I need a perfectly flat headphone amp
Oct 4, 2012 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

SilverS

Head-Fier
I've been looking around for information on this matter, and nothing has turned up, probably because its an odd or obvious question: is it normal for headphone amps to have a totally flat frequency response, or do most tend to add some flavor to certain frequency ranges.

Anyway, I need an absolutely pancake flat (in terms of freq response) amp for my LCD-2s for under $250!

Thanks Head-Fier's

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
I've been looking around for information on this matter, and nothing has turned up, probably because its an odd or obvious question: is it normal for headphone amps to have a totally flat frequency response, or do most tend to add some flavor to certain frequency ranges.

Anyway, I need an absolutely pancake flat (in terms of freq response) amp for my LCD-2s for under $250!

Thanks Head-Fier's

Usually solid state amps are designed to be flat.
Under 250, the O2 seems like a good option.

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 11
Virtually every solid state headphone amp is desgned to be flat.

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 11
Well, then which solid state amp will offer the most clarity for $250~

The LCD-2s are pretty revealing so I wanna pair them with the best amp that I can

also looking at the O2, it's really nice, just wanna make sure there isn't an alternative before buying

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

The LCD-2s are pretty revealing so I wanna pair them with the best amp that I can

also looking at the O2, it's really nice, just wanna make sure there isn't an alternative before buying

The O2 itself is transparent, so it'll give you whatever the source does. What're you going to be using it with?

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Not only is the O2 designed to be flat, it is measurably flat within its design limits.

The question is whether the LCD-2 really is within that amp's limits. I think the powering the HE-500 was a design goal not quite met by the final product. Is the LCD-2 another low-impedance, high-current headphone?

I'd check that carefully before buying an O2 for a planar. I think the idea of the O2 is absolutely astounding, but it's designed for "98%" of headphones. The $995 LCD-3 may be part of the "other 2%".

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #11 of 11
I got my O2 in the mail today this thing is incredible! Really lets every little detail through crystal clear, thank you everyone who recommended it. I will say it lacks the luster and warmth of my tube amp (obviously), but its so clean I can't believe what I'm hearing, love it!
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back