have to worry about adding more junk in the analog signal path.

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #4 of 12
when i talk about the volume control i mean the windows master volume. my keyboard controls that slider and i need something which can adjust the overall sound output from the computer.

i use the newest iTunes for audio playback and have its slider maxed. i do need a separate volume pot though for when i play games and such, for on the fly volume adjustments while maximized.

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 12
In fact you should do the opposite, leave windows volume maxed and use iTunes to control it. I don't know if you can configure your keyboard to controle other thing than windows volume slider, but if you can just do it. If you have another software for your soundcard you should max iTunes and windows and use your soundcard software to control the volume. That's what i do with my Emu1212m and i think it does the best job all around. Also use Foobar for best result. Good luck

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 12
I spent a while asking and looking around for a passive preamplifier and didn't find any acceptable solutions, though balanced input/output was one of my requirements. One respectable member of another audio forum (I think it was Gearslutz) found that SMPro's attenuators very audibly affected the sound by collapsing the image and rolling off the frequency extremes.

Aug 11, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #8 of 12
For a short time I used 24bit volume control on the source before my DAC, but it wasn't so good. Maybe I was trying to attenuate too much but I had a loss of dynamic range, and of course it reduced the signal to noise ratio from the DAC. I decided to go for a passive-preamp and I am more than happy with my (discontinued) Creek OBH-12. The Creek passive-preamps are well known for their transparency.

Aug 12, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spent a while asking and looking around for a passive preamplifier and didn't find any acceptable solutions, though balanced input/output was one of my requirements. One respectable member of another audio forum (I think it was Gearslutz) found that SMPro's attenuators very audibly affected the sound by collapsing the image and rolling off the frequency extremes.

ah, good to know. the cheaper alternative was attractive to me but perhaps not any longer.

Aug 12, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #10 of 12
I use the Nanopatch for my Genelecs monitors and Senn HD580s.

It may or may not affect the sq when using my Genelecs, but they still sound incredible using my Cambridge 840c as a source.

With the HD580s and Arietta amp, the Nanopatch allows me to use the balanced outs of my 840c to my Arietta. The Arietta has rca inputs so I use an rca cable with trs adaptors plugged into the trs outputs of the Nanopatch.

This sounds noticeably better then using an xlr to rca cable straight from the 840c to the Arietta. This maybe because my xlr to rca cable sucked, or that I'm now using all the headroom of the Arietta amp, maxing the volume on the amp and using the Nanopatch as the volume control.

Aug 13, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #11 of 12
There's this thing I've seen a bunch of times that's basically just a knob you can plug in via USB and configure to control a bunch of things. Wish I remembered what it's called, as it looks like it'll work for you.

I use the zoom rocker on my VX Revolution to control Windows volume though.

Aug 15, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's this thing I've seen a bunch of times that's basically just a knob you can plug in via USB and configure to control a bunch of things. Wish I remembered what it's called, as it looks like it'll work for you.

I use the zoom rocker on my VX Revolution to control Windows volume though.

The 'thing' is made by Griffin Technologies. I had/have one but as it only controls Windows volume I no longer use it. It won't give you the best sound, but if you still want to try one, send me a PM.

Roger Modjelski of Music Reference makes a simple 'Pot in a Box' that is pretty transparent and cheap as passives go. He sells a kit (you provide a box and solder/iron) for $85.

Passive Preamps and Kits

t

Users who are viewing this thread

Back