I need a primer to the world of portable audio
Jan 14, 2016 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

husafreak

100+ Head-Fier
How embarrassing, here I am an old audiophile who has a great stereo at home but spends the vast majority of his listening time on the road listening to an ipod through Klipsch X-10's (not too bad those) when sedentary or Bose earbuds when active. And looking forward to getting home to do some real listening.
And then I get into a tube headphone amp for something different to play with at home and find Head-Fi forums. And find out I don't know squat about portable audio!
I need to find a primer on what "systems" are available and how they can be used. I read reviews for hours here but I don't know where to a start! I don't understand much of the software related tech. I can read 5 star gushing reviews on the cheapest to the most expensive components available. How can that be? There seems to be very little standardization in the Head-Fi world. So back to basics. What components are available? How do they go together? Actually, I am lucky to come into this with a clean slate and start with a coherent system from the ground up. And avoid buying a bunch of products the don't work well together.
So, I would like a high end portable setup. Sample question is wether to buy a portable DAC to go between some IEM's and my ipod or MAC. Or get one of those portable players that store larger music files. But then how do I get/create those files? I have tons of LP,s and CD's but have only ever converted CD's via itunes and thought LP's are only for home listening... 
Thanks for any advice or links to this basic info. 

Jan 14, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 19
I'm more or less in the same boat as you. I have a decent set of IEM's (shure 535s which admittedly could use an upgrade) but lack enough of a reason to stop streaming Tidal from my iPhone 6S... I have an Astell & Kern AK320 but they are so limited in their capability (can't get them to work properly as a USB DAC which really leaves it only able to serve single duty) and are very bulky compared to my iPhone which is always available by default. I fear I may end up selling the player and resorting to my mobile phone for playback...

I think a primer or a beginner's guide with some sample starter setups sorted by budget can help us newbies tremendously!

Jan 14, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 19
I don't really know much about portable gear but I'm also starting to get my feet wet in this area. I hear Cavalli is releasing a new portable amplifier at some point that has recieved good feedback. Liquid Spark it's called. Could be used together with a smartphone I guess. 

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #5 of 19
What is your budget? How much battery life do you need? How bulky and heavy can your portable rig be? Where do you plan to keep the player when using it portably?

The best portable players are bulky and heavy, and get short battery life. They also are expensive. That is why many feel that they will make do with slightly lower sound quality to get a lighter and cheaper player, especially if they want more than 11 hours of battery life.  Those who want a player that will be comfortable to keep in a shirt pocket typically settle for even lower sound quality. The first things you should decide are your budget, the minimum battery life that is acceptable to you, and the maximum size and weight the player can have. The Fiio players are very popular here, especially the $99 Fiio X1. I have the X1, and at 3.7 ounces it is heavy to keep in a shirt pocket. It just barely fits in many shirt pockets, so there really isn't room for much else in a shirt pocket if you keep the Fiio X1 there. If you plan to keep the player in a jacket pocket or coat pocket, then the Fiio X1 or the even heavier Fiio x3ii or x5ii might be okay for you, although if you add an external amp, that makes the combination much larger and heavier. My Fiio X1 stays home. For portable use I have Sandisk Clip players, and a Fiio M3. The Fiio m3 is only 1.4 ounces and much thinner than the X1. The X1 gets around 11 hours of battery life, while the M3 gets 24 hours. The Sandisk Clip players weigh under an ounce, and have a built in clip.

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 19
Are these to be used with an iPhone or iPod or are they replacements for iPods? How do you load song files on them? 8 hours would be fine. Something the size of a big smartphone. 1 large for everything.

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 19
Are these to be used with an iPhone or iPod or are they replacements for iPods? How do you load song files on them? 8 hours would be fine. Something the size of a big smartphone. 1 large for everything.

