I need a sub 100$ IEM.
Jul 18, 2006 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

MASantos

Headphoneus Supremus
I sold my er4p because I didn't use them a lot but I just started using the bus to go to work and I found that Koss KSC 75 are not good for loud environments...

I don't need such an expensive IEM tough. My maximum budget is 100$. No more than that so please don't sugest: "spend just a bit more and get...."
I will use these around 2 hours each day so confort and durability is a must.
I think that the ety's where just a bit bright and lacking bass. Source is a 60gb 4gen Ipod and amp a DIY PINT.

What do you guys recomend?

Thanks in advance

manuel

Jul 18, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #4 of 21
Since you are used to Etymotic sound signature,I suggest you to try Altec Lansing im716 phones.They have great bang for the buck factor.You can get from Amazon around 79$

But if you want bass,You could give it a try to the Westone UM1's.But after the Ety's their highs sound very recessed.

Take Care,
EC

Jul 18, 2006 at 1:16 PM Post #5 of 21
what about the im616? what is the difference between that and the im716??

Also waht is the difference between the c and g in shure IEM's? I know the g series are for gaming but waht is the difference in sound?

Jul 18, 2006 at 1:24 PM Post #6 of 21
Nah,it's better and wise choice to get im716's 'cuz you got two phones in a phone
biggrin.gif
HD and Bass modes are cool features to get with im716's

Take Care,
EC

Jul 18, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #7 of 21
I will definitely not get the im716. I don't like to have a volume control online, nor do I need the two modes presentation. Asside form tha they look like really nice IEM's.

Jul 18, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos
Also waht is the difference between the c and g in shure IEM's? I know the g series are for gaming but waht is the difference in sound?

No difference. Only difference between C and G in the Shure is the color and the length of the cable.

Good listening,
Andrew

Jul 18, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #10 of 21
If you needs are for decent (But not necessarily audiophile) quality, and enough isolation to listen on a bus without cranking the volume up too far it's well worth considering a set of canalphones like the Creative EP-630 or the Sennheiser CX300. They will be well under your budget and do the job just fine.

Simon

Jul 18, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by funkadelic
If you needs are for decent (But not necessarily audiophile) quality, and enough isolation to listen on a bus without cranking the volume up too far it's well worth considering a set of canalphones like the Creative EP-630 or the Sennheiser CX300. They will be well under your budget and do the job just fine.

Simon

I also tought like that. I won't be doing any critical listening on the bus! I just want to relax before and after a working day. Maybe I should just save the money and get the senns. I can get them loccaly for 36€(48$)

Jul 18, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #12 of 21
Panasonic HJE70's may be worth a try, I even like the HJE50's for a cheap IEM. Around $75 on Buy.com and you can return them if they are not your cup of tea.

Jul 18, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #13 of 21
I am a wild ER-6i fanboy, but in this case I will argue against it. If an amped ER-4P is too bass light, and too bright besides, the ER-6i will not give greater satisfaction in those areas.

The iM716 (which I know you've decided against) might satisfy better, with its bass enhancement switched on. I felt the bass boost was quite effective, but since that's not the kind of tone I like, I'm not well suited to judge how it will appeal to those who like that sort of thing. I will say that even in bass-boost mode, I feel the iM716 is not treble-limited. If you find a lack of treble rolloff unpleasant, this IEM is not for you.

The other IEM in your price range with which I'm familiar is the Shure E2C. Bass: check (my basshead-bigot friend likes them for airplane trips). Treble roll-off: check. Durability: check (or check-plus; it's sturdy). Comfort: uhhhh. The best I can say is that it's a bit large but there's a good chance that with some experimentation and practice you'll get used to it.

Jul 18, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #14 of 21
When I used the ER4 with an amp I would use the p-s conversion cable. That said I still found the bass weak! I just bid on the shure someone is selling on ebay anounced in the FS forums.

What about the new d-jays?

Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch
I am a wild ER-6i fanboy, but in this case I will argue against it. If an amped ER-4P is too bass light, and too bright besides, the ER-6i will not give greater satisfaction in those areas.

The iM716 (which I know you've decided against) might satisfy better, with its bass enhancement switched on. I felt the bass boost was quite effective, but since that's not the kind of tone I like, I'm not well suited to judge how it will appeal to those who like that sort of thing. I will say that even in bass-boost mode, I feel the iM716 is not treble-limited. If you find a lack of treble rolloff unpleasant, this IEM is not for you.

The other IEM in your price range with which I'm familiar is the Shure E2C. Bass: check (my basshead-bigot friend likes them for airplane trips). Treble roll-off: check. Durability: check (or check-plus; it's sturdy). Comfort: uhhhh. The best I can say is that it's a bit large but there's a good chance that with some experimentation and practice you'll get used to it.

Jul 18, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #15 of 21
Hi MASantos,

I love Ety ER-6i but I won't recommend them for you if you find Etys too bright. For you, I say, Shure E2 or Sennheiser CX300. They are probably the 2 best sounding dynamic drivers you can find in any IEM, and no armature driver at this price range will give you enough bass if ER-6i doesn't do it for you. Shure E2 has nice tight bass, and are very durable and comfortable as long as your ears aren't too small, and will give you more isolation than any other dynamic driver out there. CX300 is also a very good choice, probably sounding better than Shure E2, especially in the high end, are very light weight and small, probably more comfortable than E2 for every living human being. Cable is thin so I hope you are not too rough on your gear. Shures are definitely more durable. Both cables are very good with not producing much microphonics. Hope you find this info helpful...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back