I need advice! I've owned: DT990, AKG K701, tried: DT880, WTB: HD600 or 650
Feb 11, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by southpark2033 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello I need some advice based on your experiences witth this gear:

My Setup:
I am using an iPod Classic 160GB with Apple Lossless files (Converted from FLAC)
I purchased a Prelude Audio portable amp (runs on two 9V)
I run the iPod through the mini stereo jack into the amp, then to my headphones.
I know the iPod doesn't really cut it as a scource. It has limited EQ capabilities, and is a consumer-grade device, but I really want this to work.

Music I listen to:
Classic Rock (Zep/Floyd)
Alternative (Radiohead/Mars Volta)
Metal (Tool/SOAD)
Electronica (Daft Punk/Venetian Snares)

So far I loved the bass of the DT 990's (pre-'05), but could not keep them due to HARSH treble and simbilance (spelled right?) that hurt my ears. But I loved the bass. Then I auditioned the 880's (post-'05) and the 990's (again, post-'05). The 880's lacked the bass I loved in the 990's, and had harsh treble that hurt my ears and had simbilance issues. Definate NO! The new 990's had the same problem, but again had the bass I love! So I ordered the AKG K701. I started with Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen and loved it. The detail was great, and no simbilance or harsh treble to wear my ears out!
Then I played some Mars Volta, and noticed a complete lack of bass that was unnacceptable. Also the AKG was not able to handle bass at high volumes, and distorted the bass and became muddy when I cranked them. The 990's were alwasy able to handle high volume and never distorted the bass, the only flaw they had is the harsh treble and simbilance.

What I'm looking for is the best of both worlds: The bass performance of 990's and their ability to handle louder volumes, but WITHOUT harshness and simbilance, which in the K701's proved NOT to be a problem. So far, actually, the PX-100's I have have met all my needs, except they cant handle loud volumes. I've been using them for a few months till i figure this out. You CAN blast them, but they start to die after a few days of use.

So in the end is the question: From your experience, and from what I told you, should the HD 600 or 650 solve my problem? The 990's needed to be less harsh/simbilence, the px-100's needed to be able to consistently handle high volumes, and the K701's needed more bass and to be louder. Any other Brand/Model you can suggest?

How long have you been using the K701s? The low end fills out quite a bit after a few weeks or so of regular use.

Also, do you happen to know anything about the internal design of your amp? On some of the really low-end heavy Mars Volta tracks, I find I need over 50mA for some transients if I'm listening at a decent amount of volume, which will clip on an OPA2134 driving the K701s directly. It also just sounds like crap, generally, since that op-amp isn't really designed to drive a 62 ohm nominal load. They say they use Burr-Brown op-amps, which makes me think OPA134/2134 (or, less likely, 627), but do not mention if they buffer or not.

The HD600 might help; I wouldn't go for the HD650 if you valued the detail of the K701, personally. I find the HD650 lags in detail retention, and yes I've heard it on a wide variety of setups and on amps, single ended and balanced, including the Beta22 and the Dynamight. It's an OK headphone, but I think the HD600 is probably a better choice if you want to go that route.

Nonetheless, the first thing I'd probably do is a. give the K701 some time if you haven't already and b. see if your amp is buffered, because if it isn't you're probably getting distortion.

Feb 11, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #17 of 19
Caution, the Denon 2000's i tried at my local shop turned out to be exactly what I needed! As soon as I get my refund for my K701's I will be dropping in to buy my Dennons!

So in conclusion: Sennheiser PX-100's and DENON 2000's for the win!

BONUS QUESTION! Can anyone tell me in technical terms why the 2000's sound better with my amp? (I'm looking at you Filburt!) Is there a beetter amp out there I could look into trading-up to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back