These players are instead of an ipod. With players such as the Fiio X1, x3ii, X5ii,or  M3 which have a card slot, you could load the music on a card first, then insert the card in the player. Or you could connect the player to a pc with the card in the player, then transfer the music to the player using Windows Explorer copy and paste. How much are you willing to spend? The Fiio X1 is $99, the X3ii is $199, the X5ii is $350, the X7 is $650. Other popular players here are the ibasso DX80 for $359, ibasso DX50 for $219, Hidiz AP100 for $178, and the Xduoo X3 for $110. There are more expensive brands such as Astell & Kern, although not that many here think their players at $500 and up are worth the price. As for value for the price, the Fiio X1 probably delivers the best value for the price. The Fiio X5ii and Xduoo X3 have two card slots. The Xduoo X3 unfortunately has a 0.83% pitch error with 44.1 files. this is likely fixable with a new firmware, although the question is when it will be fixed. 

What formats are your files in? The Fiio X1 supports  APE, FLAC, ALAC, WAV, WMA, AAC, OGG, MP3, MP2 . Many start with the Fiio X1, then perhaps get something better later. It is always good to have more than one player.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1192666-REG/fiio_x1_black_x1_portable_high_resolution.html

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #8 of 19
Thanks for your help. I don't have any music files. Just CD's and LP's, I use iTunes to convert CD's to those files and load my iPod. I expect to spent about a grand to put together a complete travel rig with nice IEM's a player and whatever is necessary to convert my collection to files.
BTW I was reading the letters to the editor in a new Absolute Sound magazine earlier today and someone else had a similar question. They recommended an artical on understanding digital music systems by Jeffrey Barrish and guides on computer audio demystified and set up guide on Audio Quests website. I really appreciate you advice, thanks.

Jan 15, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #9 of 19
Thanks for your help. I don't have any music files. Just CD's and LP's, I use iTunes to convert CD's to those files and load my iPod. I expect to spent about a grand to put together a complete travel rig with nice IEM's a player and whatever is necessary to convert my collection to files.
BTW I was reading the letters to the editor in a new Absolute Sound magazine earlier today and someone else had a similar question. They recommended an artical on understanding digital music systems by Jeffrey Barrish and guides on computer audio demystified and set up guide on Audio Quests website. I really appreciate you advice, thanks.

If you are willing to spend around $1,000 or so, then perhaps you should consider the Fiio X5ii for $349. It is very popular here, specially since it has two card slots. As for IEMs, it can get kind of tricky, as it isn't just about sound quality, but about fit and comfort. I have some IEMs I don't use anymore since I find them very uncomfortable. Many places also won't accept the return of IEMs(and only replace defective ones with another of the same model).
Due to the comfort factor, I am afraid to spend plenty on IEMs and have limited my purchases to less expensive ones. The strange thing is that the ones I have that I like the best weren't the most expensive ones. Some IEMs, especially some very expensive ones, have poor build quality and break rather easily. It seems true that the big brands such as Sony, JVC, AKG, etc., have much better quality control, and focus much more on ruggedness than most boutique brands. Of course there are exceptions. How large is your music library(in hours of music)? How much would you want to carry with you? Carrying around music in lossless takes up plenty of space. It probably doesn't make sense to use lossless for your records on your portable player. You could record them to WAV files(or perhaps FLAC if you can find software to do that), then perhaps convert copies of them to 320 kbps mp3 files for the portable player. The CDs you could have on your player as FLAC files.

You should think about whether you want to use a separate amp or not. The separate amp makes the portable rig much bulkier and heavier. With a separate amp you need to focus even more on where you plan to put the player when you carry it with you. You might need a separate pouch other thing to carry it, as it may not fit in a jacket pocket. I have been using portable music players for around 25 years or so. With portable items many are willing to sacrifice some sound quality to have a much lighter and smaller portable setup. Some though have a few portable players, having at least one that is very small and light when they want to be very active. For me, I think of the Fiio X1, X3ii, and x5ii and similar sized and weight players as being more in the transportable category rather than being truly portable. Yes, a player between 3.7 ounces and 6 ounces can be carried around, however one gets constantly reminded of its weight and bulk. Contrast that with a player that is between 0.8 ounces and 1.4 ounces, which one can easily forget they have with them. 

