I Need Advice / Denon AH-D5000
Nov 25, 2008 at 8:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Lamenthe

100+ Head-Fier
I purchased AKG K701 headphones a few months ago and as much as I respect their analytical accuracy, they felt a little too airy and neutral for my taste.

So, I need advice as to which headphones to buy next to fulfill my need for a more intimate sound. After doing some minimal research, I'm thinking about buying Denon AH-D5000's. What do you guys think?

I'm relatively new to the audiophile world and would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions on what I should buy.

PS: I mainly listen to bands like Muse and Radiohead, as well as a dash of instrumental hip-hop. And my budget is anywhere between 300-500 dollars.

Nov 25, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #3 of 14
Sadly no amp or good source yet since I've just started. I plan on doing more research before getting an amp (again any suggestions welcome).

Right now my source is just my macbook pro
frown.gif

I also just realized from a recent review that the D5000's HAVE to be amped, so I'm a bit behind on all that. I'm working on it though. (feeling a little foolish)

Nov 25, 2008 at 9:40 AM Post #4 of 14
They are probably much easier to drive than your current k701.

Nov 25, 2008 at 9:54 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamenthe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sadly no amp or good source yet since I've just started. I plan on doing more research before getting an amp (again any suggestions welcome).

Right now my source is just my macbook pro
frown.gif

I also just realized from a recent review that the D5000's HAVE to be amped, so I'm a bit behind on all that. I'm working on it though. (feeling a little foolish)

Asking for advice like this is wise. Not asking is a more likely reason to feel foolish. What do you want your source to be, your macbook, or you're wanting suggestions? What is your total budget for headphones, amp, and a DAC/source?

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:00 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by misterDX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my suggestion is to get audio technica, they usually need less power to drive, so no amps it ok

If you mean just loudness, the denons probably don't need much power as well.
If i just plug my d7000 on the my x fi without amp, I need to be at ~15% of the main volume to be at my listening level, so there is quite a margin left, enough to make someone go deaf.
Doesn't mean that it doesn't get better with amp though but I guess that would also be true for the audio technica cans.

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:02 AM Post #8 of 14
If you are looking for something like the K701 but more exciting, more intimate, less analytical etc the SA5000 and AD2000 is the usual recommendation. The AD2000 does very well unamped, so I recommend it. If you want something the opposite of the K701 the HD650 is the usual recommendation, but until you get a better source I wouldn't recommend it to you. If you want lots of bass you can consider the D5000, but IMHO the D2000 might actually be a better deal.

Alternatively, if you don't actually hate the K701 you might want to get a better source first.

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #9 of 14
Thanks for all the help! I'll take all your suggestions into consideration as I continue to debate what to purchase. I'm in this for the long haul, so I'm trying to get the best I can afford.

To 1Time:
I definitely want to get a better source than a macbook, but I have no idea where to even start. I'm willing to spend up to $500 in each category, but of course quality + value would be best.

For an amp, I've been reading through reviews on this site and I've about settled on a Meier Audio 3-move. (I'm in college so portable sources/amps are preferable)

Nov 25, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

To 1Time:
I definitely want to get a better source than a macbook, but I have no idea where to even start. I'm willing to spend up to $500 in each category, but of course quality + value would be best.

For an amp, I've been reading through reviews on this site and I've about settled on a Meier Audio 3-move. (I'm in college so portable sources/amps are preferable)

OK, portable. So do you want the headphones to be good at not leaking sound out so to not bother others? And, do you want the headphones to be good at blocking external sounds from bothering you? Or, is this not so much of a concern?

How important to you are the looks, size, and durability of the headphones?

So your budget for all of this is up to a total of $1500. It's likely better to look at it that way than to divide and conquer yourself with three $500 categories.

To help get you up to speed regarding your source, I suggest reading and/or posting in the "Portable Source Gear" forum.

Regarding your amp, I suggest holding off on narrowing that down until after you've narrowed down your headphone selection.

You mentioned in your original post that you want something more intimate sounding and not as spacious and analytical sounding as the K701. So it seems you're wanting headphones with a smaller sound stage than the spacious soundstage of the K701. Are you also wanting headphones with more bass? What type of music do you listen to? Edit: "bands like Muse and Radiohead, as well as a dash of instrumental hip-hop".

Nov 25, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #11 of 14
Looks along with comfort and size are very important (K701's are a little too large for travel). Closed/sound blocking is preferable.

A good level of bass (but not overwhelming) is important.

I listen to: Muse, Radiohead, Gorillaz, Blue Sky Black Death, Wu Tang Clan, etc. Basically alternative -> hip/hop.

I'll read up on the source forum right now. Thanks again for help 1Time. Hope this narrows things down.

Nov 25, 2008 at 11:59 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Looks along with comfort and size are very important (K701's are a little too large for travel). Closed/sound blocking is preferable.

A good level of bass (but not overwhelming) is important.

I listen to: Muse, Radiohead, Gorillaz, Blue Sky Black Death, Wu Tang Clan, etc. Basically alternative -> hip/hop.

I'll read up on the source forum right now. Thanks again for help 1Time. Hope this narrows things down.

You're welcome. You might want to consider the limited edition ATH-ESW10; search Head-Fi for "ESW10". It's selling new on eBay from Japan for just over $500 shipped. However, FWIR it doesn't block out external sounds very well.

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #13 of 14
The only downside of the D5000 is that the headphones themselves resonate with the bass. Markl wrote up such a good guide to modding and damping them that he started up his own business (Lawton Audio) dedicated to it. The mods (which are DIY) tame the bass. Denons do tend to have a fair bit of bass, but one grows to appreciate the huge body the sound has, which makes music a pleasure to listen to. They also drive ok out of a wide range of gear, yet grow as the quality of source and amp increase.

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #14 of 14
Keces DA-151 + Head-Direct EF1 + D2000 or D5000 = I wrote a shopping list for you. Hope you like
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back