I need advice! I've owned: DT990, AKG K701, tried: DT880, WTB: HD600 or 650
Feb 6, 2009 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

southpark2033

New Head-Fier
Hello I need some advice based on your experiences witth this gear:

My Setup:
I am using an iPod Classic 160GB with Apple Lossless files (Converted from FLAC)
I purchased a Prelude Audio portable amp (runs on two 9V)
I run the iPod through the mini stereo jack into the amp, then to my headphones.
I know the iPod doesn't really cut it as a scource. It has limited EQ capabilities, and is a consumer-grade device, but I really want this to work.

Music I listen to:
Classic Rock (Zep/Floyd)
Alternative (Radiohead/Mars Volta)
Metal (Tool/SOAD)
Electronica (Daft Punk/Venetian Snares)

So far I loved the bass of the DT 990's (pre-'05), but could not keep them due to HARSH treble and simbilance (spelled right?) that hurt my ears. But I loved the bass. Then I auditioned the 880's (post-'05) and the 990's (again, post-'05). The 880's lacked the bass I loved in the 990's, and had harsh treble that hurt my ears and had simbilance issues. Definate NO! The new 990's had the same problem, but again had the bass I love! So I ordered the AKG K701. I started with Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen and loved it. The detail was great, and no simbilance or harsh treble to wear my ears out!
Then I played some Mars Volta, and noticed a complete lack of bass that was unnacceptable. Also the AKG was not able to handle bass at high volumes, and distorted the bass and became muddy when I cranked them. The 990's were alwasy able to handle high volume and never distorted the bass, the only flaw they had is the harsh treble and simbilance.

What I'm looking for is the best of both worlds: The bass performance of 990's and their ability to handle louder volumes, but WITHOUT harshness and simbilance, which in the K701's proved NOT to be a problem. So far, actually, the PX-100's I have have met all my needs, except they cant handle loud volumes. I've been using them for a few months till i figure this out. You CAN blast them, but they start to die after a few days of use.

So in the end is the question: From your experience, and from what I told you, should the HD 600 or 650 solve my problem? The 990's needed to be less harsh/simbilence, the px-100's needed to be able to consistently handle high volumes, and the K701's needed more bass and to be louder. Any other Brand/Model you can suggest?

Feb 6, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #2 of 19
The hd600s have a tad more bass than the 880s, and the 650s have a tad more than the 600s. None of them have comparable bass to the 990s in terms of quantity (I've only heard the '03 version) If you want something comparable in the bass department and not simbilant. Look into the Denon D2000s, they reminded me somewhat of the 990s.

Feb 6, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 19
The Sennheisers will give you the bass you want, especially the HD-650. However, the weak link is not the iPod; it's the portable amp. If you want tp push the low end on a pair of full-sized cans you need power from the wall, not 9 volt batteries. An iPod is a decent source, the quality of a recording is a bigger factor than the player. If you're willing to invest in a desktop amp, the HD-650 is an excellent choice.

Also, have you considered a Grado? They sound great right out of an iPod. I run a RS-1 that way when I travel and am very happy with the sound. It sounds like you enjoy rock, so a nice Grado or Alessandro might be a perfect fit.

Feb 7, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 19
The weak link is the IPOD if you use the EQ.... DO NOT USE THE IPOD EQ!!!!! It will distort no matter how good your amp is. Even if you had a zana deux apache, or b22 it will still clip if you use the ipods built in EQ

Feb 7, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 19
Yes I know the iPod EQ is horrible, but if you use "Sound Check" the 990's had no problem. I also listen with EQ off and no sound check, using the recording's original EQ. Like I said I only listen to Apple Lossless.

Looks like I should look into the 650's (too bad the're $$$) Oh and I've listend to every pair of Geado's from $60 - $325 at my local shop and did not like any of them!

I would like more advice, if possible. I will look up the dennon model too!

Feb 7, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #6 of 19
The HD650s can be found for $250 if you can wait.
The Denon D2000 can be found for about $225

Feb 7, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 19
I like the PX100s too. They work very well with my unamped Fuze and deliver a good rendition of the Sennheiser house sound without any EQ....

But Uncle Erik was right.

You don't have enough amp to properly power the headphones you've tried.

My suggestion would be, since you like the PX100, to try a wall wart version of an M^3 and then the 650s.
darthsmile.gif
darthsmile.gif

USG

Feb 7, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #8 of 19
If you get the HD600/HD650, I can already foresee you complaining them being too dark. What you are looking for is obviously the SR225, it has the highs of the K701 and more bass. Either that, or you might want to upgrade your source to something that gives the K701 more warmth.

Feb 7, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, have you considered a Grado? They sound great right out of an iPod. I run a RS-1 that way when I travel and am very happy with the sound. It sounds like you enjoy rock, so a nice Grado or Alessandro might be a perfect fit.

This would be my recommendation as well.

Feb 7, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #11 of 19
southpark2033: "simbilance" is spelled as "sibilance"
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #13 of 19
I would go grado. They won't be limited by your amp like the other cans that you listed, and they sound absolutely fantastic with rock.

Feb 8, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #14 of 19
Sounds like HD600s would be decent for you. They are well balanced headphones with solid bass, but you have to get them recabled. These don't really sound dark to me.

Feb 8, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevM2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like HD600s would be decent for you. They are well balanced headphones with solid bass, but you have to get them recabled. These don't really sound dark to me.

Please see the cable test threads and the 'all amps sound the same' thread before considering spending any money .....

USG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back