Jan 15, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by husafreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So, I would like a high end portable setup. Sample question is wether to buy a portable DAC to go between some IEM's and my ipod or MAC. Or get one of those portable players that store larger music files. But then how do I get/create those files? I have tons of LP,s and CD's but have only ever converted CD's via itunes and thought LP's are only for home listening.

If you've only ever used iTunes, plus you own a Mac and an iPod, scratch the portable players off your list and never even think about them ever again. These were designed by people who asked for drag and drop and highlight then click delete, and absolutely all other ways must work in ways that iTunes does not. At minimum, you need to re-rip your digital audio library and manually tag them all.  The less you understood in what I just said, all the more you should stay the hell away from anything that isn't Apple.

Originally Posted by husafreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And then I get into a tube headphone amp for something different to play with at home and find Head-Fi forums. And find out I don't know squat about portable audio!
I need to find a primer on what "systems" are available and how they can be used. I read reviews for hours here but I don't know where to a start! I don't understand much of the software related tech. I can read 5 star gushing reviews on the cheapest to the most expensive components available. How can that be? There seems to be very little standardization in the Head-Fi world. So back to basics. What components are available? How do they go together? Actually, I am lucky to come into this with a clean slate and start with a coherent system from the ground up. And avoid buying a bunch of products the don't work well together.
So, I would like a high end portable setup. Sample question is wether to buy a portable DAC to go between some IEM's and my ipod or MAC.

Look for a DAC-HPamp that has "Made For iDevice" certification. Usually it has a USB-A port instead of a USB-B. Get one that has both so your Mac also works with it. Note that newer models might not work on iTunes-only devices (ie, old iPods, not iOS).

Second, blow as little as possible money on the above device, and then as much as possible on the best custom in-ear monitor you can afford. Portable listening isn't going to get any better than those when it comes to isolation and efficiency. In fact, more often that not you might not even need the DAC-HPamp, so buy the CIEM first. If there's no noise or distortion using your iPod or Mac, then you can skip the DAC+HPamp, unless you want one with a more convenient volume control knob, although you need to get one that won't have issues driving a high efficiency/sensitivity CIEM.

https://www.1964ears.com/product/1964-A4-Custom-In-Ear-Monitor

Jan 15, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #11 of 19
I not read every post in detail so forgive any duplication.

I don't have a mac, I use PC format but I have an Iphone and Ipad and think that is a good option for you.  I have 64 gb of storage so it can hold lots of 256kbps or lossless music.  I think the amp/dac in the iphone is great, albeit I don't have a lot to compare it to.  The interface is great and has good battery life.  You can also connect it directly with one cable to a TEAC HA-P50 or the Oppo device or a small desktop unit if you travel with a suitcase or bag.  The TEAC unit comes with an app for the idevice with an equalizer if you are into that (I am not) or for high res music.  To me the player seems a duplication of the my phone so I avoid the cost and extra device.  There are some downsides if you need to interface the idevice to a desktop system due to apple's lightning connector being fickle about power and many companies making the poor decision to not power their usb port (Schiit and others). 

