I need a term defined real quickly please.
Jan 8, 2002 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 15
It's a marketing term much like "Digital Headphones". It really means nothing. It's Sony-speak for "Bend-over". With the exception of the MDR-V6.

Jan 8, 2002 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 15
"Studio Monitor" refers to a monitoring device, which can be a speaker or a headphone, in a professional or recording situation.
For instance, you can see Sony phones on Frasier and Late Night with Conan OBrien. The radio stations and tv stations uses them.
As do many audio professionals.

Many headphone manufacturers make "studio Monitors" headphones.

As mentioned, many manufacturers use the term just as hype.

Like the word "digital" in reference to headphones. All hooey.
Good sound comes from studio tapes, and vinyl, not just "Digital".

It's manufacturing hype. Sound quality and build quality are what count, as well as value to buyer.

Jan 8, 2002 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 15
Nothing it's just a name

the only thing I can see why they would call these studio monitors

or anything studio wise is the robustness of them
as the v6 are built solidly, as are the akg line
and as are the beyer dyamics and alot of sennheiser

perhaps as well because they isolate because they are closed cans maybe?

again though studio monitor is just a name on the freken headband and box
lol
I even took the damned tacky simbol from the headband with fingernail polish (btw--- was my gf's fingernail polish)..

Jan 8, 2002 at 5:51 AM Post #6 of 15
Well, no, it's not complete hooey. A studio monitor distinctly does not have a euphonic sound, such as the Senn HD600's. It's intended to give a very accurate presentation of the source signal.

It's an acknowledgement to the audiophile arena, in that we don't care so much about "accurate" as sounding good.

Jan 8, 2002 at 7:48 AM Post #7 of 15
The acknowledgement being to put these labels on cans that sound 'accurate' rather than 'good' so that we know to avoid them?

Seems like lots of audiophiles like 'studio monitors' nevertheless
confused.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 8, 2002 at 1:42 PM Post #8 of 15
well again like I want to point out the v6/7506 has an exaggerated high midrange which causes a bit of harshness but allows to monitor most obvious recording errors

I guess that is why it is studio moinitor as well

Jan 8, 2002 at 2:37 PM Post #9 of 15
Well, the Pro models are suppose to be:

1) neutral
2) rugged built quailty
3) detailed
4) almost are always closed

However, they almost never sound as good as the audiophile headphones, since audiophile headphones were made to listen to music in the highest quality possible, while the Studio Monitors were made just so that the producer could make a mix. Different wants, different needs, different results.

Jan 8, 2002 at 3:22 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

However, they almost never sound as good as the audiophile headphones, since audiophile headphones were made to listen to music in the highest quality possible, while the Studio Monitors were made just so that the producer could make a mix.

KR,
That's debatable, I'd say. This label studio monitor obviously claims that a can is probably closed, rugged and tailored to the pro market. But why would professionals want anything worse than audiophiles? A professional's criteria might be different, and he probably isn't as easily seduced by sonic fireworks, hi-fi effects and huge soundstages without which audio gear won't sell to audiophiles. And who would be more dependent on neutral and accurate sound than professionals? Grado HP-1/2s for example: haven't they been marketed with lots of recommendations from professional users, from renowned recording and mixing engineers? Lowly listeners like us might not be on the same side of the barricade with professionals, but shouldn't we want the same thing in the end?

Jan 8, 2002 at 6:19 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by r3cc0s
well again like I want to point out the v6/7506 has an exaggerated high midrange which causes a bit of harshness but allows to monitor most obvious recording errors

r3cc0s, I don't hear that on my pair of V6/7506 -- to me, the upper midrange is dry and/or cold, and the midrange is a bit recessed compared to the bass and highs.

Jan 8, 2002 at 6:26 PM Post #12 of 15
acctuality I think the treble is rolled off
the normal mids are quite flat
and the bass is a bit higher than flat

but the top midrange close to treble maybe
is a bit hyped and cold sounding but hyped

Jan 8, 2002 at 6:35 PM Post #13 of 15
Yeah, MACDef - I would think a cold sounding speaker has an exxagerated upper midrange, although I could be wrong, cold also means lean on bass, which the V6es are most definanlty not from what I hear.

When a package says "Studio Monitor", it is marketingspeak which makes you want to believe that the headphones made were made to sound accurate and detailed, are durable, and are gneerally closed. My old Sony MDR-V200 "Studio Monitors" would be suitable for nothing in the studio. Sure, they are durable, but they have no detail, no highs, no bass, and sound very harsh and grating. They are durable though. I ripped them apart, and they were actually a modular design, but I found that out after I hacked one of the major pieces to bits so they are worthless now except for the earpads, which I am trying to fit onto some Koss KSC-50s and still have them go on my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2002 at 9:41 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Tomcat
That's debatable, I'd say. This label studio monitor obviously claims that a can is probably closed, rugged and tailored to the pro market. But why would professionals want anything worse than audiophiles? A professional's criteria might be different, and he probably isn't as easily seduced by sonic fireworks, hi-fi effects and huge soundstages without which audio gear won't sell to audiophiles. And who would be more dependent on neutral and accurate sound than professionals? Grado HP-1/2s for example: haven't they been marketed with lots of recommendations from professional users, from renowned recording and mixing engineers? Lowly listeners like us might not be on the same side of the barricade with professionals, but shouldn't we want the same thing in the end?

I recommend you do a search on posts by someone going by the name of "Mike Walker" -- he explained very well why some of us might want something different. Synopsis -- if it sounds good on a pair of V6/7506's, it'll sound good on anything.

Now, I should qualify that -- some of us obviously like the up-front presentation of, E.G., the V6/7506's/studio monitors.

Jan 8, 2002 at 11:23 PM Post #15 of 15
I think the term "studio monitor" (excluding the term headphone or speaker) means they're made for recording/broadcast. The frequency response is probably reduced to what the average joe can pick up on (removes the need for separate high pass and low pass filter). I bet they sound like crap, but let you pick up every single detail in the sound.

Think about it, why else would they use the term "studio" which means work area, and "monitor" which means observe/view in the same phrase?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back