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #12 of 19
Wow. Lots to think about here, lots of info. One big question for me is do IEM's and CIEM's make a racket when moving around? With my Klipsch X-10 I have to be sitting still when I listen, the movement of the cord creates "thunder" in my ears. So I cannot use that when I move. CIEM's are nice though. I have had a couple of ear plugs made over the ears that were just for sound attenuation, "musicians" ear plugs (that was a little known secret in the air force, you could get them but they were not issued or advertised).
For walking, running, or working out I have to switch to my Bose earbuds. Sound quality takes a dive but it is OK when I am active and not actively listening. Just grooving along. So that will remain. I will probably just use my iphone or ipod and earbuds for exercise.
To get personal for a minute I am in hotel rooms and airports and airplanes and coffee shops a lot! Just hanging out when a way from home. I want to reproduce the home high end listening experience I crave in those places. Six ounces and something the size of a cigarrette pack is fine. IEM's appeal because I don't want to carry head phones or leave them on my head (too old for that LOL). I don't want a bunch of wires and boxes to connect. That is why I am not crazy about using and external PDAC with an iphone.
I have a huge record and CD collection. I don't need it all on the road. I like to add and remove stuff from my player from time to time. Having it all would not be a problem, it is just not necessary. Storing high res music on memory cards sounds like a good solution. I question how close I can get to audiophile sound reproduction with an apple device running itunes. If I can, great, but it is a compression scheme so I don't see it happening. So I am leaning towards re-ripping my CD's and  LP's in a leisurely time to time manner and enjoying them on the road. But right now I don't know how to go about doing that or what file sizes and schemes would be best for me and my ears. I can put a CD in my MAC's slot, and I can download a file but that is where my knowledge ends. How do I record my records to files? Do I need a seperate ADC? I would be surprised if the portables devices could do that but I don't know.
I guess blue tooth would be a nice feature for any player I choose as well. I looked at an iRiver product that had that...

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #13 of 19
  Wow. Lots to think about here, lots of info. One big question for me is do IEM's and CIEM's make a racket when moving around? With my Klipsch X-10 I have to be sitting still when I listen, the movement of the cord creates "thunder" in my ears. So I cannot use that when I move. CIEM's are nice though. I have had a couple of ear plugs made over the ears that were just for sound attenuation, "musicians" ear plugs (that was a little known secret in the air force, you could get them but they were not issued or advertised).
For walking, running, or working out I have to switch to my Bose earbuds. Sound quality takes a dive but it is OK when I am active and not actively listening. Just grooving along. So that will remain. I will probably just use my iphone or ipod and earbuds for exercise.
To get personal for a minute I am in hotel rooms and airports and airplanes and coffee shops a lot! Just hanging out when a way from home. I want to reproduce the home high end listening experience I crave in those places. Six ounces and something the size of a cigarrette pack is fine. IEM's appeal because I don't want to carry head phones or leave them on my head (too old for that LOL). I don't want a bunch of wires and boxes to connect. That is why I am not crazy about using and external PDAC with an iphone.
I have a huge record and CD collection. I don't need it all on the road. I like to add and remove stuff from my player from time to time. Having it all would not be a problem, it is just not necessary. Storing high res music on memory cards sounds like a good solution. I question how close I can get to audiophile sound reproduction with an apple device running itunes. If I can, great, but it is a compression scheme so I don't see it happening. So I am leaning towards re-ripping my CD's and  LP's in a leisurely time to time manner and enjoying them on the road. But right now I don't know how to go about doing that or what file sizes and schemes would be best for me and my ears. I can put a CD in my MAC's slot, and I can download a file but that is where my knowledge ends. How do I record my records to files? Do I need a seperate ADC? I would be surprised if the portables devices could do that but I don't know.
I guess blue tooth would be a nice feature for any player I choose as well. I looked at an iRiver product that had that...

The noise you hear when touching the IEM cord while listening is called microphonics. Wearing an IEM with cord over the ear reduces it. so does using a shirt clip clipped as high as you can on your shirt. Some IEM cables are better designed to minimize microphonics.

" I will probably just use my iphone or ipod and earbuds for exercise."

it doesn't make sense to me to use an expensive iphone while exercising. Whatever is used while exercising is likely to get broken or damaged. Many here use a $35  one ounce Sandisk Clip clip on player and inexpensive earphones while exercising. That way if it is trashed it isn't a great annoyance. 

Bluetooth degrades the sound quality significantly. While not having a cord is convenient, it doesn't give very high quality sound. The technology isn't there yet. 

As for recording your records to digital, I guess some will suggest getting a high quality usb sound card, and connect it to the phono preamp.
Then you need to get some decent recording software. I guess you will also want to use software to edit the sound files, and to remove(or minimize?) the clicks and pops.
I never had a record collection. I waited until CDs came out to start my music collection. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back